Bad Knees ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Wild Ridge

Bad Knees ?

Post by Wild Ridge »

I have had two micro surgeries on each knee. About 3 years ago I was told they were gone and needed to be replaced. I am going to try the rooster shots in the knees I here it works for awhile. My knees have stopped my bird hunting and sure put the hurt on my rabbit hunting. I am cutting back on dogs as I speak.
I know with all the old hunters out there someone or you may know a friend that has had the same problem.

My question is with double knee replacement, Do you know anyone the can still put in a long walking day in the field, especially in the hill of old Ky.

All the one I know that has had both knees replaced are ether couch potatoes or hunt off four wheelers.

Fellow hounds men please shed some light

Maurice"Moses" Cinnamon

gfedor

Re: Bad Knees ?

Post by gfedor »

One of our hunting buddies father had both knees replaced, within the year , he made it up to our camp in potter co,pa and hunted 3 days. He slowed down a bit, but he can still do it at 72 yrs old. Good luck.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Sent you a PM moses....DH

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Honestly, the answer depends on how well you take to the replacement and how good your surgeon is... Most of the time it seems people respond well and it just makes em be a little more cautious. Also your physical therapy and age play a HUGE role in how active you will be.. I know a lawyer who had a double replacement and he gets around fine but he is super active and only in his 50's and doesn't have extra weight..

I suggest a university hospital or a place with the latest and greatest advancements if you have that option.. replacements from just a few years ago are not as good what they have now...

Good luck buddy-- we will be prayin for ya... post on here a day before the procedure if you get it and we will get some prayers going... the shots are pretty good from what i hear but i think it depends on the cause of knee pain...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

hendro18

Post by hendro18 »

My Uncle had both knees and hip replaced it took a few months but he still rides horses and rabbit hunts every season, as for the shots ive heard they work but i also think your better off to get surgery now and not put it off because the shot makes your knees feel fine and you may end up hurting them even more but thats jmo. Either way good luck with whatever you choose and we'll pray for you!

preachersteve

Post by preachersteve »

My wife had both replaced at the same time and she is doing great. She worked hard before the surgery doing exercises and then she worked relentlessly afterward in spite of the pain. With both replaced, she would say she didn't have a leg to stand on :lol: It took a few months and even then she was still making progress. Artificial knees are never as good as the real thing, but they are much better than damaged knees. But, there are going to be limitations.

I also have a very good friend who had surgery in St. Louis, MO by a surgeon who pioneered a "less invasive" form of replacement. He had both done at the same time also and his surgery seemed to go extremely well. His recovery was about a week ahead of my wife's. Of course, he was in great shape before the surgery and also worked hard afterward. He exercises regularly, goes to Colorado elk hunting and even rabbit hunts in some rough country sometimes. He went with us for the first time 3 months after his surgery and did OK, but it was rough on him. My wife and my friend's knees still hurt them some, but it is nothing compared to what they had before surgery. Good luck with your decision.

Wild Ridge

Post by Wild Ridge »

Thank you for your advice . It took some of the fear away. My Doc. said he just did one knee at a time but it look like both is the way to go. "Get'er done" . It is good to know there still maybe hunting in the future. My Doc.(Dobner In Frankfort Ky.) said to push it off as long as I could. Said I couldn't wear them out to where he couldn't fix them. A lot can be read into that statement.
Thanks again for the shareing.
God Bless you all
Maurice " Moses" Cinnamon