Value Pack dog food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Re: Value Pack dog food

Post by Casey Harner »

Chimney Rock Kennel wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am
I switched from Victor and Pro Plan to the black bag Value Pack. Imo it may not be as good as Victor or Pro Plan on paper but my dogs do better on it as whole than the others. The great dog food debate rages on.
Yes it does Travis!

I just saw this post and figured I do my part and bring it back to life.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Harris Hound Supply wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 pm
likeemfast wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 pm
[/quote When I see Valu Pak it reminds me of Value City, everything garbage under one roof.
Have you ever feed Valu- Pak?
No I have not. I've always been told by my father "you get what you pay for" and "if it seems too good to be true it usually is". ....... $22 for 50lb with basically the same ingredients as Victor hits both warnings for me, but I'm also the same guy who won't shop at Walmart. They put small businesses out of business, don't pay a living wage and IMO cater to the undesirables (freeloaders, welfare abusers) to name a few. I will pay $5, $50, $150 more for something than buy it there.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

After you process, package, ship dog food, let distributor make some money Im guessing they must pay about $3 for the ingredients that go into a 50# bag. You can't buy 50# of dirt for $3.

BTW, I just give my dogs water. They seem to be doing great. No kennel barking, they seem to sleep more. NO stool at all. I put baby oil on their coats to keep them shiny...... :lol:
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

warddog

Post by warddog »

LOL on the getting what you pay for when it comes to food, either people or pet. The TRUTH is that most of the very same food sold at Walmart is the EXACT same stuff sold under other brand names. It is called "private labeling" and the big companies do it for many, many other companies brands. An example would be a Swift-Eckrich Inc. plant in St. Charles, Illinois that does business and produces meat and poultry products under 41 different brand names. That is just one plant, their Armor Swift-Eckrich plant in Kansas City, KS operates under 52 brand names. This one conglomerate is comprised of Swift-Eckrich-Armor and Conagra foods as well as others in which there are variations of hundreds and hundreds of private labeled meat and poultry products manufactured in at least 16 different plants. In just the two I cited above there are 93 different brand name foods produced in them. Many of the brand named foods produced do NOT even have any of those names on the products such as Butterball, Blue Couach foods, Beatrice foods, Decker food co, Jacob E. decker Co., Webber farms, Oldhams farms, and Cudahy foods just to name a few of just one of those companies. NO, I have NEVER made a single pizza in my 30 year career in the USDA but have inspected thousands of them and can only speak to what I know NOT what I have heard. There are many of them parading around as one brand but merely made and packaged by another top brand under a private label. Walmart produces absolutely NOTHING just as most retail stores but they buy the products from other manufacturers and who knows who actually produced it, OTHER than meat and poultry products as those are actually able to be traced back to pretty much the original manufacturer. There is an exception to this and that is for meat and poultry that are bought bulk and repackaged. I do NOT personally like Walmart's retail practices but have to say most of their products are basically the same as elsewhere and the meat and poultry products are 100% the same. The dog food they sell is also made by many other manufacturers that probably also have private labeling accounts as well.

steve w

Post by steve w »

If everything's the same why is the ingredients different between the Valu -Pack 26-18 and the Victor 26-18? Valu-Pack starts out with pork meal, ground corn, and ground wheat then chicken fat, Victor is beef meal, grain sorghum, chicken meal then chicken fat. Doesn't look the same to me, the corn alone makes me pass but what do I know. And as far as Walmart goes when they first came here a friend raved about their meat so I bought a couple steaks to try, I noticed on the label it was injected with saline solution (salt water) funny my local grocery store doesn't do that. Guess I'm like Likemfast and I'll pay a little more for what me and the dogs eat, but I see no reason to stop buying toilet paper from Walmart and I even keep a box of the baby wipes for "those times in the woods" a few in a baggie has saved my :moon: more than once

Harris Hound Supply

Post by Harris Hound Supply »

Valu-Pak has a 26/18 that has grains in it, but they also have a 100% grain free line as well- 28/20, 26/18, and 22/12 at this time.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

I don't care if it's toilet paper, meat or dog food I won't shop Walmart, off topic yes, but I don't care Blah Blah Blah about products and retail and whatever else cuz I won't take the time to read it.

What's the prices on the grain free per 50lb?
Home of

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

likeemfast wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:11 pm
likeemfast wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 pm
[/quote When I see Valu Pak it reminds me of Value City, everything garbage under one roof.
No I have not. I've always been told by my father "you get what you pay for" and "if it seems too good to be true it usually is". ....... $22 for 50lb with basically the same ingredients as Victor hits both warnings for me, but I'm also the same guy who won't shop at Walmart. They put small businesses out of business, don't pay a living wage and IMO cater to the undesirables (freeloaders, welfare abusers) to name a few. I will pay $5, $50, $150 more for something than buy it there.

I am still wondering why your so wound up that I am feeding something other than Victor??

Also I am supporting a mom and pop establishment and not going to the big companies to get my dog food. Hell I just bought all 9 collars that are really nice for $48.00. I'm guessing I shouldn't have done that before checking with you first since your so caught up with what I'm doing?
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Harris Hound Supply

Post by Harris Hound Supply »

Grain free Valu-Pak
28/20-$27
26/18-$26
22/12-$24

No, it's not a dollar a pound or more, but if you want to pay a $1 a pound for it so you can feel better about it, I'll sale it to you.

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

I won a bag of Showtime this weekend. Hear it compares to ProPlan.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

I will tell you this eric I used t feed black gold and pro plan and now I feed showtime 24/20 and 27/20 and my dogs look as good or better than they ever have shine to the coat and muscled up. Scott

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Casey Harner wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:56 pm
likeemfast wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I am still wondering why your so wound up that I am feeding something other than Victor??

Also I am supporting a mom and pop establishment and not going to the big companies to get my dog food. Hell I just bought all 9 collars that are really nice for $48.00. I'm guessing I shouldn't have done that before checking with you first since your so caught up with what I'm doing?
Not wound up, was asked a question by HHS and replied. I'm happy you still have your hounds, understand the issue and dealt with similar issues before kids and shortly after marriage. If made to choose and it almost got to that point, I would of chose the hounds. At that time I was hunting and pleasure running hounds for 27 years and with my wife only 3 years, 2 of which we dated. Wives come and go but good hounds are tough to come by, :D. Now have 2 children and will celebrate 17 years of marriage this year, I'm glad she stuck around to see it. My son is now 13 and has the bug bad, loves running hounds and hunting, I go now more than ever. Once again I apologize your taking my posts the wrong way which I stated earlier.

Funny story, I work with a guy who always asks me questions about my trips afield in hunting season. So I said to him one day, do you hunt? He said oh I used to hunt deer, bear and some small game but I quit. I asked why and he said it was causing problems between him and his wife, so "I showed her I could give it up and I quit". I said, "you showed her"???? He said yep "I showed her". I asked do you miss it? He said "heck yeah" " every year for 20 years now". Yep, he sure showed her :roll:

A man marries a woman hoping she won't change and a woman marries a man hoping she can change him. Gotta find that happy medium.
Home of

warddog

Post by warddog »

steve w wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:53 pm
If everything's the same why is the ingredients different between the Valu -Pack 26-18 and the Victor 26-18? Valu-Pack starts out with pork meal, ground corn, and ground wheat then chicken fat, Victor is beef meal, grain sorghum, chicken meal then chicken fat. Doesn't look the same to me, the corn alone makes me pass but what do I know. And as far as Walmart goes when they first came here a friend raved about their meat so I bought a couple steaks to try, I noticed on the label it was injected with saline solution (salt water) funny my local grocery store doesn't do that. Guess I'm like Likemfast and I'll pay a little more for what me and the dogs eat, but I see no reason to stop buying toilet paper from Walmart and I even keep a box of the baby wipes for "those times in the woods" a few in a baggie has saved my :moon: more than once
AGAIN, Walmart has NO meat that they produce and a local grocery store can and does add water, they are just NOT bound to the same standards as an interstate seller of meat and poultry products are. Every piece of meat and or poultry sold at Walmart is produced by another separate company. THE same ones that are selling it to your local grocery store that they in turn cut themselves and label however they see fit. The truth is that if the package you saw at Walmart had an injected solution cited on the label and the grocery store had the very same product they may or may not have told you on their label. Now days most of it is called case ready where the BIG Corporate conglomerates produce and package and send it in cases of retail sized packages. Walmart then merely takes the packages from the shipped in case and puts them on their shelves. Sam's club still has meat cutters BUT they are cutting some retail cuts from wholesale cuts that comes from YEP again one of the big conglomerates. Every package of meat and or poultry has a USDA inspection legend on it somewhere on the package and either within that round INSPECTED BY THE USDA inspection legend or somewhere on the package is a number of the EXACT PLANT that produced that package of meat or poultry. NOT a single number is assigned to Walmart and it is ALL produced by IBP, Swift, Tyson, etc. By the way EVERY piece of ham, bacon, corned beef and many other meat and poultry products are injected with a solution as are turkeys and chickens. Not all turkeys and chickens even say they contain water and salt as that is the standard way of cooling them during the slaughter process and it is within the standard of identity to contain added water with, or without salt. The salt water is a means of cooling the carcasses and in killing some bacteria.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Nobody believes Walmart makes their own products or butchers their own beef, or has a large chicken coop that they gather eggs from. The shows have been on TV how they beat up their suppliers on prices till the supplier goes out of business then they beat up on another supplier. It's not whether they produce their own product, has nothing to do with it.
Home of

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Temperance goes a long ways in sustaining a marriage. I think what leads relationships to a "dogs go or I go" attitude is the lack of temperance. If Every time your forced to prioritize between dogs and wife, God, kids or work you always choose dogs you might need to consider selling the dogs. If all you care about is dogs then don't get married and endlessly pursue your hedonistic desires.

I'm a free market capitalist. If I assess that Walmart provides the best value they will get some of my business. If a local store can offer equal product at equal price I will go with local business. Propping up a local business by paying double for the same product is doomed to fail. Eventually when times are tough the props come out and they tragically fall exacerbating the downturn in the economy.

BTW, becoming willfully ignorant to one brand of food is silly. Not suggesting frequent changes but glamorizing one brand or another doesn't make it any better. I still say it was a stroke of genius by the advertisers to convince the dog world in the not so distant past that processed dog food is the solution. They did similar things with human food and now we have youth obesity, diabetes, and a plethora of health issues directly linked to processed foods. Moms work outside the home so families can afford the quick easy meals....vicious cycle. Just like humans, dogs benefit immensely from fresh raw meat diet just like your kids benefit from meals made with fresh wholesome ingredients. Everyone can drink the "convenience cool-aid" if you want, but it's disheartening to hear many of you hark the praises of one processed kibble over another.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly