How much for stud fee

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

gfedor

How much for stud fee

Post by gfedor »

A friend of mine was going to breed to a stud from a good , proven bloodline here in nj. The stud gets $500 . I know everybody has certain contracts that they go by, but I think that is way too high, or am I living in the 1980s when it comes to this fee.

BCBeagles

Re: How much for stud fee

Post by BCBeagles »

300, in my opinion. 500 is steep but it cuts out the tire kickers.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I recently had this discussion just the other day. Stud fees have laid the same for 30 years . 300 for a proven stud is fair money, you figure out what is. Proven for you. 500 to me is out of line. As Jim states at 200 people just want to talk not bred. I hate tire kickers :angryfire: .
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I can only tell you what I have experianced. I don't know what you mean by proven but I have seen and paid IFC's stud fee at $300.00 and FC from $150.00 to $250.00. There has been much debate about championship degrees as a means of proving a dogs worth and IMO a dog isn't proven without one. Regardless of ones personal opinion these degrees aren't handed out and it takes a lot of time, effort and dog power to earn one. If someone has a good dog that reproduces chances are that dog and or it's offspring will have been in compitition to be put against the measuring stick of other good dogs so that it may be judged against those others. IMO with all the registries out there a dog of public stud quality will have been tested to prove it can win against compitition. There's many a proven stud dogs out there for the above prices, packing the degrees as stated so what would make one worth the $500.00 fee as I doubt one gets much more proven than an IFC?

JJWI

Post by JJWI »

The stud fee is what it is according to the stud owner. I know of some owners that have higher fees not only to weed out the tire kickers, but to also weed out the people that are just interested in only selling pups out of any female they have coming in heat.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Who's the stud ?
TheJohnBirchSociety

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

May want to check this one out----looks to be about 4x better than his current choice :nod:

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

300 dollars is not out of line at all a breeder would pay it for a litter of pups
from his good female
The ones that will complain are the ones that jump on the band wagon
to sell pups from a popular FC and not caring whether the female is any good
at all as long as she has a big litter their not keeping any of the pups any way
going to sell them all

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

I think it depends upon what the stud's puppies sell for. A reasonable stud fee is generally the amount the female's owner will get for one puppy.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Who is the stud in NJ??? What do you mean by proven. A few years ago the stud fee for breeding to Green Bay Shooter was $400 dollars and he was Better beaglings #1 sire for that year. How good could the stud be for you too want to pay $500 bucks? I bred to a FC male here in NY a few years back, the stud had allready produced two field Champians out of a single litter and the rest of the pups were all placing in trials. The stud fee was $50 dollars Of course that was the exception and the owner of that male was juts a very nice guy. $200 dollars is the norm, $300 for a proven stud is ok and of course dogs like green bay Shooter can fetch up to $400 dollars. $500 I think the owner of that stud is smoking grass.....Just my opinion.....DH

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

Some of the show dogs charge more for stud fees. Might want to learn more about the dog. Beau has been a strong reproducer. He is in the Hall Of Fame, Was #1 in UKC Hunting Beagle Format, Has produced both multiple National and World show winners and Challenge series Hunt winners and I usually have only charged a pup or $250. $500 seeems steep other than in the realm of breeding show dogs.
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

A stud fee is based on the achievements of the stud and the pups he is producing. It would assume that the number 1 producer in the country would bring more than a dog that has never been bred before.

Now I bred my back yard dandy to a back yard dandy bitch and got 6 back yard dandy puppies. Didn't cost a penny but the pups are priceless right now. Running hard at 5 months old.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Better to breed to what you know rather than what is hyped up out
there !

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

fulcount wrote:Better to breed to what you know rather than what is hyped up out
there !
Hey John is that like the old saying "Dance with the one that brought you" ?
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

tizeKennels

Post by tizeKennels »

If you compare $500.00 to whats the average price for a quality stud dog, it would seem higher than normal. However, I'm of the opinion that we all under cut ourselves on the prices we charge for puppies and stud fees. After that is put into making a IFC, FC, Gr. Ch and so forth, we charge next to nothing for stud fees. I just purchased a Rottweiler 5 months ago and paid $3000.00 for a 8 week old puppy, the pups father is a World Ch out of the best bloodlines in Europe. The stud fee on that male is $3000.00, what makes that dogs dogs accomplishments any better than an IFC or FC? Nothing!!! But people just place a higher value on that breed and many others. In my opinion beagle are some of the most expensive to train and campaign to a title, yet the cheapest to buy or bred too! It doesn't make much sense to me, but hey to each his own.