Hot Weather Running

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Do You and Is It Wise to Run in the Heat?

1. I run in and like the high Temp, the dogs love it.
6%
2. I never run in the heat, it is too hard on the dogs.
21%
3. My dogs mean too much to me. I wouldn't take the chance.
32%
4. Separates the men from the boys.
24%
5. You don't know what heat is. Come on down and get some.
12%
6. Its OK for the dogs but I don't leave the AC.
5%

Total votes: 82

Joseph J Murphy

Re: Hot Weather Running

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

Bucks Better:
It gets weirder the farther south you go.I have a buddy in Richton Mississippi that has been known to catch gators every so often.He has a "Rattlesnake crossing "by his house and his Daddy used to have a big whitetail buck as a pet.
I was running with him once in an area that sure looked like a swamp to me.My friend and his buddies were talking bout snakes and gators.As it was starting to get warm I expressed some concerns about those things.My buddy's response was " Don't worry son,This is just a low place" To this day I don't know what their idea of a swamp is but I am pretty sure I don't wanna go there.
In Ky we add extra emphasis to the vowels in our words .In Mississippi they add consonants. Example they somehow add the letter n to the word here. They love their grits down there to the point that they are sold as fast food in the convenience stores. My trips down there have been a lot of fun.The swamp rabbit running is great and the folks down there are even better.
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

if the dogs jumped as many rabbits in the middle of the day as they do in the morning and evenings and night then i would sit in the shade and drink beer and let them run but iv tryed it and the dogs lay around and drink to much beer :D .i run mine for a couple hours in the evening 4 or 5 days a week most of the the time it starts with a sight chace right out of the kennel.the rabbits start coming out in the yard around 8 :nod:
DEADEYES POACHER

Crow

Post by Crow »

bucks better beagles wrote:Crow, it is a good post and fun to watch the poll numbers as people give their input.

You said, ". If you had to leave one dog up for 3 days would it really be a major burden? Again I'm not trying to be an @$$ about this".

This may be hard to understand. It may even be a little anal but, the answer for me is a giant "YES". It is a burden. When they are left up, they cry like babies. I once was a runner. I ran all the time in the cold, heat, rain, etc. If I missed a run, I felt guilt and a certain feeling of loss. Weakness on my part, quite possibly. Definitely a mental thing. I am addicted to it as are my dogs. If they die, so be it. If I die, so be it. Life is tenuous and, I believe, an illusion anyway.

Covered a lot of ground in that paragraph. :)
Buck, while I don't agree wholeheartedly with your view on this I do oddly understand where you're coming from. My dogs are the same way if I have to leave them up very long or, Heaven forbid, leave one that is injured or in heat behind when I go running. They to cry like babies & it really eats at me to pull out with one staring through the fence wanting to go so bad they would rather die than stay. As long as a person has thought out the situation, fully accepts the circumstances of a particular decision, & honestly feels they are making the right choice for themselves then I will not cast a stone upon them for that. You seem to fit that bill so I will leave you with this. Good running hot or cold & be safe in both.

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Great topic. Guys, I just lost my 11 yr old female today due to heat stroke. She got under the fence trying to chase a rabbit, found her 30 min later on neighbors lawn, she couldnt get up, bought her home in air cond, but too late, took to vet, died of heat stroke. This dog was is shape, ran every sunday for 3 to 5 hrs, plus 2mile walks every night. She was a good one, she will be missed

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

108 yesterday and 106 today. I don't care how conditioned your dog is it is to big of a risk. It does not seperate the men from the boys but does show the fools.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

combine item 2 and 3 votes as one same thinking- their dogs are to valuable to kill or injure, my buddy once attended a beagle field trial ran in temps of over 90F. his dog 2 1/2 years old won but died 2 days later from kidney damage from the heat. there were 3 other dogs died that were at the trial he was at later that week all kidney or renal failure. many times it has been posted about the risk of exposing your dog to heat related risks.I am amazed the risk some people will take. the New York Hare Association which I am a member of 2 clubs quit scheduling trials in the heat of june july.By August they are usually on a northern jet stream pattern and they can run half day large pack trials to minimize risk. nights in August usally 50s' low 60;s not in 70s til lunch or later most of the time- no further comment my vet says at 80f beware of the risk of renal damage(kidney). also rabbits/ hare dont cool off as easily as other animals and if dont die in the chase usually will die in the woods the hare association found out . the hare kills and heat strokes were far worse in the heat of june and july during those trials, and we all become more educated in the process that is not a good thing to do..

rabbit runer

Post by rabbit runer »

have not ran in over a month temps have been over 100 for the last 2 weeks think its to hard on the dogs plus senting conditions are bad
BRIAN
Visit my website - http://morabbitdogs.webs.com/
Team Track Em Down.......Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

i almost quit running at night because of yotes my time 4 am 10 am .got to b careful though had 5 snake bit 2 yrs ago but n 45 yrs of hunting only lost 1 dog to a snake lucky i guess . i keep dex with me and helps a great deal
BIGDOGPACE

Budd

Post by Budd »

I've been running in the mornings when temps are down in the hi 50's low 60's. It's a scorcher out there today, 84 degrees :shock:.
I love liven in the north ;).
When I would condition my bear hounds for summer running down in Wisconsin I would road them 10 miles 5 days a week in the heat of the day. Lot's of day's in bear camp temps would be in the hi 90's, we lost one to heat stroke because I had forgotten some essential equipment at home (dex-IV's).

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

Budd and bigdogspace, I see you both put in your post "dex". What is this stuff ? I've never heard of it.

Budd

Post by Budd »

wireman252 wrote:Budd and bigdogspace, I see you both put in your post "dex". What is this stuff ? I've never heard of it.
dexamethasone (spell??), has the capabilities to bring em back when they have one foot in the grave ;). Just be sure they get plenty of liquids with it.
Last edited by Budd on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

I have only ran 1 day a week for the last 4-5 weeks, Its to hot for me and the dogs, My grass looks like straw its been so hot/dry
Not worth the risk IMO

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

The poll so far, surprisingly, seems to show that there are 30 votes for "no" and 28 for "yea' or leaning to no/yea. The nos are pretty adamant about their position. The yeas seem to say, "yes, Full speed ahead and darn the torpedos. 'nough said". Is that how you all see it?

jim matuszewski

Post by jim matuszewski »

my dogs don't have good enough kennel manners to be layed up that long if they are not run at least a couple times a week ,they kind of get on my nerves. been doing that for around 8 years and so far i have not had any issue,i hope my luck continues.I live in big woods in northeast wi.i could probably on one hand count the kind of hot days your talking about,that we get around here,lucky that way

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

bucks better beagles wrote:The poll so far, surprisingly, seems to show that there are 30 votes for "no" and 28 for "yea' or leaning to no/yea. The nos are pretty adamant about their position. The yeas seem to say, "yes, Full speed ahead and darn the torpedos. 'nough said". Is that how you all see it?
Well I feed em buck, I actually told Bobby to lay em up till we can do a rain dance it's hot as well as dry. Heat is bad dry just blows a fat tie. It's kinda like a good looking ol lady, women were born to be cuckeld and men were born to cuckeld Each his own. Stay on the porch or take em out when ya can. IMHO. I make no excuses hot rain or dry. I have found dogs learn a lot when they have too step on there tongues to run.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.