WAY TO CLOSE TONIGHT !!!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bad Luck Kennels

WAY TO CLOSE TONIGHT !!!!!!

Post by Bad Luck Kennels »

A BUDDY AND I WAS OUT RUNNING DOGS TONIGHT AND WE GOT RAN OUT BY THE YOTS. I SAW 3 WITH IN 100 YARDS FROM OUR DOGS WITH A FLASH LIGHT AND THEN THEY BROKE OVER THE HILL AND STARTED HOWLING. THEN WE HAD 3 MORE GROUPS TO START UP ALSO. WE THEM ALL AROUND US. ONE PACK SOUND LIKE THEY WAS 10 OR SO IN THAT PACK TOGHTER. WE BOTH HAD COLD CHILLS GO DOWN OUR SPINS AND SAID IT IS TIME TO GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE. WE GRAB OUR DOGS AND WAS GONE. THEY NEVER MADE A SOUND UNTILL I SAW THE IN THE LIGHT. GOT COLD CHILLS NOW JUST WRIGHTING ABOUT THIS. SO FREAKY WHEN YOU ARE SUROUNDED BY YOTS. I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO GET THEM OUT OF MY RUNNING GROUNDS. I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT MANY YOTS BEFORE IN MY LIFE LIGHT UP AT ONE TIME. IF I WOULD HAVE TO GUESS I WOULD SAY THEY WAS 20 PLUS AROUND US LIGHT THE WOODS UP AT ONE TIME. WE ARE FORSURE GOING TO STAY OUT OF THERE FOR A LITTLE WHILE. WE DON`T WANT ANY OF OUR DOGS KILL BY THEM. THIS IS A PLACE THAT WE RUN EVERY WEEK AND WE HAVE NOT HEARD ANY IN THE LAST 6 MONTGHS OR SO. DO YOTS MOVE IN AND OUT OR WHAT ?

DOES ANY ONE KNOW THE BEST WAY TO TRAP THEM ? I HAVE NEVER TRAP ANYTHING AND TO BE HONEST DON`T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT TRAPING. :oops: :oops: CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME PIONTERS ? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Thanks,
Greg Hunter
Check out my site http://www.badluckkennels.weebly.com

LPGRRCH LPBCH CH HBCH Hunter`s Go Get Em Jake
LPRCH Bad Luck Kennels Little Girl

Rich Brien

Re: WAY TO CLOSE TONIGHT !!!!!!

Post by Rich Brien »

best way to kill that many yots is to find someone with hounds and start shooting them. Their breeding now so most time theyll be out during daylight hrs. There getting to be a big problem in mich. To. Had hounds and wish id never sold them!
Thunder Trails Kennel
LPGRCH/LPBCH CIRCLE N CASEY
LPCH RABBIT RIVER NICKIE

Bad Luck Kennels

Rich Brien wrote:best way to kill that many yots is to find someone with hounds and start shooting them. Their breeding now so most time theyll be out during daylight hrs. There getting to be a big problem in mich. To. Had hounds and wish id never sold them!

What kind of hounds ? Like coon hounds or what ?

Thanks

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

Coyotes do move around some. There are always some with a home range and some looking for a home range. They also have a fall dispersal, which is when the young leave their parents. Trapping helps but needs to be done yearly. If you go to the web site- Trapperman.com you should be able to find a trapper in your area to help you out. If you ask someone should respond. You can also learn how to trap them off of this site. There is a learning curve to getting good at it. Trapperman.com is your best bet.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

A buddy of myn where we run traped 13 in a role a 100 yard from the place we run on a tree line keep the traps away from the running grounds
Last edited by sbadger on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

chevyrebel2000

Post by chevyrebel2000 »

greg that sounds like a close call.I had 2 dogs jumped by 3 yotes several years ago just lucky i was close by, I know 2 yotes that didnt make it that night but they did lay my dogs up a few weeks!!!
LC KENNEL

HOME OF.......

LPRCH Colleys Virginia Gabe
3rd place 2009 Virginia State Hunt
LCS Rebel Runnin Dolly
LC'S Moonshine Mandy 100% branko ( will be trialed fall 2012) RIP

Bad Luck Kennels

Way to close for me lastnight. Going to look into some calls and a new gun. I think a 22-250 would be great.

Jakeboy

Post by Jakeboy »

We run yotes with walker hounds the big hounds have there hands full when they get tied up with a yote they are vicious lil critters. It is a blast chasing them it is usually pretty fast paced and intense. They are mating right now so they are going to be out a lot more and are pretty agressive. If you don't have any big hounds try using an electronic call.

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

ABOUT A MONTH AGO I POSTED A STORY ABOUT RUNNING AT NIGHT AND YOTES COMING IN FROM THE EAST OF US AND ANOTHER GROUP OF THEM COMING IN FROM THE NORTH. THEY CAME RIGHT IN ON THE DOGS RUNNING A RABBIT AND PICKED A YOUNG MALE OUT OF THE RACE AND KILLED HIM, I CAN STILL HEAR THAT POOR DOG SCREAMING. THEY ARE A HUGE PROBLEM HERE IN OHIO, I HAVE NOT RAN AT NIGHT OVER THERE SINCE.

G.W. Arthur

Post by G.W. Arthur »

They a becoming a huge problem everywhere, if we as game hunters do start hunting them in the off season they are going to over run everything!!!starting to do my part got a couple the other day!!!!!!

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

This is kind of ironic: before I went out to the field today I read this thread. It scared me a bit but I was heading out at 2 pm in the afternoon sun just a shining so I didn't let the thread get to me lol. So I got my two girls ready and we started hiking out to the spot way out back crossed the creek and started across the cut cornfield toward our honey hole a large logged out\briary woods. Immediately I notice a good sized deer but then the sun shined silvery on it's back and it sooo wasn't a deer. Coyote. He noticed us then was GONE. I was scared and for amin I wanted to go back but the thing that made me keep going was the fact that the coyote guys\hounds have been hitting that particular area just last week so I figured they would be cautious of poeple\dogs. Needlesstosay, we had two decent runs without seeing the yote agian. and the place still has a good population of rabbits unlike some of my other spots. I will stay as close as I can to the dogs and be aware when I am running in this spot from now on. I sure hate them things! :twisted:

Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around

Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi

Bad Luck Kennels

Well i have been doing alot of thinking and talking to guys about all of this. I am on a mission from HELL to KILL THEM S.O.B.`s. Not going to run that spot for a month or two and just hunt yots in there. I will get them before they get my dogs. We all spend way to much money on our dogs and be darn if i`m going to let the yots get the best of my dogs and me.

Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Had one chase my male this last weekend in the middle of the afternoon. Had the 22 mag but missed. Sunday some guys were working pups by the house and one came in close (about 20 yards) on them mid morning.
Gary Otte

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

I had the coyotes howling pretty good last night but none of them came in real close (75-100yds at most). I have limited time to run so I have to make the best of it when I am out there. I used my Garmin 320 and kept on top of the dogs without running right with them by cutting them off and tromping through the woods shining my light everywhere.

I assume I will get one eaten up at some point but so far I have been lucky. The only time I have to run is from 8pm until about 12am so it is a risk I am willing to take in order to keep the dogs from sitting in the kennel doing nothing. I run tracker flashes on them but I don't know if that helps or not.

What makes me nervous this time of the year that it is the breeding period for coyotes in combination with the rabbits starting to breed and running big. I had a rabbit last night clear the creek behind my place and took the dogs out of hearing pretty quick. They brought him back around but there were a few tense moments during the time period.
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

Bad Luck Kennels

Most of my running is at night so i have to deal with thee yots. But i do have one spot that i have never had any proms with so i guess that is where i will run right now. Untill i get those yots clead out some.

I had a guy tell me if you kill one leave it lay there and the others will leave the area. Has anyone heard of this before ? He said they see that there is danger here so they will leave.