Native Dog Food?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Native Dog Food?

Post by Casey Harner »

Anyone here feed it?? I have a dealer close to me, but would like to get some feedback. I see they don't include corn or any corn fillers, which is what I perfer not to feed. I hear Native is expensive, but I like their list of what they include in their food.

Any feedback will be much appreicated. Thank You!
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Volfan

Re: Native Dog Food?

Post by Volfan »

I fed several bags of Native and I really liked it. My dogs done great on it my only problem is I cant find it close to where I live. But also it is very expensive.

Thurston

Post by Thurston »

Have used the Stage 2 for over a year, very pleased.

Bellmorekennels

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Casey, native is an awesome food, I feed Earthborn primitve, which has same ingredients pretty much ,no corn and no fillers, and like $10 a bag less, dogs love it ,firm stool and feed less than half the amount of most foods.

www.bellmorekennels.com

Jim Stinnett

Post by Jim Stinnett »

Feeding Stage 1 & 2.

Love it!
BRIAR BUSTEN BEAGLES
jstinnett@upgen.us
AKC & NKC REGISTERED BEAGLES
LAKE VILLAGE, IN
HOME OF: BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER
PCH CHAMPION / GRAND SHOW CHAMPION

SCOTT W.

Post by SCOTT W. »

How much r uguys payn 4 it?

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

Here is a comparison of 2 dog foods. Both are 26% protein and 16% fat. Now I'm no expert here, but they sure look very similar in the of quality ingredients to me. I've never priced Native around me , but know it to be pricey from what I've heard. I just can't beat the Diamond for the money . My last load was $24 /40lb. bag and my dogs look and perform great.
I know many will think I'm nuts for staying with diamond, but I have no concern at all about the salmonella contamination affecting my dogs. I've fed raw chicken many times and have read of many other dog owners doing the same. I firmly believe the MAIN concern for the recall , was the effects this could have on the humans that handle the dog food. The information I've found on salmonella states that a dog that is sick from it , has a compromised immune system , to begin with. Again , I'm no expert on this . But feel (from what I've read) that our dogs can eat raw meat , just like wild canines do , and be just fine. This includes salmonella infected chicken. They are built to handle it.We are not.

Diamond Naturals
Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Formula
Calories: 3,708 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, dried plain beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Native® Level 2
Ingredients.
4078 kcal ME / kg
(1850 kcal ME / lb)
(calculated)
Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Oats, Ground Barley, Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Ground Flaxseeds, Natural Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Yeast Culture, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Hydrolyzed Brewers Dried Yeast (prebiotic), Reed-Sedge Peat, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives), Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Selenium Yeast, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, and Rosemary Extract.

couch potato jim

Post by couch potato jim »

Casey, Native performance feed is in my opinion the best food on the market today. I have been feeding this feed to my hounds for about 2 years now and I find myself liking it more everyday. Every time I clean up the kennel or my yard I am pleased that the clean up is so easy. I have been using the number 4 to feed my hounds. I can see the difference in there performance, there health. I highly recommend this native performance feed. I will say that this feed is $40 dollars for a forty pound bag and in my opinion a little expensive. I also will say it is a long drive for me to get it every time. If you feed your hounds Native I will say you need to work your hounds a lot because it will put the pounds on them if you do not. If you work them a lot I will tell you the truth it will keep them at a good weight. I like this feed, my hounds like it and puppies love it. Just wish it was not so expensive but you know that old saying " you get what you pay for" Thanks Jim Harrison. COUCH POTATO BEAGLES THE PLACE WHERE AWESOME RABBIT HOUNDS ARE MADE. ;)
Last edited by couch potato jim on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Couch Potato Jim
AKC Hill Shakers Little Candy Girl
AKC Candy's Little Dazzling Doc
AKC Jims Jazzy Jigs
AKC Candy's Little Booty Kicker
Chief White Ear
Jigs Iron Ike
Frenchmans Zacary Last @ Stud

warddog

Post by warddog »

the reason there was so much nedia coverage of the diamond dog food recall is two fold. Number 1, it wasn't the first BIG recall for Diamond in which dogs good sick and or died. Number two is that Salmonellosis is a zoonotic disease meaning that it is transmissible to man from beast. The science shows us that many of us, just as animals eat food items that contain Salmonnella bacteria as well as many others that cause food borne disease. Most of us do NOT get sick but many of us have had food poisoning and we attribute our sickness to the flu or a 24 hour bug. Anytime we get a lower GI sickness without any resperatory ailment we certainly do not have the flu but a good possibility of a degree of food poisoning. The mere fact that this was the second major recall of Diamond dog food with this one not being melamine in an ingredient but a bacteria caused by insanitary conditions makes me wonder if Diamond has any quality control at all. After the first recall i swore I would NEVER feed it again and this second recall only adds to my original thoughts. As not being concerned about your dogs not getting salmonella just keep on playing russian roulette with tem and you may very possibly have a young, an old or a middle aged dog with a weakened immune system come down with it and get sick or die. Most of us healthy middle aged consumers do not get sick from eating food borne pathogens as most of what we eat is cooked so as to destroy it which is easily done when 160 degree temperatures are met. BUT let a child handle that Salmonella laden raw chicken and then stick those fingers into their mouth and you may have more than a sick dog on your hands. there are probably more cases of dogsd with Salmonellosis than we know as we normally don't take a dog to the vet with a runny stool or vomotting unless it goes on for a length of time. like people many never ger diagnised with such a disease and when they do they are normally near or actually dead! I'll not play Russian Roulette with the health of my dogs let alone my family. After soending a 30 year career in inspoecting meat and poultry plants I have seen alot of crap, literally. The people I have met who's loved ones have died of Food borne bacteria such as E. coli or Salmonellosis never thought they would have gotten such a disease from an ole hambuger either. Spin the cylinder, pull the trigger and maybe you will luck out and not hit the only one with the round in it........this time but don't be :shock: when your lucj runs out.