Hares Where?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

PrideHillKennel

Hares Where?

Post by PrideHillKennel »

We here lots of talk about people going to the UP or Drumund Island to run hare on here. Where else do people go to run them? I know that Up state New York has them, So does Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. HOw about Wisconsin, and Minnesota? Aslo several parts of Canada I have heard. So where have people gone to hunt them and Where did you stay, and Do you or would you go back. Not asking for your seceret spots just general areas. Also for those that go to NY, VT, NH, and Maine how for north do you have to go to find good hare numbers. I know NW Maine had good numbers several years ago when I hunted deer there. Thanks. Good hunting. Brock
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

hounddog

Re: Hares Where?

Post by hounddog »

Brock, we all go to the UP for one main reason. Public land! Miles and mile of it with usually a good number of hare. No, we don't kill very many because most of us are too lazy to clean them and don't eat them so the ones we do kill go to the locals. Great people up there, beautiful country with easy access. We stay in a hunting camp up there that is located between a great diner and our hunting areas. We can usually run all week long and never need to get gas.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

Bellmorekennels

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Brock. I go to maine and stay with a friend of min te that has a small aprtment he rents to people he knows. Just covers his expenses for utilities. Real nice guy and a true houndsman. Also has a 40acre pen with hare that will let you run in.

checkout my website http://www.bellmorekennels.com as i have a video from couple weeks ago in his pen running hare.
if you want info on where let me know.
i will be going in oct and march to hunt there this year. God willing
Forgot to add plenty property in area to hunt. Miles and miles of logging roads.
Anthony

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Dont you run the hare in the mountains in WV Brock?

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Maine can probably compete with any state with the best hare population. I live in the western mountains and am surrounded by 10 of thousands of acres owned by paper company’s and you have free access to almost all the land, no permits no cost just don’t damage the land. This would be a good year for Maine as the hare population has been on the rise and seems to be a real good year along with ruffed grouse seem to be doing real well too. Google 04970 for a map. Or check out

http://emainehosting.com/ridgeviewguide ... nting.html

tell him Courtney said hi.

PrideHillKennel

Post by PrideHillKennel »

Yea we go to the high country and chase them but we do not have the numbers that most places farther north have. You may go all day and not get one jumped some times around here. We are located right at the southern most end of thier range. Sure wish we had more here close by. Brock
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

overpass

Post by overpass »

beware of the wolves in michigans up, they like the taste of beagle meat.

Budd

Post by Budd »

I live in the heart of THOUSANDS of acres or federal and state land, and only one other beagle hunter within 100 miles of me. Anyone is welcome up to my place free of charge if ya come in the months of Jan. and Feb. All hare and no cottontail. I'm in northern Minnesota.

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

What is this, Bud's January/February Incentive Plan? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Budd

Post by Budd »

NorWester1 wrote:What is this, Bud's January/February Incentive Plan? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, I just think if people want to come north and run the great white hare they should do it in the cold winter months and get the whole package experience of true winter running :cool:.

jim matuszewski

Post by jim matuszewski »

were i live here in northeast wi. we have good solid hare numbers with thousands of acers of national forest and paper mill land with public accsess.hare numbers here were much better in the 70s 80s when i was a kid,could go out with a few buddys kicking brush piles and jumpshoot 10-15 a day.

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

Budd wrote:
NorWester1 wrote:What is this, Bud's January/February Incentive Plan? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, I just think if people want to come north and run the great white hare they should do it in the cold winter months and get the whole package experience of true winter running :cool:.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting :lol: But ya never know, someone might take ya up on the offer.