Silver creek beagle club trials

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kybluetickbeagler1

Silver creek beagle club trials

Post by kybluetickbeagler1 »

Went o silver creek for the first time Saturday and had a great time. The dogs I watched run seemed a lot slower than mine. By this I mean I could walk beside them while they run. Do they have any trial there for a med to med fast dog? Would love to try one but not sure my dogs would fit in. Thanks for any help

johns03272008

Re: Silver creek beagle club trials

Post by johns03272008 »

if you try to join the club dont mention anything about BRANKO dogs cause they will send you packing!!!

i went to a club meeting at club very similar to this one and i had every intention of joining and doing the work detail they require to be able to use their grounds to run or train and when they asked what type of dogs i have i said they are alot faster than what i saw here tonight!! They asked what my dogs went back to and i told them BRANKO bred hounds where in the pedigree they told me i wasnt welcome at their cluba and neither where my dogs!!! Pretty sad to say but i would never enter my dog even if it was on the slow side in a event at that particular club!!! All should be welcome regardless of dogs they run but its their choice!!! And you are correct in saying you could walk next to them and yes they hold trials most being in the summer time!!

I myself have never had any encounters with silver creek but i would assume they run the same particular schedule!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

kybluetickbeagler1

Well I'm glad u saw the same! Another thing is the rabbits were jumped by people with sticks while the dogs ran the path. I'm assume the beagler there don't hunt? Do they even promote a rabbit dog or just score by which hound barks the most in a 5 ft area. Like I said I would love to do the work and run the pen if they had a format for my hounds but didn't see any like my hounds. Also didn't understand what they were looking for.?

kybluetickbeagler1

johns03272008 wrote:if you try to join the club dont mention anything about BRANKO dogs cause they will send you packing!!!

i went to a club meeting at club very similar to this one and i had every intention of joining and doing the work detail they require to be able to use their grounds to run or train and when they asked what type of dogs i have i said they are alot faster than what i saw here tonight!! They asked what my dogs went back to and i told them BRANKO bred hounds where in the pedigree they told me i wasnt welcome at their cluba and neither where my dogs!!! Pretty sad to say but i would never enter my dog even if it was on the slow side in a event at that particular club!!! All should be welcome regardless of dogs they run but its their choice!!! And you are correct in saying you could walk next to them and yes they hold trials most being in the summer time!!

I myself have never had any encounters with silver creek but i would assume they run the same particular schedule!!
John I think I will be ok most of mine hounds are Reggie bred! Baaahhaaaa

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

kybluetickbeagler1 wrote:
johns03272008 wrote:if you try to join the club dont mention anything about BRANKO dogs cause they will send you packing!!!

John I think I will be ok most of mine hounds are Reggie bred! Baaahhaaaa
:biggrin: shhhh!! its a secret!! And if you ask them our dogs RUN to MUCH rabbit!! :bash: i guess we run dogs so fast we are running in front of the rabbits turn for turn!! but i would rather run to much than not enough!!! :dance:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Why join a club where your dogs don't fit in. Those people down in silver creek are good people, they open their big pen to the public, so you don't leave with a cull. You can try it there and decide then. I do enjoy my time when I go and it gives me a chance to look at a different style. These people deserve respect and the styles they run.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Amen, Casey!

Before you paint all of AKC SPO with one big broad brush, you might want to consider the sheer size of that format, and recognize that variances in running style exist. Especially from one part of the country to the next. For example, the UBGF alone is around 4,000 members strong, with 70+ clubs. That's just one Federation. At Silver Creek Trade Days you will see a lot of MAB (Mid America Brace) dogs (mostly because they are local) which are very conservative and close to the line. Not quite Brace, but not quite what I would consider medium speed, either. And yes, in some of those trials you will see the tally ho sticks, especially this time of year.

But, I'm going to say that BY AND LARGE there isn't a darn thing wrong with those hounds if you want a good rabbit dog. They are not slow. They do hunt. And tons of rabbits are killed over them every year. I started out rabbit huting with this style of dogs, and If I ever get to retire and get back into keeping hounds, those will be the ones with which I start over. I still love the fast dogs, my last litter went to Canada to run foxes, but these days I need something a little easier to handle that doesn't range out so far.

Here's a clip I shot of the 13" males at the AKC SPO Nationals. I'd like to see somebody walk behind these dogs and keep up. And you'll notice nobody has to beat the brush to get a rabbit up for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP1P_IQHZuE

Beaglers do this to each other back and forth. They think your dogs are all wild and can't account for the rabbit; y'all think their dogs are slow and can't find a rabbit. Neither is true, and until you've worn out some boots seeing for yourselves, it's probably best (in my humble opinion) not to make such sweeping generalizations. :camo:

warddog

Post by warddog »

I don't see a thing wrong with the dogs running in the video. If they account for their game I don't care how they get er done, just that they get er done.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Casey I don't have coon hounds but if I wanted to join a coon club I can, just cause my dogs dogs fit a particular style don't mean I can't be a member as the reason I was going to join a good friend of mine runs that style of dog "ubgf" and I figured hey I could meet new people, have some fun, I could help the club out on trial days because I would have no dogs to enter therefor all my attention would he helping out, and I would also have access to their enclosed running grounds, never did I say anything bad about silver creek in fact I did mention I have never had a encounter with that club at all,

Also the first rabbit dogs I ever owned where ubgf style of hounds and bev you are right lots of rabbits get killed over those style of dogs every year!! I never said anything bad about that style of dog other than you cam walk beside them! I have seen ubgf dogs get up AMD move but I have also seen a pack bark and bark and move no more than 5 feet! I wore out several boots hunting those ubgf dogs but I am no expert just what I seen with my own eyes, all that being said they just ain't my cup of tea!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

John
I wouldn't take NO for an answer and let anyone discourage you into not joining, We ran into the same thing at our club in Ohio a couple years ago but kept going to the meetings and pitching in and had them Vote us in as members. We are Talking Beagles here, Heck when our Club asked me what type We ran I said Fast ones, & Medium speed and even some Show Dogs. They didn't think It would workout, But it did, and We have even brought along a few more friends that joined. Bottom line you like to hunt rabbits and run Dogs, once they get to know ya, They will Like ya!
I would showup at the next meeting ready to join and if they ask ya What kinda dogs you run don't mention the Branko word, and tell them you want to help out and Join.
Who Knows You might even endup with one of their Dogs they think is TOO FAST, and endup with the Dog of a Lifetime.........

Let me know I'll showup with ya to Join! :camo:
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Your poking fun at their style of hounds... You like their style and they like theirs......and the world goes round and round...

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

just ain't my cup of tea!!------------------------I thought you ran Ibgf hounds Anyway John? :shock:
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I am not gonna take the ubgf style hounds to a Little pack format. My first post was directed to the guy who made this post. With Reggie bred hounds your best bet is looking for a Midwest Club or Little Pack club that suit your style better. No reason to take your dogs to win at a trial where they aren't looking for your style.

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:just ain't my cup of tea!!------------------------I thought you ran Ibgf hounds Anyway John? :shock:
i run TABH hounds!! "TURBO an ACE bred hounds" :nod: :biggrin: along with some others lol
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

kybluetickbeagler1

Well I guess I got my answer. Which format in akc is a step below Midwest? Also do they just run one format at silver creek?