had to put a dog down last night.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluecollar beagler

had to put a dog down last night.

Post by bluecollar beagler »

im not one to simply shoot a dog for no reason but last night i was forced to pull the trigger on a dog at my house and it didnt set too well with me. i was passing ball with my two boys in our yard last night at 6pm when i looked up at my barn and horse arena to see a rather large dog coming out of my barn (im keeping my pups in the barn in the kennel along with the mother in the kennel beside them). i have my 3yr old male outside in another kennel beside the barn. anyway, i see the dog shoot toward my male trying to get in the pen and acting aggressive. i knew something wasnt right so i imediately run to the safe and got my ar and start walking up the drive to my barns about 75 yards away. when i opened the gate i see its a rather large pitbull (70-80lb) range. when he sees me i start yelling at him to get. instead he bristles up and comes charging me!!!!! at 30yards i put a 50g bullet in his chest and he stood there and took it... my jaw dropped!!! after a few seconds he turned and ran back around my barn to the ditch and was headed back through my pasture and i shot him two more times to kill him...
i have never had a bad experience with a pitbull before and my family has owned a few while i was growing up and they have always been very loyal dogs and ive never drawn judgement on them when reading about attacks but last night was something i wasnt taking any chances on with two young boys that like to play around the barns and on my farm!! if that dog had been laying in the barn when my boys went to play with the pups or my wife had taken them to feed it could of been really bad! i have a feelling this dog has been dumped close to my house or a neighbor has moved in close to me and this dog has gotten out. there was no sign of a collar ever being on the dog when i checked it so im not sure where it came from.. either way, i had to put this one down. i felt bad doing it but i had no choice when it came to my kids or that dog.

littlewoody

Re: had to put a dog down last night.

Post by littlewoody »

Keep it to your self dont tell the neighbors it could be there. You did the right thing.
TheJohnBirchSociety

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

My close neighbors dont own animals so i know its not from them. The rest of them i dont care about lol. but yes im not speaking a word to any of them. i checked the dog last night. It looked pretty rough w signs of either mange or a skin problem. It was muscled up like crazy but not taken very good care of. Im just worried now about the pups i have in the barn. ive only given them there first rounds of shots and im going to be really ticked off if this dog hasbrought something into them while in that barn and i lose them!!!!

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

Sounds like a "dumped" dog.....we have had over a dozen different dogs dumped at our house since we have owned it. Normally I load them up or call the catcher but I would not hesitate to do what you did....especially with an "aggressive breed". In the end....Humans are humans and dogs are dogs otherwise dogs would have usable thumbs. ;)
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

When it comes to protecting my family or my dogs i would've done the same thing as you did. Not a doubt in my mind!
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

This is the way I see the situation. Even if it was a neighbor's dog it should not br running free. My neighbors have every right to own any breed of animal they like. But, they do not have a right to let their animal bother me or my property. If it was a "dump" dog, you did it a favor rather than have a car hit it or someone just wound it and leave it to suffer before dieing. You should have no regrets !!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Glad you caught that dog before more damage could be done. I assure you I would have not hesitated to do exactly the same. May have been a fighting dog that someone dumped out??

lebro

Post by lebro »

your pups should have immunity passed on by the mother and you giving shots every 3 weeks. i agree with your decision.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

warddog

Post by warddog »

I would have NOT had a second thought about destroying that dog. If one comes onto my property and shows any aggressiveness it will be put down without hesitation. The same thing will go for one of my own that shows aggressiveness. I was mauled as a kid by a mixed St. Bernard and German Shepard so aggressiveness is something I will not tolerate, period. Beagles are normally not aggressive but I have seen and HAD one or two.

Newt

Post by Newt »

You may have saved some child or an adult permanent injury or death. There was an eight or ten year boy in Knoxville, TN recently that lost both his ears and had other injuries when a dog such as that mauled him.

smokedawg

Post by smokedawg »

You did exactly what you should have done and shouldnt let it bother you at all. Nothing is gonna bite me or any of my family on my property, you were just protecting your family. If anything on my property shows aggressiveness toward people it will be dealt with in the same manner. I have 4 children under 6 years old and they always play in the yard so I keep an eye on them at all times. Anything that bites has got to go, no exceptions, they way i see it is "why take a chance".

Bad Luck Kennels

Post by Bad Luck Kennels »

JOB WELL DONE !!! :check: :check:
Check out my site http://www.badluckkennels.weebly.com

LPGRRCH LPBCH CH HBCH Hunter`s Go Get Em Jake
LPRCH Bad Luck Kennels Little Girl