Where are we Headed???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RunninHard

Re: Where are we Headed???

Post by RunninHard »

Shotgun John wrote:Where are we headed? Non barking beagles that won't pack if they ever get back to where they can smell a rabbit in an area that has too many rabbits. But I don't know that I will keep the beagle because it drools a little and eats it's own poop. This statement sums up about what I read on the beagle boards. Just so you know I don't have a problem with a drooly dog eating it's own poop.

lol, I have a 7 month old that will run/circle a rabbit solo but wont pack and dont drool or eat poop, What would you do with this dog if you owned him ? Give him some more time or cull him ? Just curious

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Imho there a lot of people that are breeding that dont have a plan going into and probaly never will. If it smells like crap and looks like crap then its probaly crap.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

RunninHard wrote:
Shotgun John wrote:Where are we headed? Non barking beagles that won't pack if they ever get back to where they can smell a rabbit in an area that has too many rabbits. But I don't know that I will keep the beagle because it drools a little and eats it's own poop. This statement sums up about what I read on the beagle boards. Just so you know I don't have a problem with a drooly dog eating it's own poop.

lol, I have a 7 month old that will run/circle a rabbit solo but wont pack and dont drool or eat poop, What would you do with this dog if you owned him ? Give him some more time or cull him ? Just curious

The above post wasn't aimed at anyone specificaly. If you don't believe me go to any beagle board with plenty of activity and type the topics in the search box.

Runninhard, I hope I never have to make that decision. I understand why it would bother you. If I liked the dog, it would be my desire to give him more time. In fact the Flat Creek/patch pup that I am working with acted like she was going to be like this. Her mom does the same thing from time to time. If this is passed from parent to offspring it is a fault. To my way of thinking anyhow.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Shotgun John wrote:
RunninHard wrote:

The above post wasn't aimed at anyone specificaly. If you don't believe me go to any beagle board with plenty of activity and type the topics in the search box.

Runninhard, I hope I never have to make that decision. I understand why it would bother you. If I liked the dog, it would be my desire to give him more time. In fact the Flat Creek/patch pup that I am working with acted like she was going to be like this. Her mom does the same thing from time to time. If this is passed from parent to offspring it is a fault. To my way of thinking anyhow.
I know you didnt aim it at me, I put lol at the begin of my post as to say I see what you see on the boards, And I wasnt trying to be a butthead either, I was asking what you would do, I was hoping to get some serious answers/opinions on it and you just gave that to me and I thank you for it , I see to many times on boards people being negative and dont give any reasonable advice, instead a lot of people just like to bash, In no way did I take your post personal, Thanks Scott

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Your dogs are only gonna be as good AS the people breeding them.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

APFII

Post by APFII »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:Your dogs are only gonna be as good AS the people breeding them.
We all are want something different our hounds . What you cull may be the keeper I am looking for. We have all seen top trial hounds we would love to have in our pack and other top trial hounds we would not waste feed on. I breed hounds that I know ,to hounds that I know,and get dogs that please me.

Dale Pea

Post by Dale Pea »

Geeez

bbg

Post by bbg »

The breeding practices of most beaglers is to blame for the quality of the offspring. Breeding to the popular stud just because of his popularity is problematic. This poke and hope way of breeding will eventually yield another great one but without consistancy, and less consistancy will come from them. Few breeders are working toward consistantly producing hounds of type. Those that are, if they choose to use the popular stud, will produce the desired offspring on a regular basis. They have researched him and his pedigree, and chosen him for reasons other than popularity.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

all any of us can do is try to improve our packs , mine is better than it was 10 years ago. better hunt ,better nose , better line control//..while still haveing the speed i want ... i am on the right track . but i aint arrived where i tottally want to be yet. maynot ever be ,but gonna keep right on trying .. made a good cross last year looking great gonna do that again unless they go sideways before her next heat .
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Take Striker for example he came out of two hounds that weren't two champions. I never got to see this dog run but seen some nine hounds off f
him. They were tough. FC Larsen Jackson and his sister Halye. FC WOOKIE, I think Mountain Man was off of Striker, look what he produced himself... I think the Striker line can reproduce rabbit dogs.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Both of Strikers parents were field Champions.

.................FTCH The Elm's Jigs Maggies Mate
..........FTCH Milt's Queon
.................FTCH Mirabel Rose
...IFC MJR Mitsou Argenteuil Striker
.................Mirabel Zebulon
..........FTCH Stanabe Mitsou De Tan
.................FTCH Tangerine Dream De Kanniest

There's a pretty long line of Producers here.

IFC Wally of Floline
IFC Line Elm Bimbo
IFC Adirondack Bobby
FTCH The Elms Jigs Maggies Mate
FTCH Milts Queon
IFC MJR Mitsou Argenteuil Striker
FTCH Moneysunk Mountain Man
FTCH Awful Bawlin Ler Er Rip
FC Weirs Ready Rock Ripper
FC Chicos Ready Rip Reggie
Last edited by sparky on Mon May 07, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

sparky wrote:Both of Strikers parents were field Champions.

IFC Adirondack Bobby
FTCH Milts Queon
Yeah forgot about them being mostly out of Canada.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

I have hunted with beagles 40+ years. Have only been involved in hunt competitions a little more than 10 years. A few things I have noticed....

Hunt competition beagle breeders seem to invest far more energy and time in what they have rather than concentrating on what they could get. Have you ever been to a major beagle event from any registry that offered any type of education for breeders. I have only seen a couple in my ten years of competition hunts. Most seminars focus on the scoring/judging aspects of the sport. Little is offered regarding training, genetics, conditioning...

Have seen the breed improve in some lines that purposely bred to improve physical structure to go along with excellent hunt traits. Probably more physically sound excellent rabbit dogs now than 10 years ago.

Those who run faster dogs are probably less likely to consistently produce pups better than the great sire or dam or both. It takes a big nose and brains to run smooth at a fast pace without leaving out parts of the track or causing breakdowns. If the goal is to get a dog with excellent search and jump, speed to run the front with accuracy in a variety of scenting conditions, .... and all the other things that are required for greatness in a fast pace format I believe that few specimens will get all the right genetic and physical traits required. Then add in the requirement of excellent training, conditioning, health... Only the right dog with the right trainer will ever reach its full potential.

Many of the offspring may be excellent rabbit dogs even though few may reach our extremely high standard of excellence.

Many hunt standards exist in the beagle breed. Many hunt breeders do not agree on physical standards or for that matter the importance of physical standards.

Outcrossing is common and harder to lock in specific traits.

Hunt breeders seem to not use the genetics available worldwide but are more likely to choose a stud from their local area.

Just a few thoughts on the subject. Good post! Dan M
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

Casey Harner wrote:
sparky wrote:Both of Strikers parents were field Champions.

IFC Adirondack Bobby
FTCH Milts Queon
Yeah forgot about them being mostly out of Canada.
Not sure what that converts to American------But I'm thinking it pretty fair.

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

sparky wrote:There's a pretty long line of Producers here.

IFC Wally of Floline
IFC Line Elm Bimbo
IFC Adirondack Bobby
FTCH Milts Queon
That's definitely a pretty long line of producers there :)