Shady Creek Hounds?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bfoster

Shady Creek Hounds?

Post by bfoster »

Would like to expand my knowledge of the Shady Creek Hounds. Any information you can provide on the line would be appreciated.

The line started with Shady Creek Tracker Jack straight off of Branko's Jack of All Trades crossed on a The Elm's Jigs Maggies Mate bitch.

I'm from the south so not a lot of these hounds made it down here to see run.

Thanks in advance!

LaMarr Rhoades

Re: Shady Creek Hounds?

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

shady creeks hare trigger threw some awsome pups but thats about all i can tell ya,i think jim is not in to dogs anymore
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out

steve w

Post by steve w »

http://frenchmansbeagles.com/extra.html I own the brother to the Susie Q dog and like him real well. His mother is there as well. I watched both his sire and dam go and they were solid dogs, wasted no time getting busy and jumped a rabbit in short order and ran it well. They handled well also. He hunts hard and jumps his share, his line control is good with good foot also. I think the thing I like best about him is he does not get rattled or crazy in a pack, seems the same as when alone. Don Le count (The Frenchman) probably knows as much as anybody about Shadycreek dogs as he has had a few.If you look at the other females in the link above you'll see a couple I think.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Image Here's a picture of the dog I was talking about above. I have a picture of Tracker Jack I'll see if I can post.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Image Here is a picture of Tracker Jack

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

I was the Owner of Shadycreek Boogity Boogity and Shadycreek Kate for many years. Purchased both from two people I would call friends Jim and Dana Fisk. We met Jim and Dana at the tail end of their beagling days but had many great runs and hunts with their pack of beagles. Boogity was a front end dog that could make you say wow at times or make you want to bang your head off a wall at times. I have never seen a dog that could solo a rabbit as smooth and consisently as he could with such speed and grace. He was a dog that tried to please you as his owner. A beagle that had a personality and brains. He was a close check hound while by himself or in a small pack. Was very explosive out of the check and had the line at a high percentage of the time. His only fault I could find in the three or four years I had him was he got reckless when put in a pack with other powerful dogs. He won his first two AKC midwest trials he was ever put in. In his frist trial the gallery watched a rabbit come out and run down a dirt trail for about 70 yards and turn back in on the same side. There were several big named dogs in this winners pack and all 6 dogs came out on the dirt road having a real tough time. Boogity lined it up and walked it the entire way down the road while the gallery and judges watched. I'm sure it had an impact on where he placed in the trial and was one of those instances that made you say wow!! I was mostly a gun hunter and was switching over to big hounds when I sold him to someone I thought would likely finish him as a FC. I'm not sure that has ever happened as he was sold to someone else. I had heard he was a Grand in UKC and finished in the top ten in some world hunt. None of which I can say for sure just stuff I hear through the beagling grapevine which I'm no longer very close with. Shadycreek Kate was a joy to own. There has never been a cleaner line running female. She wasn't flashy, wouldn't ever get the front, never make you say wow but you can bet your truck on those tough checks when she opened she had it and was getting it straight. She placed in one AKC midwest trial and an ARHA PP trial in her lifetime. Only two trials she was ever put in I think. She was a gun hunters dream come true. Tough as nails on hare and could really grub it out on those tough days. Unfortnately she passed last spring after a day gunning. As far as other Shadycreek hounds I have hunted with IFC Shadycreek Kodiac, IFC Shadycreek Aint that a Kicker, Shadycreek Tina, Diva, Hotten Annie, Teejay, Bodie and many other hounds of Jim and Dana's. One of my all times favorites watching while gunning was Shadycreek Richochete "ricky". True 13" male that ran with power but never seemed to let his packmates effect his style. If I had to say what Jim and Dana bred for and they would be far better served to speak about this than I, I would say Intelligent line running check hounds that you could take gun hunting and be very satisfied with. They were into the trialing scene way before I got into beagling and I beleive finished several hounds. The only beagle I still own is out of their line Smith Bros Lil Gunner Boy. He was out of Boogity and is a very nice gun dog. He isn't ever going to win you a trial as he isn't a front runner. He is a line running check hound with an above average beagle nose. A dog that handles like a dream and a young hunter could easily take hunting and bring back. Some pictures of shadycreek bred dogs: they have made me a very happy rabbit hunter and trialer

Smith Bros Lil Gunner Boy

Shadycreek Boogity Boogity

Shadycreek Kate on right, Smith Bros Lil Gunner Boy on left.
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

couch potato jim

Post by couch potato jim »

In the general service " Studs" look up frenchmans Zacary last and read the hole thing. You will see some of the pups that look like and have shady creek tracker jack in its pedigree. from researching this pedigree in Zac I found that there is some awesome pedigree in it and I also found out that Tracker jack was a outstanding hound. the Jigs pedigree is what I was looking for in a stud hound when I decided to breed my female "Hill Shakers Little Candy Girl" This turned out to be a awesome cross.
Couch Potato Jim
AKC Hill Shakers Little Candy Girl
AKC Candy's Little Dazzling Doc
AKC Jims Jazzy Jigs
AKC Candy's Little Booty Kicker
Chief White Ear
Jigs Iron Ike
Frenchmans Zacary Last @ Stud

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

Great information guys! Thank you for your posts!!

Steve W,
The Frenchman's Zacary's Last -x- Shady Creek She-Dazee pups he has on his site from 3/5/2011 is exactly what I'm looking for (on paper at least). Wish I'd seen those back when he had them up for sale.

Kris,
Thanks for the great post on your hounds, past and present. Really liked reading that. How did Aint that a Kicker run?

Couch potato jim,
Been following Zac on here and have talked with Trevor aka tdog several times. I like that old school blood in him and hopefully it’ll work out to get some of it down here. I like a small 13” hound, so maybe Zac and my small bitch can match up to produce small Jack/Jigs pups. Only time will tell.

Thanks again guys!

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

I saw kicker run when he was 10+ years old on a snowy cold day running hare in Northern MI. He was a line running check dog. I'm guessing a dog that finished for his IFC status from the middle of the pack from the stories I remember Jim and Dana telling. I have seen numerous dogs out of their stock run and I always wanted a pup out of kicker but never materialized. I have had good luck with pups out of Jackson who I believe is gone now. Still my all time favorite would be Ricky who was out of tracker but can't remember bitch
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

my dads friend still has a male out of shady creeks aint that a kicker and five springs hot persuit

couch potato jim

Post by couch potato jim »

I got a pup out of Frenchmans Zacary Last X Hill Shakers Little Candy Girl. This pup looks just like Shady Creek Tracker Jack. They Could be twins the only thing is my pup is a female. Zac and Candy Girl put together a real nice hunting beagle { Jims Jazzy Jigs } this 11 mouth old pup has awesome hunt, line control, nice check work, speed and the brains to slow down when she needs to. I really believe this comes from a pedigree of remarkable hounds. I am happy to here all the positive things about tracker jack and all the other awesome hounds in this cross i made. I know Jazzy is headed for the winner circle and I also know the pups that are coming out of Zac are going to be hunting machines. got love that old school ;) :dance:
Couch Potato Jim
AKC Hill Shakers Little Candy Girl
AKC Candy's Little Dazzling Doc
AKC Jims Jazzy Jigs
AKC Candy's Little Booty Kicker
Chief White Ear
Jigs Iron Ike
Frenchmans Zacary Last @ Stud

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Hey smitty thanks for posting that post, I could tell it was from your truthful heart felt knowledge
. I have thought many times about breeding to zac, the stars just have not aligned. Thanks again for being real. :nod: good luck with your hounds
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:Hey smitty thanks for posting that post, I could tell it was from your truthful heart felt knowledge
. I have thought many times about breeding to zac, the stars just have not aligned. Thanks again for being real. :nod: good luck with your hounds
+1.....Keep it Real boys!

tdog

Post by tdog »

I have not seen any other hounds run out of tracker Jack breeding except Zac that I know of. I have heard from people who have and they say he could throw some true rabbit dogs. I am not sure but I think what I like comes from the combination of Jigs and Jack blood. Although they were half brothers the combination of the two seem to compliment each other exceptionally well. I plan on trying to keep a good balance of both Jigs and Jack in my future breeding plans. I would love to find a female out of tracker jack to breed to Zac but they may be all gone by now.. Thanks to everyone for sharing all the stories of these old hounds. This old blood seems to be somewhat different in a good way and I am glad others see it too.

littlepackguru

Post by littlepackguru »

tdog wrote:I have not seen any other hounds run out of tracker Jack breeding except Zac.I have heard from people who have
i like the jack stuff to seems like you HEARD alot bout it