Advanced collar training

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Buckeye Bob

Advanced collar training

Post by Buckeye Bob »

I have a 1 year old female that I am real high on but.... she had a mistake breeding at 7 months and I had not spent much time with her up to that point. She is just coming off pups and is wild in the field. I need to collar break her but have not had much success in the past with older dogs. Any experienced suggestions?

Duke

Re: Advanced collar training

Post by Duke »

I break them to a lead. Then I go to a pinch collar. Use it to teach them the basics, sit, stay, heal, come ect... I then switch to the e-collar and use the tone with the comand, if they dont obey I tap them on the lowest setting like I would with a light snap of the pinch collar. In a couple of days she will be doing just fine.

Brandan Dunlap

Post by Brandan Dunlap »

I would just try to use a check cord it has worked a lot for us over the years

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Shes pleanty young to trian her anything you would like that you have already done with other dogs. like said before start on lead with a leash or check cord and work slow shell have no problems coming along.

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

I agree with other posters here. I teach all of mine on the check cord first. Then once they have the come command down pat , I use it in conjunction with the e collar. Just be patient. It doesnt matter how old the dog is they will catch on pretty quick. Most common mistake I see is people not teaching the dog the come command and going out in woods with the ecollar , shocking the dog and wondering why he took off in another direction.
April D
Grantville, PA

TC

Post by TC »

Long Check Cord with E collar Works for us too Have trained a 4 year old lab as well as a 2 year old beagle with the check cord method..We use a good Enticer as well Like chunks of HOT DOG!! Never Known a beagle that wouldnt respond to food!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

Try reading this. This is how I trained mine.
http://www.sportdog.com/SportDOG/files/ ... 3173cd.pdf
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

TC wrote:Long Check Cord with E collar Works for us too Have trained a 4 year old lab as well as a 2 year old beagle with the check cord method..We use a good Enticer as well Like chunks of HOT DOG!! Never Known a beagle that wouldnt respond to food!!
:check: :check: :check: :nod: :nod: :nod: