extra barking on a rabbit track..

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

See low

extra barking on a rabbit track..

Post by See low »

When is it too much? in my hunting experiance over the years i have ran with all kinds of dogs.. some are " loose mouthed" some are tight mouthed.. some of my fellow huntsman in the sport call extra barkking in the check just simply grubbing.. but i cannot stand it, i call it gomming... some say that if there not barking there not winning but, i say they need to get up on the dogs and watch what is doing the work.....I have litterally watched a more honest dog walk a track silently while a mouthy dog comes from behind screaming every breath.. in a slow walk mode... the owner of the loose mouthed dog will yell" go on boy" or take it son" this is a joke to me....I was huunting with i guy the other night and his dog came down the road barking.. we had stood there for 15 minutes and there was no rabbit through there while we were standing there.. i looked over at the guy and he said " thats what i want my dog to do" i mean give me a break...i guess what im asking you guys is, when does a track get to cold or to old to bark on innn your opinion... please feel free on your comments.. maybe im the crazy one....

fasttrackpa

Re: extra barking on a rabbit track..

Post by fasttrackpa »

If they can't move it, they shouldn't say it.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

See low

Post by See low »

agree completely, there are alot of guys however who think that they have to "grub" to get it back up.. i say they need to hush until they do...

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

I have seen some dogs go that there dog barks loose all over the place sometimes it will produce a rabbit sometimes the track goes to barns or rock piles or end at the base of a hollow tree .My dogs check these and dont bark but the owner believes his hound is barking and smelling rabbits mine cannot .I say keep believing this :shock: I say his is barking on ground hog ,coon ,squirrel and occasionally a rabbit .Bullet time :gunguy:
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

pineridgebeagles

Post by pineridgebeagles »

If its not moving foward keep the mouth shut.Al

See low

Post by See low »

i agree eddie.. send them to santaclause.. i think the problem is that the owner of the foolish dogs are kennel blind to the fact that there dog is the one doin it.....sometimes id like to hold there heads toward the dogs and convince them../.. :hammer:

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Technically speaking C-low. If you think you are crazy, you must not be. This is a far too common issue if you hunt with other people a lot. A barking dog will get credit where he should not got it because the owners don't know any better. Or as you say, are kennel blind. One good way to deal with this is to put Garmin's on all the dogs and stay up close to them. You will see the dogs that run to the side or come in from behind barking while a check is being made. Real common among people I run with.

They say that sight will care the blind, but some people just refuse to see. Look it up, it is in the bible.

As far as giving them to Santa Claus, well, some dogs that do this are OK by themselves. Problem is, when you run them with faster dogs, they have to do what they have to do to stay up. You must remember to be careful that you don't see another man's dogs through your own kennel glasses. Just saying.

Tonyallen83

Post by Tonyallen83 »

Seems to me this is another useless post from a couch hunter. Get in the woods you must hunt before you judge. You caint win anything on the couch. Please explain to me how you are going to shoot a rabbit to a dog that won't bark. Beagles are bred to run rabbit tracks and bark. See Low maybe you should buy a Grey Hound I think they are pretty honest with their mouths.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I have the 10 month old male that will shut when he over runs the line, no extra barking. When he opens up, a rabbit is either near or he has already on the move. This male is gonna be a measuring stick when it comes to other hounds on brains. I feel this young male still has a lot to improve, but he sure shows the brains.

Here is Benz, with my female Blaze. Blaze has a little extra mouth in this video. She has shut her mouth up a lot better now.

Benz is the black n tan ten month old male. You can tell what I mean by shutting up after he bobbles off the line, Blaze is the open marked tri-color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fQfU1sHS1I
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

See low

Post by See low »

hmmm its pretty obvious whos got a mouthy dog thats ok tony83 maybe your dog is just grubbing

Dan440

Post by Dan440 »

See low wrote:hmmm its pretty obvious whos got a mouthy dog thats ok tony83 maybe your dog is just grubbing
:check:
LIVE ACTION KENNELS
FCGD MAUCH ONE MILI
FCGD DAGO VALLEY BULLET
FCGD STARS N STRIPES JR.
FCGD LIVE ACTION MILI'S MAYHEM
FCGD LIVE ACTION RANGER MCDANIELS
FCGD LIVE ACTION ALL DAY ABBEY

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

I ain't Shakespeare but if'n i was, i would say..."Me thinketh thou protesteth too much T-83"

Old C-low didn't name any names. I thought he was talking generically. As much as he hunts, I am sure he has the experience and nerve to name names. Of whom do you speak 'low?

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

Seems to me that Buck's Better Beagles has the best approach to replying to the original post. Whether one is a Trialer, Gunner or Pleasure runner, each has his own standard for his dogs. I see no value in asking another Beagler to pass judgement on someone's hounds. We raise, feed and run the dogs that please us.

bodetis

Post by bodetis »

me peronally i dont mind alittle xtra if i know thers a rabbit,"before a rabbit is up" i mean who has that all around perfect dog, not many. but i do have a 2 year old that has more drive than alot of dogs iv seen but he will over run a check at times and get excited and still run and bark for a piece. its like he gets to excited and n a hurry. have killed severall rabbits with him but it can b frustrating when he dos it. but he loves running.hoping another season will help settle him down,and b better n the checks.

See low

Post by See low »

bbb; i wasnt really pointing fingers at anyone, im just wondering how to respond to some of the comments i get in the woods.....but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,someone is mighty defencive.... :eyes: and bill, im not passing judgement on anyones dogs.. but rabbit running is a sport in my neck of the woods and i go to win,.. you may not but i do .... And its just hard to swallow when i take a dog to the woods and someone has an idiot that barks a hole in the ground and claims every check and every strike...those barkin dogs sound really good from the truck..many people look for differant qualities in dog.. most folks have things that they can and cannot stand.. extra barking climbs up on me and eats at me.... how do you trust a dog to be right when it barks if it barks all the time? i can uderstand over running a track.... but some dogs are foolish and some are not... i still have faith enough in my fellow huntsman to believe that ost of us know the differance..