more time or cull

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bucks better beagles

Re: more time or cull

Post by bucks better beagles »

Gun Runner, it would seem you have answered your own question when you said, "The young dog only has 2 months of training and really it is only one day a week because of work and family.And for that one guy he said to drop off on olviet rd he knowes what else i have in the box the other 2 dogs are part of the freight train and mostly in the front and that goes out to toby and he is right about that pack of dog they are called LYNCH MOB kennles LOL.But back to the pup he really hasn't had a fair chance yet.thanks to all"

So, with the two options you gave us, you have voted to maintain and train. Case closed.

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

It is obviously up to you on what happens here but I would probably cull. I have not been in this as long as some of you but I have made a deal with myself. From now on if I am not happy with the way a dog is progressing by 6-8 months old they are gone. I have wasted so much time and money giving young dogs a little more time! There are too many dogs out there that can do what you expect out of them to keep the ones you are unsure of. At least that is how I am doing it from now on. I gave a dog away a little while back and the guy loves him. But he wasn't for me. So I say if they don't please you cull or give them to someone they will please.

bucks better beagles

Dale L: That was one of the wisest things I have ever heard said. New beaglers could save themselves a lot of heart ache by adhering to this principle.

Jwagner

Post by Jwagner »

I don't judge a dog in a big pack until it is at least contributing to a small pack via checks, jumps, or controlling the front. I don't know how anyone expects a pup or whatever age dog with limited experience. To out run a big pack, or even have a measurable difference in the big pack of dogs. IMO if a dog that was only running for 2 month's did make a noticeable difference, I would start to question the rest of my pack. In my personal experience young dogs that wouldn't go into a big pack. Normally weren't very proficient at running there own rabbit, and hardly contributed in a small pack. They just don't have the confidence yet to jump in there and go.

dog

Post by dog »

Jwagner wrote:I don't judge a dog in a big pack until it is at least contributing to a small pack via checks, jumps, or controlling the front. I don't know how anyone expects a pup or whatever age dog with limited experience. To out run a big pack, or even have a measurable difference in the big pack of dogs. IMO if a dog that was only running for 2 month's did make a noticeable difference, I would start to question the rest of my pack. In my personal experience young dogs that wouldn't go into a big pack. Normally weren't very proficient at running there own rabbit, and hardly contributed in a small pack. They just don't have the confidence yet to jump in there and go.
:check:

bucks better beagles

So JWagner, how to you vote? More time or cull?

Jwagner

Post by Jwagner »

to be honest buck I would need more info. before I would answer one way or the other. how does the dog hunt? can it find a rabbit? what kind of desire does it display? can it only site chase? b/c the original thread said it will put it's head down after a site chase with two other dogs. If the dog shows good desire and can jump his on rabbit consistently. just struggles on the tracking end and packing I would give it more time to develop. but it would be on a short leash. If it lacked hunt and desire as well, and couldn't find it own rabbit consistently I would cull.

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

I think I've probably got rid of some too quick, but at a year old they should be showing. It dose not cost anything to give him more time but I probably would be spending my time on something that was exciting me not making me mad. :mad2:

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

I have personally seen several dogs that didn't seem very promising at 6-8 months old turn into great rabbit hounds at 2-3 years old. I say give him more time. I think one of the biggest mistakes beaglers make is being too impatient. Things take time, plain and simple. Heck, some of the greatest beagles I've seen didn't even start until they were 8-12 months old!

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

OK i have the young male sister,and she is a fire cracker,every time out is getting better iam glad to have her in my box no question asked she was a good choose and there father speedy is just a great dog all the way around and he is out of speedy sport and grandfather is haunted hill shaker and alot of branko in his line.That young male is getting better but no were like is sister is doing but i do see improvement in him.I can tell you guys not scared to cull but his father and mother witch died by giving birth to pups had unbeliveable hunt line control,heart,jump.NOt saying they are the best but real good rabbit dogs that most people would be glad to own.That way i end up with the 3 dogs after she died the guy heart was broke and got hurt on job and could not run them very much.Heard good stuff about some other pups but they are all in eastern KY i think.So thats were we are at this point.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

lebro

Post by lebro »

augerhead wrote: It dose not cost anything to give him more time but I probably would be spending my time on something that was exciting me not making me mad.
this is how i cull. they are suppose to make you happy not mad.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

bucks better beagles

fleetwood said: I have personally seen several dogs that didn't seem very promising at 6-8 months old turn into great rabbit hounds at 2-3 years old. I say give him more time. I think one of the biggest mistakes beaglers make is being too impatient. Things take time, plain and simple. Heck, some of the greatest beagles I've seen didn't even start until they were 8-12 months old!

Of course that is true of anyone who has owned a lot of dogs. Problem is, for everyone of them late bloomers, I can show you a dozen of the ones that were not.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Buck, I completely agree with your last statement. That being said I have a couple of reasons for my answer to keep the dog. First is the dog has not been given enough opportunity imo, regardless of how old it is. And this comment is for gunrunner........I have fairly recently come out of the stage you are in. Not sure what to do because of my own personal lack of experience with starting dogs. That's why I say at least for this time around if he is at least coming along then give him time. Whether or not he makes it in your kennel you'll have at least gained the experience from watching him and learn better when and what to look for the next time around. I am a very firm believer in there are no short cuts to real world experience. Sometimes you actually need to go through it yourself to learn how to feel it out better down the road. Just ask my old man, I did many things and later went yea you were right. I just think this is one of those cases where there are too many variables to have a completely cut and dried answer. If the dog starts to cause you more headache than you want then cut him from the pack. All the opinions on this one are right but ask all of these guys how they came to that conclusion and I'll bet the answers will be because they have all been there and done that............we've all kept one a little too long at one point or another.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

A dog needs to be proficient solo and in a small pack before being thrown in with a large pack. If the dog is not yet proficient give him more FIELD time. Always best to start packing a dog with dogs that don't put big pressure on them. Too much pressure on a young dog will hurt more than help. After he is proficient with a small pack if he still doesn't suit you find him a home with someone new.

More of the right kind of field time is my vote.
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I would give him two year if not better cut his balls off find him a good home.
TheJohnBirchSociety