AKC Prices

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chefboy_d

AKC Prices

Post by chefboy_d »

Whats up with AKC raising their prices again to $30 and $10 for each co-owner. I try to keep my dogs AKC, UKC and NKC but after that I may stop with AKC. Whats your opinion? The good and the bad. Papers dont make dogs run better it seems to help when it comes time to sell pups.

NoShowBeagles

Re: AKC Prices

Post by NoShowBeagles »

i tried to get into akc and the trials but nkc/arha progressive pack dogs apeal to me much much more. i love it and the dogs. you may not trial and papers are nothing but, paper, but i was skeptical to switch because i didnt know the trials, but in my area the arha people are a whole lot more friendly, and im not naming names, they dont look down there nose like some akc folks. im nkc from here on out!
NOSHOW BEAGLES
PROGRESSIVE PACK GUNDOGS
KYLE BRAGG
NOSHOW WHITE GIRL
DADDY RABBIT'S TARA
NOSHOW HELLO DARLIN
NOSHOW IM NOT LISA
828-460-1373

pineridgebeagles

Post by pineridgebeagles »

In my opinion if you dont run akc trials or want to sell pups at a premium price I see no advantage in akc registration.Keep good records yourself so you know the pedigree and lineage for future breeding,I always kept up with akc regisration but dont anymore,I felt it was a waist of money for a gun hunter that does not trial anymore,as for pups if people know you have good dogs you will not have any problem getting rid of them at a good price. Al

hhbeagles

Post by hhbeagles »

I run ARHA PP Pack dont need the akc all mine will be nkc from now on

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

At present, my dogs are registered with AKC and considering what we get in return for the fees charged by AKC, I will find a new Registry. As said before, "paper does not run a rabbit". It appears that fewer pups are being whelped for any number of reasons. I am certain that a good dog can be bought cheaper than one can be raised from a pup and trained. Perhaps other share my thoughts on that.

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

Its just like every thing else in life prices keep going up and i do not like it,But i think akc is a good thing,it keeps alot of back yard breeding down.I also think that the beagle prices are to low,I breed labs for hunting and i get anywhere from 700 to a 1000 for pups and what make them so different.Not saying that beagles pups should be that much but average price on beagles are about 100 to 250 and all the work you put in the pups between food and vet checks and getting the mother checked out,and that is if every goes good on delivery.I feel that is really cheap for a dog that is breed really good.I know they all do not become FC but it is a gamble,just like life you just have to roll the dice.Not saying two good old rabbits dogs with no papers cant make a reel good dog i have seen alot of good ones with no papers that would make FC.(JMO)
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

pineridgebeagles

Gun Runner,I believe the price of pups is the same as any other commody being sold price on demand.Alot of other breeds bring alot more money than beagle pups.Beagling has been looked at as a poor man sport or blue collar sport as you may.Coon dogs, bird dogs or the fancy house pets dictate a higher price than most beagles.Im in the auto buisness and its the same there,most cars will mechanicaly last the same time and miliage if cared for so why does a BMW with the same options sell for 3 times the price of a chevy.I dont sell pups very often,I only breed when I want a pup and i get $250.00 for a well bred pup.Im satisfied with that because when Im going to buy a pup its nice to only have to pay $250.Al

Jerry Fowler

Post by Jerry Fowler »

[quote="gun runner"]Its just like every thing else in life prices keep going up and i do not like it,But i think akc is a good thing,it keeps alot of back yard breeding down.

Just an FYI, those back yard breeding programs are where all of today's top bloodlines originated from!

pineridgebeagles

You got that right Jerry,without them we would all be shaging rabbits for our hounds and yelling tally ho.Al

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

(pineridge and jerry) i know that is were they came from but it is 2012.Time has changed,just like man in the last 500 years.You take a branko,ranger dan pups and a backyard pups and put them on the board and tell me witch one will sell frist.Are you to belive everybodys word,not me the proof in the paper.Do not get me wrong i hate paying them prices to i want the proof.It might be called the poor man sport but far from that,prime exsample i drove 16 hours to get a pup payed 200 for the pup and 200 for fuel that will not inclued shots food i will have 500 to 600 tied up in this dog and do not know what he will be.Or i chould get one of those back yard dogs around here for 50 to 100.What iam trying to say is if you have some money tied up in the dog your more likely to work hard to get that dog right then spend alittle money do not get what you want and leave it on side of the road.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

I like AKC and will continue to pay as will all other people who are into this. As to people who say back yard beagles don't compare to a pedigree, let me say this:

You can pay $100 for a hundred dollar dog or you can pay $400 for a hundred dollar dog but you will still have a hundred dollar dog.

We can all give examples of people who have paid big money for a pedigreed pup when good pups are half the price but no pedigree. Done it myself and rue the day most times.

pineridgebeagles

Gun Runner,I agree with most of what you say but not all,I have never seen any of the hounds you mention and they have made a large impact on beagling today,but there are alot of small back yard kennels that produce good houndsyear after year that are not known because the dont trial and get their names and pictures in a magazine.In the early years you saw names like Jonny Miller,Earl Brunner,Mark Swartz and the list could go on.The hounds these guys bred also made a huge impact on the beagling world.Let me go watch a hound run ,watch it hunt and look to see if its tail had no hair and if i like it I will buy a pup whatever the price,papers or no papers,and run the tail of it..Al

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

dont get me wrong when i say backyard i mean the guys that are trying to make a quick buck and lie about the breed of dog and tell you the perants are great dogs.There are alot of good dogs out there that came from small kennels and there is nothing wrong with that.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

what is so important about AKC them dogs dont run a rabbit any better than any other dog. i can go buy a farm yard beagle and have a set of akc papers in ten minutes. JMO..

Jerry Fowler

Post by Jerry Fowler »

gun runner wrote:(pineridge and jerry) i know that is were they came from but it is 2012.Time has changed,just like man in the last 500 years.You take a branko,ranger dan pups and a backyard pups and put them on the board and tell me witch one will sell frist.Are you to belive everybodys word,not me the proof in the paper.Do not get me wrong i hate paying them prices to i want the proof.It might be called the poor man sport but far from that,prime exsample i drove 16 hours to get a pup payed 200 for the pup and 200 for fuel that will not inclued shots food i will have 500 to 600 tied up in this dog and do not know what he will be.Or i chould get one of those back yard dogs around here for 50 to 100.What iam trying to say is if you have some money tied up in the dog your more likely to work hard to get that dog right then spend alittle money do not get what you want and leave it on side of the road.

Gunny,

The times may have changed but a good dog is still just that a good dog, whether he has akc papers or not! Glad you clarified what your interpretation of a back yard breeder is now that part makes more sense.