End of Mo season/Tenn. Swamper Hunt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

End of Mo season/Tenn. Swamper Hunt

Post by Joeyman »

Check back if you want to know what I've been up to. Got tons and I'm not kidding tons of pictures and video. Check back. I'm going to share what i've been up to since my last hunting threads. Felt like i've been all over the place since then, hunting rabbits. i've been all over missouri. Went down to west tennessee and as far north as Wisconsin to hunt hare. Check back as I work on this thread.

-Joeyman

Mo season hunting

Its been on crazy long rabbit season here in missouri. In a way i'm glad its over and done with, and in another, I still wish it was rabbit season...lol None the less this has been one of the best season's we've had yet. Season total is 384 rabbits. We hunted alot of new places and alot of the usual places. We hunted with new folks and some old friends. If a person was to just sit back and think about what these beagles do for us its just amazing. They bring good times in the field with your friends and also create new friends that last a life time. I cherish all the memories and time spent in the woods with these fine little hounds. I love being out in a good briar patch with the ol browning in one hand and my camera in the other. Nothing will ever take that away from me and I hope to spend many more days out in the field with a pair of worn out hunting boots my old belgium made browning light twelve a tore up hunting vest with a pack of hounds itching to chase me another rabbit back around to the gun. If you don't already know i'm a gun hunter first and foremost but Its not always about the kill its not about how your dog is better than mine. None of that really matters. Its about spending the time out in the wild enjoying myself for what I love the most, and thats Rabbit hunting! I hope that many of you will continue reading my hunting threads that I love to share with all. So sit back, relax and enjoy this thread.

The Beagles of Track Em Down Kennels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CouB8627n9k

-Joey

its going to be hard for me to remember all the details of every hunt so at times it will be a picture story

here is a nice set of shed's I found while out hunting with board member matt c

wounded rabbit in the hole

Yep he was still alive with a broken back leg

Bring him here leah......good leah

My guard dog daisy. She stands over the rabbit and don't let anyone near it. Helps me out sometimes. she doesn't do it all the time though

This was a hunt with board member matt c I always have a fun time hunting with you matt. We're going to run dogs soon!

My buddies and I went on a Two day hunt somewhere in Missouri. We did good. Saw 30 or so rabbits a day. We took home 41 rabbits which was dissappointing cause of our bad bad shooting. I'm talking about myself. Couldn't hit a dang thing. I missed alot but did ok at times. 4 hunters with 12 beagles.

Video Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8XVIAjxA4

rabbit in the hole

We had a little bit of snow here in Mo. We had a 3 man limit and had to go home.

Video Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO-nL5ObjBg

believe it or not there was a rabbit hiding in this hole. I tried to get the camera out as fast as I could but it was to late. he ran away.

this was two rabbits shot at the same time shot by me :biggrin:

thats a good leah

This is Leah's son his name is Bandit. He retrieves too and often just like his momma

if you see this stuff stick the hounds in it. Rabbits love this stuff for some reason

I thought this was cool

Another great Missouri hunt

Me and the hounds on my birthday

this hunt was on Jan 28th. One of my favorite farms to hunt. Had to stop at 18 rabbits thats a 3man limit. Saw way more than that on this farm. We had a hard time catching the hounds they kept going and going.

Video Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQlrDziVgyA

One of the coolest hunts I was on. Just stopped and asked for permission on a tree nursery that was very thick. The guy said yes and we jumped at the chance. Even had his two young sons join us for the hunt and also help show us around the place. They went in and knocked down rows and rows of trees creating long brush piles. You don't have a clue how many rabbits were flying out from every which direction. At one point and time we saw 8 rabbits in a matter of 4 minutes or so. that was a blast. Very nice people.

heres what it looked like in the nursery Video Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT0p4Puvkk4

We always try and get a youth in there when we can. he knew all the dogs by name by the end of the hunt...lol

Last edited by Joeyman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Joeyman

Re: End of Mo season/Tenn. Swamper Hunt/Snowshoe Hare hunt

Post by Joeyman »

Ahhhh my new found favorite = Swamp Rabbit hunting. Nothing can compare to it. Nothing!

What an awesome weekend in west tennesse with my good friend randol. I was fortunate to hunt swamp rabbits with randol last season and had an absolute blast. This season we did it again. Started off early saturday morning loaded up all the hounds and gear and off we went. This time around Brian joined us who had never been swamp rabbit hunting before. His brother came with me last season and thats all we've been talking about since. We're just amazed at how much fun it is to hunt those big ol rabbits in the swamps. So this time around we got him to join us for the a weekend of fun in the swamps.

Last time around it was dry dry dry down in the bottoms, but the dogs still pounded hard. This time around there was nothing but water, and more water down in the bottoms. Which i think made it even more fun. A good pair of rubber boots is a must down in the swamps. We were in ankle deep water no matter where you step foot and in some places it was deeper.

Didn't take but a few minutes for the first swamp to get up and run jumped by my dog leah. Races were pretty much non-stop all morning long with several doubles up at the same time. We had split runs we had out of hearing runs we had runs that lasted in upwards of 40 minutes or so. Heck we had one swamper swim across a good sized creek. You just never know what you'll get into out swamper hunting.

We managed to get tons of great footage and tons of great pictures. I hope you all enjoy the video coverage we got as we tried our hardest to capture the weekend of fun.

I'll let the video and pictures tell the rest of the story. You'll want to watch these videos because they are action filled. Probably one of my better hunting videos.

Swamper Hunt Video Part One - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xofon2x86xU

Swamper Hunt Video Part Two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdIForP950

here is my butkus male. his name is Tracking Duke. Been doing a nice job for me so far. I'm happy with him.

randol with the first kill of the morning

rabbit in the hole

do you see the swamper?

Last edited by Joeyman on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Last edited by Joeyman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

glad to see you posting again and I see you finally got a jackalobe
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

golden acres wrote:glad to see you posting again and I see you finally got a jackalobe
thanks golden acres. Hope you check back because i have alot more.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Friggin Awesome as usual, glad your are back!!!

Dillinger09

Post by Dillinger09 »

:dance: :cool: :cool:

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

Nice Joey,
Glad to see your back and just so you know our season doesnt end until March 31 and you have a standing invite to run some MI hare!
Headed up next weekend only stipulation is you must use my Encore :dance:
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

Chuck Prather

Post by Chuck Prather »

Glad to see you back! Sure did miss your posts! And videos! Thanks!

lebro

Post by lebro »

good pics. man those swampers are fun to hunt for us boys down south :cool:
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Nice pics Joey............nice to see you back too.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I enjoyed the videos and pic good work Joey. :D
TheJohnBirchSociety

BigStrutter

Post by BigStrutter »

Awesome stuff Joey, been wondering where you've been.

Ned

Budd

Post by Budd »

Nice job Joey, looking forward to your hare hunting clip!!

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Budd wrote:Nice job Joey, looking forward to your hare hunting clip!!
i will be working on that one tonight. I do have some nice footage of when I got my first hare and clips of where we were running and stuff like that. It was kinda hard to get real good footage of the dogs running. They were never near us....lol always deep in the pines.