My feed store is closing

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Emery

My feed store is closing

Post by Emery »

I feed Diamond food, and the closest place to buy it is more than 70 miles away. At that distance, it wouldn't pay to drive there and pick more up. The price of Iams is rediculous out here. What are some other kinds of dog food with meat as the main ingredient that are good quality? Pro Plan is spendy out here as well. I guess that I will have to start price comparisons again. :(
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

snowshoehareguide

dog feed

Post by snowshoehareguide »

ive had good luck with .... river run ..... in the red bag ... dont know if its available where you live more expensive but real good is eagle or eagle pack in the blue bag .... pete

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

I use SPORTMIX PREMIUM 26/18 (bluebag). Its the best stuff I have found (and I tried a lot) and the price is about $16.00 per 50 lb.

cooper

Post by cooper »

I feed Diamond but Ive also feed River Run for years both are great and NO SOY!!!!! Tom Gross

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

I feed Diamond to all my dogs except for expecting mothers and pups. I feed either Purinia One or PMI to the them. If I couldnt get Diamond I would probably feed PMI or Black Gold.
Crane Creek Kennels

M Johnson

Post by M Johnson »

Aaron, Who makes the PMI? and Is it comparable to Purina Hi-Pro? My feed dealer started carrying it and said it should be about the sam.

Emery

Post by Emery »

I have never heard of Sportmix, is it the brand name or is it the type of food made by a particular manufacturer? Also, where do you find it?

There is a place called Zamzow's out west here that makes, or at least labels their own brand. It is supposed to be pretty good and a little less expensive than Iams... Does anyone have any information on this brand?

Thanks again,
Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

MIKE BELLAMY

FEED

Post by MIKE BELLAMY »

I FEED THE BEST BLACK GOLD DOG FOOD !!!!!!!!! :lol: http://www.blackgolddogfood.com/

Stone Cold Beagles

Dog Feed

Post by Stone Cold Beagles »

Emery

Have you ever thought of becoming a dealer yourself?

Post by Guest »

I too have had great results feeding SportMix. All the feed stores here in Indiana sell it. We also pay $15 for a 50lb bag of the top of the line stuff. 26/18.

Post by Guest »

PMI dog food is made by Doanes INC. They make 27 other feeds at a mill here in Texas. I will not feed it. It is not a Ralston Purina product which is milled in St Louis MO. Two completely different feeds. :lol:

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

M Johnson wrote:Aaron, Who makes the PMI? and Is it comparable to Purina Hi-Pro? My feed dealer started carrying it and said it should be about the sam.
Im not for sure of the exact name of what PMI stands for but is a spinoff of Purina Mills. I will look at the bag in the morning and post it. They have many different selections of feed as far as Protien/Fat and Meat, Chicken or Corn based. All of the PMI feed that I have seen is NON-SOY, which Soy is what you want to stay away from. I have not used any of the PMI food except for the PMI puppy. Mom and pups do really well on it! I wouldnt be afraid to feed PMI to all my dogs,its just hard for me to get away from Diamond for the rest of my potlickers. Just like the old saying goes.....If it aint broke dont fix it!
Crane Creek Kennels

Emery

Post by Emery »

I have contacted Black Gold about getting started out here in Idaho. I will have to give them a call during the week to figure out the particulars of their business. I have heard nothing but good things about Black Gold, and am willing to give the dealer thing a try. I have quite a few friends with dogs as pets that I might be able to convince to switch over if the price is right... Thanks for planting the seed.

Emery