what ever happened to the $150 pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ohlinger

Re: what ever happened to the $150 pup

Post by ohlinger »

Thank you Jimb.......you just said it better than i could......could'nt agree more
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

jimb1069 wrote:The way I see it this type of discussion does nothing more than bring down the value of our sport and hounds. Wether your in it just for the sport of it or not each individual strives to have the best. The best never comes cheap. We all know the gamble of breeding. But I don't see many people picking up to strays and throwing them together. If there is no value in breeding the best two dogs you can put together then why ever go outside your own kennel? Surly any two hounds will produce the same as Junie or reggie or Monesysunk mt man. RIGHT??? Even the guy that turns a grade dog into the next world champion aint gonna sell him for what he gave!! If you want to duplicate something you start with the original blueprint and at times that is gonna cost you!
i don't think it brings down our sport. there are guys out there trying to improve there hounds, but i will say there are 5 times as many out there breeding to just trying to make money. soon as they make a fc the price goes up, it don't matter how well bred that dog is. so in my oppinion this discussion does not hurt our sport.

dog

Post by dog »

maybe it does , if your a breeder , trying to make a dollar , for guys like me that generaly buy then that is a good thing

jimb1069

Post by jimb1069 »

its no different with dogs than anything else...drop the prices to $150...then what? next week its $100...and the week after that its $50...before long they wont be worth the price of a free mutt....then the guys that are willing to invest the time and money to make some of these super nice crosses, that alot of people would like to try, will be out of the game in a hurry. Then when they do make a cross they wont be available to the public. Not every breeder is doing it just for the money but not willing to give away at a price that everyone can afford either..... If that was the case Ford would sale mustangs for the same price as a focus....just seems silly they would even think about asking more for something thats faster and handles better....i mean they are both just cars...right?
MLB

dog

Post by dog »

see the problem with that is , it is fact that the mustang is better than the focus , would you be willing to pay ford $50,000 without knowing if you were going to get a focus or a mustang , gamble on which one you were going to get , i bet not , if all these so called power house crosses were actually being made there would be some many for sale , unless they were trying to make money

awful bawlin

Post by awful bawlin »

I have loved reading this diatribe.I once had a litter ten years ago I made that I wanted to keep for myself for a while.I was constantly asked how much 500 per was my number then all said yer nuts little did they know my plan. Same cross a year later n I asked a thousand.Sold none. gee wizz I got to give a few away one I was skinned for one then as they die now I say
what joy and some torment have they provided.I have probably averaged raising bout four litters per year and sold few pups. Givin away a share and have boot hill but it aint for gunslingers.Have had a few years when lookin at momma and pappa did produce nuthin but duds two years behind for some time I was. Why would ya sell duds for anything? Happy with wats here now so in the long run of things perseverence dedication to values will get ya what ya wish but buyin pups is a lottery at any price so guess all ya can do is homework and pray a lot.

jimb1069

Post by jimb1069 »

OK point taken....Here is a different way to look at it..... 2 people apply for the same job. One has a list of references a mile long, the other one doesnt have a single one...as an employer who would you hire or feel better about paying a higher wage??? Both are a gamble, as we know new employees are, but one has atleast proven their self to past employers.
MLB

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

awful bawlin wrote:I have loved reading this diatribe.I once had a litter ten years ago I made that I wanted to keep for myself for a while.I was constantly asked how much 500 per was my number then all said yer nuts little did they know my plan. Same cross a year later n I asked a thousand.Sold none. gee wizz I got to give a few away one I was skinned for one then as they die now I say
what joy and some torment have they provided.I have probably averaged raising bout four litters per year and sold few pups. Givin away a share and have boot hill but it aint for gunslingers.Have had a few years when lookin at momma and pappa did produce nuthin but duds two years behind for some time I was. Why would ya sell duds for anything? Happy with wats here now so in the long run of things perseverence dedication to values will get ya what ya wish but buyin pups is a lottery at any price so guess all ya can do is homework and pray a lot.
Monk,
You da man. Where ya been? I got to kinda stick within your therory, and pray alot too. I dont sell many and i cant carry your water on a hot day, but i still price em what i think its worth. Both of us walk away smiling its a great deal for both.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

awful bawlin

Post by awful bawlin »

Jimbo
just sniping and looking.Happy belated Birthday , hope they all get the world beater for 150 dollars.Costs round 75 bucks to register transfer worm and shots for a CKC pup so forget the dollars be happy.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Glad too hear from ya monk. Ya keep on producing them field champs, it would seem as though ya may have this breeding thing figured out a little. I will gladly take one of them culls of yours down south. Take Care.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

JJWI

Post by JJWI »

Why would you charge more for a well bred pup? Quality doesn't cost you money, it saves you money. When you try to find that great deal on a pup, how many do you go through before you find one worth feeding? I know everyone has a story of a pup they know of that was a $50 pup found in some guys back yard and could of became the next greatest world champion and produced great dogs with everything he was crossed with. When you buy a pup from a breeder that has had success with his litters, you really are paying for his experience. You have to remember, how many hours they spent in the field evaluated dogs for crosses, how many litters they have had that didn't pan out. Just because a dog has a bunch of world beaters in it's pedigree, doesn't mean that it has the ability to reproduce those qualities. It takes a lot of trial and error for these guys to figure out what is working. So when you have a dog or a line of dogs that has proof in it's offspring that it is a producer, that is quality, and something that should be bringing a higher dollar amount. Also, why when a dog recieves a title does it command more money? The national average is 1 out of 386 beagle born will become a field champion. Granted, just because it recieves a title, shouldn't be your deciding factor on a breeding or a pup. That is were you need to go out and see for yourself the dog run or offspring run out of it. For me, a pup out of a known producer, a proven cross, or a breeder that has had success with his pups is money well spent. Because the time I put in to a dog is very expensive!

warddog

Post by warddog »

JJWI,

Here's another one that gets it. Exactly what I stated. IMO, If the pups come from a proven cross or line then they demand more money other than that they are a crap shoot regardless of the titles they are packing, period!

ray s

Post by ray s »

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Personally, I don't think $300.00 is too much for a well bred beagle with excellent confirmation. Depends on the breeding program, etc. I paid much over $600 for a pair of beagles years ago and paid air fees as well. Best move I ever made. Beagles are just as good as breed as all the others. Go check out what a German Shorthair Pointer pups will run you out of a good kennel. :shock:
Breeding pups is a lot of work and a pain in the :moon:

hskennels69

Post by hskennels69 »

Well said Pike Ridge...I'd rather take a beating rather than raise pups....Although the best dog I own I raised,almost lost her several times...I have no luck with pups I'd rather buy them when they are a little older...
Home of:
LP R. CH. UKC DUAL CH. PKC SILVER CHAMPION OLD DIRTY SOUTH PLAYBOY
H&S MUSTANG SALLY