Do's and don't with a staring pen

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

502hunter

Do's and don't with a staring pen

Post by 502hunter »

I have never taken a pup to a starting pen and was wondering what to look for and what to stay away from when checking out a starting pen. Thanks

T LEE

Re: Do's and don't with a staring pen

Post by T LEE »

In someone elses Pen..............

I like a pen with alot of cover for the rabbits. Site chases in open pens are fun to watch but seldom help with tracking. Good cover also helps hold scent down longer and keeping pups interested.

In building one....................

I had (and still have) several tall trees inside my enclousure that could easily fall due to high winds or bad weather. I wished 10x over that I would have removed/laid down these trees ahead of time before I built my pen. Over the years I've had several trees fall on the fence and damage it. I just repair it and move on.

My advise is cut any trees down that may cause you problems later. This also gives extra cover for the rabbits as you'll have growth around the cut timber.

Troy

NoShowBeagles

Post by NoShowBeagles »

tall trees also give arial predators a hunting spot. there tricky (and illegal) to get rid of.
NOSHOW BEAGLES
PROGRESSIVE PACK GUNDOGS
KYLE BRAGG
NOSHOW WHITE GIRL
DADDY RABBIT'S TARA
NOSHOW HELLO DARLIN
NOSHOW IM NOT LISA
828-460-1373

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

When you cut them down just hinge cut them. Meaning cut from one side and leave the other intact with the bark on. This will allow them to continue to grow while laying on the ground. Makes continuous cover.

Brian
Eva's Beagles

502hunter

Post by 502hunter »

I was actually asking about what to look for and what to stay away from when looking for a starting pen for my pups at someone else's starting pen. Thanks

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Simple, IMO, references. Let them give you a few previous customers opinions, call the previous folks then you have no regrets and have the information you need.