Nasty Mean Dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Pete Tuck

Nasty Mean Dogs

Post by Pete Tuck »

Fellas, I have a dog that when the rabbit is killed and he gets there before the hunter acts like he is a pit bull. He hates a rabbit and after the kill he hates every dog and person. I have hunting partners that will run to get the rabbit before he gets there because if the dog beats em to it then I, or Anthony are the only ones that can get the rabbit from him.

Anyone else out there seen dogs like this? This dog is breed right T-Rex on top and Pine Mtn. Chester on bottom. He's great in the pen and loves my kids and everyone else until the tailgate drops and he puts on his game face.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

RunninHard

Re: Nasty Mean Dogs

Post by RunninHard »

This would be tuff, I never had this problem, I would like to hear what others opinions are on this...
I for one dont think I would/could handle it, Good luck with him and hope all turns out good

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

Pete, I have one similar to his. She will stand guard over the rabbit until one of our hunting party gets to the rabbit. She will fight off a pack that tries to take it and never put a tooth in the rabbit. She's a young dog and Branko breed.

I wish she would just bring it to me. :D

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Beat his ass. A dog has to know its place at ALL times. I start mine learning at a young age to avoid all that mess.
That way, I never have to beat their ass. I can stick my hand in their feed bowl and swirl it around while they are chowing.
Not a growl. Not a snap.

Love them and care for them as much as you want, but they are 25 lb. dogs. Dont let them control you.

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

Dudes, this ain't a thread about what to do with him. I just want to know if anyone has seen other dogs like this. If the dog sucked he would not be at my house. This young dog can do it all, and do it all by hisself. He's mine and all of my hunting buddies know the deal either kill the rabbit and get to him before Double J does or let me get the rabbit from him. He does not tear the rabbit up or nothing like that he just don't want anyone or any dog to touch it. Other than me of course.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

I've got a male that drew blood on a couple of my friends' dogs (different incidents) when the rabbit was caught. Progressively harder asskickings let him know I wouldn't tolerate it. He was raised indoors and has countless hours of solo time, so he may have a better sense of me than if he were a big kennel/pack dog.

Since purchasing the garmins, I've realized that if he catches the rabbit now, it's a quick kill and he gets out of there. Several times, I've heard him open on the sight chase after the rabbit starts squatting, then he goes silent and leaves the scene quickly, while I can map my slower dog to the spot and pick up the rabbit if I get there quick enough.

He's still mean on the tie-out if a dog invades his space, but no more problems if the pack runs down the rabbit.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Oh, well then in that case you don't have a problem. i didn.t know it was just standing guard till you got there.

And to answer your question. No, I dont have a dog like that. But wish i did. lol.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Pete Tuck wrote:Dudes, this ain't a thread about what to do with him

Opps sorry Dude.... :shock:

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

No problem, runninhard. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen dogs like this.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Pete when Junie was a younger dog, He would always retrive a rabbit should a dog choose to try and take it from he, sorry bout his luck. He would also whip a dogs azz around a hole i never did figure it out but i just lived with it. Not saying it was correct but i did however try too correct the problem just could not. He did however never tear a rabbit up he would pass 3-4 other fellas and drop it at my feet.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

We have had more than one hellish fight over a dead rabbit. I like dogs with intensity so it doesn't bother us much. My brothers bigger female can take it farther than just the rabbit and keep growling at others with the intensity of the fight still in the air, LOL. Tritronics adjusts her quickly, but again intensity is a good thing to a point.

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

Jimbo, My Double J dog is a Chester's grandson and a T-Rex great grandson. It does not bother me that he is that way about a dead rabbit because I have seen him do some things while running that tells me he is going to be great. To be honest, this is his only fault if you consider that a fault. Hunts good, good line control, and uses that awesome mouth right.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Wayne Waits told me years ago that when a dogs hair stood up on his neck when he smells a rabbit , that was a great thing i do like a dog that hates a rabbit. ;) T-Rex and Chester dogs seem to have that Quality. :nod: :eyes:
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

Jimmy I wish I had it on film, the day we were running at the fish bowl in Indiana with David Schlaug. Junie had the lead and ran the rabbit to the hole and David's dogs came in on him. Junie whipped his pack and David was trying to save his dogs and they were biting him up to his shoulders. Every time I think about that I laugh so hard I get tears in my eyes.

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

Jimbo and Bobby,
Double J's mother is Anthony Kerr's Birdie dog. I have seen her put other dogs in their place as well. The litter Birdie had also included a little female that Anthony has that's very similiar to Double J. Although I have not seen Mona be as vicious over a dead rabbit as Double J, she can hold her own with the big dogs running or fighting.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley