Value Pack dog food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Re: Value Pack dog food

Post by Casey Harner »

mybeagles wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 pm
Temperance goes a long ways in sustaining a marriage. I think what leads relationships to a "dogs go or I go" attitude is the lack of temperance. If Every time your forced to prioritize between dogs and wife, God, kids or work you always choose dogs you might need to consider selling the dogs. If all you care about is dogs then don't get married and endlessly pursue your hedonistic desires.

I'm a free market capitalist. If I assess that Walmart provides the best value they will get some of my business. If a local store can offer equal product at equal price I will go with local business. Propping up a local business by paying double for the same product is doomed to fail. Eventually when times are tough the props come out and they tragically fall exacerbating the downturn in the economy.

BTW, becoming willfully ignorant to one brand of food is silly. Not suggesting frequent changes but glamorizing one brand or another doesn't make it any better. I still say it was a stroke of genius by the advertisers to convince the dog world in the not so distant past that processed dog food is the solution. They did similar things with human food and now we have youth obesity, diabetes, and a plethora of health issues directly linked to processed foods. Moms work outside the home so families can afford the quick easy meals....vicious cycle. Just like humans, dogs benefit immensely from fresh raw meat diet just like your kids benefit from meals made with fresh wholesome ingredients. Everyone can drink the "convenience cool-aid" if you want, but it's disheartening to hear many of you hark the praises of one processed kibble over another.
Dogs wasn't the issue at all.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

warddog

Post by warddog »

mybeagles wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 pm
Temperance goes a long ways in sustaining a marriage. I think what leads relationships to a "dogs go or I go" attitude is the lack of temperance. If Every time your forced to prioritize between dogs and wife, God, kids or work you always choose dogs you might need to consider selling the dogs. If all you care about is dogs then don't get married and endlessly pursue your hedonistic desires.

I'm a free market capitalist. If I assess that Walmart provides the best value they will get some of my business. If a local store can offer equal product at equal price I will go with local business. Propping up a local business by paying double for the same product is doomed to fail. Eventually when times are tough the props come out and they tragically fall exacerbating the downturn in the economy.

BTW, becoming willfully ignorant to one brand of food is silly. Not suggesting frequent changes but glamorizing one brand or another doesn't make it any better. I still say it was a stroke of genius by the advertisers to convince the dog world in the not so distant past that processed dog food is the solution. They did similar things with human food and now we have youth obesity, diabetes, and a plethora of health issues directly linked to processed foods. Moms work outside the home so families can afford the quick easy meals....vicious cycle. Just like humans, dogs benefit immensely from fresh raw meat diet just like your kids benefit from meals made with fresh wholesome ingredients. Everyone can drink the "convenience cool-aid" if you want, but it's disheartening to hear many of you hark the praises of one processed kibble over another.
That pretty much nailed it! If folks understand that brand name foods be it human or pet can be camouflaged or disguised so as the actual producer is without knowledge why do they continue to make statements that Walmart or Kroger or the IGA down the street has poor meat? If any of those further process it then they can change the identity of a product BUT most merely cut or put those items directly on their own shelves. MOST of those products are basically the very same as the BIG brand names sell but they produce it under a private label. I agree with Ilikeemfast and have seen first hand Walmart's business practices of bullying producers to save a half cent a pound to the point of finding a way to fudge on a contract so they can buy it cheaper. That said then goes back to mybeagles free market and those companies bidding on Walmart contracts are free to do so or not do so just as someone is to shop there or not shop there BUT the quality of what they do sell is NOT lesser than anyone elses and in fact is actually the very same other than the label. The same holds true for kibble dog food and if one gets caught up in the business hype for the almighty buck then they evidently do not put much faith in the science of nutrition. The pet food science is up in the air on what is what but it is a constant on what dogs need at a Minimum for growth, reproduction and adult maintenance. Even a total raw meat diet gives question to the needs of canines for other ingredients other than meat. One thing for sure is that the protein levels of meat meal is pretty much the same be it from beef, pork, lamb, chicken or fish because the manufacturers use that protein level to base their formulations on to establish a batch of a certain protein, fat and fiber. The rest is what ever fillers, binders and extenders they can use to fool consumers as to what is better for their pet over another for the almighty buck. They spend a lot of money on advertising to sell folks with more money than sense their products. Of course, that does NOT change the fact that each individual knows how a specific food works for THEM in their case as there are as many variables within each of us as there are brands of foods! if it works for you, good but that doesn't mean it works for all nor that it is good, better or the best. What one feeds is the same as what dogs they keep, a matter of opinion. Casey, sorry to jump on your thread and I hope things are better on the home front regardless of what dogs you have or what YOU choose to feed them.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Casey,

Feed what works best for you within your budget, if your hounds do well on it and it's within your price range, that's all you can ask for.

My wife and I are going on 33 years of marriage and believe me, it hasn't always been an easy road.
Just like all things in life, you get out of it what you put into it.
It takes honesty, understanding, dedication and give/take from both to make it work.

Good luck and always remember, the glass is half full, not half empty! ;)

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Swampman wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am
Casey,

Feed what works best for you within your budget, if your hounds do well on it and it's within your price range, that's all you can ask for.

My wife and I are going on 33 years of marriage and believe me, it hasn't always been an easy road.
It takes honesty, understanding, dedication and give/take from both to make it work.

:check:

I love my dogs to death and feed them best I can afford, but my wife will always come first. We'll celebrate 33 yrs. of marriage in August of 2017. The longer it goes the stronger we grow. Year by year it grows sweeter and sweeter. We both know the time is shortening when one of us will most likely bid the other fare well.......... for a time. The reunion awaiting will be forever as we are rejoined with a whole host of generations who preceded us. Dogs will come and go but the souls of people will never die and we actually get to choose our destiny.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Hare Chaser wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:40 am
Swampman wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am
Casey,

:check:

I love my dogs to death and feed them best I can afford, but my wife will always come first. We'll celebrate 33 yrs. of marriage in August of 2017. The longer it goes the stronger we grow. Year by year it grows sweeter and sweeter. We both know the time is shortening when one of us will most likely bid the other fare well.......... for a time. The reunion awaiting will be forever as we are rejoined with a whole host of generations who preceded us. Dogs will come and go but the souls of people will never die and we actually get to choose our destiny.
+2 for me as well. Just had our 40th anniversary and I can say it has not all been on easy street. In our early days I was into coon hunting pretty heavy. Gone a lot of nights during the week and then on weekends to a hunt somewhere and or gone rabbit or squirrel hunting. Although she was raised in a bird hunting family they only did so on weekends and maybe a three day trip every so often. Of course she wasn't a hunter and had no interest in doing it. I did so for years until one day it dawned on me that she was sitting at home while I was doing what I wanted to do days at a time. Although she never ever complained, I decided that beings she was not only my wife but my best friend I had to consider her in the equation as well and changed MY priorities. I still hunt and fish but those things are NOT at the top of my priority list as they once were. I came to realize that a good dog was hard to find and getting one took time but a good friend and wife was even harder when one doesn't consider their feelings into the equation whether spoken or not. One thing we did find out that we both enjoy and that is mushroom hunting and she does that with or without me and when we go together it is GREAT!

Budd

Post by Budd »

It all tastes the same....LOL
At least that's what the guy in this video says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9zfw3Jhv8

warddog

Post by warddog »

That right there is FUNNY, I don't care who you are. Same/same and one may very well have been bought at Walmart!

Tim G

Post by Tim G »

:lol: lmao