Tracker Systems???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jimb1069

Re: Tracker Systems???

Post by jimb1069 »

That is definitely a plus for the gps systems.
MLB

jboord

Post by jboord »

I have a ats system that I bought for 100 $ that I don't. Have a bit of trouble. Finding my dogs with I just couldn't bring my self to spend the money on a gps. When this will do the same thing

Timmy J

Post by Timmy J »

i would take $550 for it.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I have both a Tracker Maxima Complete and a Garmin Astro with DC30 collars. They both work well, I've become hooked on the Garmin for a few reasons

1) I can see how fast and far my dogs have run in the day
2) When I'm hunting I can look at my maps and see how close the dogs are getting to the road/brook/lake....etc.
3) I need to carry less stuff when up in northern Maine, my gps and tracking unit are together so I don't need to carry as much stuff

The downsides are
1) Range is much shorter with the gps than my Tracker
2) The battery life sucks in comparison, with my Tracker one set of batteries will go an entire season compared to the less than 15 real world hours of my Garmins
3) The unit is much more durable, my Garmin scratches easy and you need to be very careful about screen breakage. My Tracker is built very well and even if you did break the display the unit would still work
4) It's distracting, I find myself paying way too much attention to the "tv race" compared to running through the woods watching the real deal. Originally I also used it to cheat when hunting, I would watch where the hare kept crossing and after a few loops I would go there and shoot it....I don't do that anymore, it took a lot of the fun out of it for me.

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

4) It's distracting, I find myself paying way too much attention to the "tv race" compared to running through the woods watching the real deal. Originally I also used it to cheat when hunting, I would watch where the hare kept crossing and after a few loops I would go there and shoot it....I don't do that anymore, it took a lot of the fun out of it for me.

I've seen it happen many times.............. :D

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

T-lee: This TV affect is the worst thing about these units. You advised me to use the "save battery" function and I do now. That helped a little but I still find myself checking this thing out way too much. I can say that it allows me to relax and not worry so much about where my hounds are (my dogs will go very deep to find a rabbit). Also useful to know when the young dogs are running off game but I am still not sure if it is good for the sport philosophically.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

i cant speak 4 garmin but wildlife tracker and johnson collars r best 4 me as far as atracking unit im satisfied garmin is alot better wildlife collars and several more will track backwards and forward johnson will pin point 4 me now better than any.
BIGDOGPACE