Oversize Female

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Frank Pinker

Oversize Female

Post by Frank Pinker »

I have a female that I really like good hunt,good foot,great kennel manners, but she is 15 1/8 would you guys consider breeding her? I don't want a kennel full of oversize hounds.If I bred her it would be to a small 15 hound. Does anyone have any experience breeding a Big bitch?
Frank

mdbeagler

Re: Oversize Female

Post by mdbeagler »

It depends on what's in her background, Just because she is over doensn't mean she will throw dogs over 15 inches.
Of course it depends on what you breed her too as well, and what is in that dogs background.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

mdbeagler wrote:It depends on what's in her background, Just because she is over doensn't mean she will throw dogs over 15 inches.
Of course it depends on what you breed her too as well, and what is in that dogs background.
Good answer. I have seen two 13" beagles throw full 15" dogs.

Skip

Post by Skip »

In the past, I have bred an over-size female to keep a "line-bred" bloodline. Not 100% sure what "all" the pups turned out to be, but a few went over.......The 14 3/4 inch female I kept turned out exceptional.

Good luck

tizeKennels

Post by tizeKennels »

I have a big female that threw a 18" dog (Funniest thing I ever seen) when bred to a 14" hound, the rest of the pups topped out under 15" though.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

What size was her littermates? She might just be a cropout big and all her kin run small.

Breeding a 15 to a 13 to get all 14 doesn't work.

Same with the stud you choose, what size was his littermates? He might just be a cropout small and all his blood runs oversize.
Just a little investigation will help you.

Good luck and My guess is if you breed to an under 15 male, most if not all the pups will be under. Why not post her breeding as that would let us help you by knowing their size and what size her kin usually runs.

Mitch DeVore

Post by Mitch DeVore »

What is a small 15 inch hound? Either the dog is 15 or not. I think if you breed big dogs you get big dogs but like ala john said do your research.I also think that some of the line breeding that is being done is producing bigger dogs when in fact the dog they are trying to mimmick was smaller and to flip the coin you see some dogs being produced to copy a 13 inch hound and they are just 10 inchs tall.I wish I knew the answer .

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

Mitch DeVore wrote:What is a small 15 inch hound? Either the dog is 15 or not. I think if you breed big dogs you get big dogs but like ala john said do your research.I also think that some of the line breeding that is being done is producing bigger dogs when in fact the dog they are trying to mimmick was smaller and to flip the coin you see some dogs being produced to copy a 13 inch hound and they are just 10 inchs tall.I wish I knew the answer .

I think what was meant by a small 15 inch hound, is over 13 inches but under 15 inches which makes it a 15 inch class dog
at least in AKC it would be.

Frank Pinker

Post by Frank Pinker »

Her breeding is Buckshot Mr Bill and Kalagha breeding. From what I'm told her littermates are 13 1/2 to 14. What I consider a small 15 inch dog is 13 1/2.I would pick a line that produces small 15 inch hound to breed her to.I'm sure I would still get some big dogs.
Frank

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l48 ... G_0260.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l48 ... G_0251.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l48 ... G_0250.jpg

Frank, If the female you are speaking of is Miley. I wouldn't be to concerned about getting oversized dogs out of her she has a lot of dogs under thirteen inches in her background, But Her mother is about fourteen and a half inches, Her mother's sire is about fourteen and a half and her littermate brother is about the same size, but most dogs in this line are thirteen and a half or less. I have enclosed some pictures. The first picture is her grandsire, The second is her mother , while she was pregnant with Miley, and the third picture is of her littermate brother that I kept.

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

I agree with Alabama John.

If your female is that close I would not hesitate to breed her as long as she has hunt traits and physical traits that you value.
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

Frank Pinker

Post by Frank Pinker »

Thanks for the pictures Gary,I would like to breed Miley this spring any suggestions on a good Bill x Kalagha male out there ?I've been talking to Gary Slick about some of his males.Who would you breed her to Gary ?
Frank

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Frank, I am going to be breeding two of Miley's littermate sisters in the near future. I am going to breed one of them to her Grandsire, He is the one I posted a picture of. I contacted Gary about two weeks ago concerning breeding the other one to Bean, I need to get back with Gary on this. Bruce McNeilly, has a good Mr. Bill male that I would also strongly consider, the dog's name is Tupper. I believe that I will end up with some good Females from these crosses. When that happens and the time is right I will breed them back to their Grandsire, Willie Boy.

Frank Pinker

Post by Frank Pinker »

Gary,
I think when she comes in I would either breed her to Butter Bean or Cabin Fever Andy, Andy bottom side is Kalagha and top side is Little Man.
Frank

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Frank, I haven't seen either Bean or Andy run, But that will probably change within the next month. Just looking at their pedigrees I would say your pup's speed would be a tad quicker coming from Bean than from Andy, If this means anything.
Also, when you see them run how about sending me a PM and I will do likewise.