Do you hunt or just run him.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

Do you hunt or just run him.

Post by rabbitearl »

Over the years of doing these two couple pack trials,I have the chance to meet alot of these guys that just run dogs.Some used to hunt and have not hunting in twenty years.Do you hunt or just run him?

BCBeagles

Re: Do you hunt or just run him.

Post by BCBeagles »

Both, enjoy rewarding the hounds for a few months then back to just good ole pleasure running. Run more as the days stay longer and run a bunch in the summer and early fall. Enjoy the sound of hounds and feel like my week is missing something if I don't get to go and listen too them for a while!

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

BCBeagles wrote:Both, enjoy rewarding the hounds for a few months then back to just good ole pleasure running. Run more as the days stay longer and run a bunch in the summer and early fall. Enjoy the sound of hounds and feel like my week is missing something if I don't get to go and listen too them for a while!
Sounds just like my social calender !
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Both and love every minute of it

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I got a beagle so I could kill more rabbits. I never thought I would just take him out to run once he was a finished hunting dog. Now I have two, and take them out to run in the off season as much as I do in the hunting season. I have places I go that I can not shoot any rabbits but go there during the seasonto keep them sharp and in shape for when I do hunt with them. It has become my favorite past time. So my original intent was only to hunt, but my answer now is both to hunt and run.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

I would love to 'hunt' and actually plan on it but right now I'm worried that if I shoot any rabbits there won't be much left for the rest of the year as the fall and beginning of winter started out bad with hardly any rabbits in our spots but now it seems like a dream bcause we finally are startign to get some better runs lol. So I fun run every day and plan on attending a trial or two. I promised my two young females that I will have them ready for next rabbit season and will get my 20 gauge out of my closet and shoot em some rabbits! :D

Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around

Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

Pleasure runnner !!! Nothing like the music of the hounds !!!

Newt

Post by Newt »

I just pleasure run. I don't see any need to kill something that I enjoy so much. I've got the rabbits named and counted that run around the house.;) I'm disappointed any time the hounds run one down and kill it. I'm fortunate there is a WMA about ten miles away where the rabbits run big.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

both.. i dont usually kill them where i run at much unles it is piled up in rabbits which at the beginning of season it is .

but if i go off to run swampers and such i letter rip.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

thornie

Post by thornie »

I do both. I don't kill a lot, just enough to give them a taste. I run 7 days a week and carry my 22 blank pistol to shoot over my young ones. I will probably give them one or two more rabbits before our season goes out.
To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles

lebro

Post by lebro »

im a rabbit hunter to the core. i also enjoy a few trials and spend more time pleasure running than hunting. i really like messing with pups and getting them ready to hunt. i also spend countless hours on rabbitat improvements so i will have rabbits to run and kill, this is a lot of work but like planting a garden to reap those rewards. :D good luck to all
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

beaglerof4

Post by beaglerof4 »

I do nothing but hunt during season but run my dogs all year like season never ended.

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

Both. Once school is out I run just about every morning during the summer. Love to hunt and use to kill a bunch. Nowadays, I don't care if I kill one or not. The other guys that hunt with me usually kill the rabbits. I am so ready for the off/trial season.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

TrippleBFarms

Post by TrippleBFarms »

just hunt mostly i will kill a few for my young dogs. i go for the music
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselvs aginst tyranny in goverment. Thomas Jefferson

hcaplinger

Post by hcaplinger »

both,but this year we have only killed about ten rabbits in the spots we run.used to kill about 100 plus per year but with the population decreasing in our areas we have decided to just let them run.gotta couple young dogs so we shot few to them but other than that we just run them.love the sound of a pack burnin a hot track!!!doesnt get any better.
Caplingers Brush Bustin Kennels home of:
caplingers machine gun minnie
caplingers fat daddy
caplingers blue bailey
caplingers big city cash