Guess I am Just Too Old And Dumb

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ky. Hunter

Guess I am Just Too Old And Dumb

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I am 63 years old and I have been running/hunting dogs since I was 12 years old and that is 51 years. In later years I hear people saying "that dog is running too much rabbit". Could someone tell me what this means. Beagles are bred to run rabbits so what do they mean by saying they are running too much rabbit. Thanks for enlighting this old man on this. I want mine to run the rabbit not the other dogs.

BEAGLEBLUES

Re: Guess I am Just Too Old And Dumb

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

Thank you for asking as I would also like to know

Thanks
Jamey

warmule

Post by warmule »

fellow told me that one time about my male dog when he gets one up and scent is good rabbit got 2 options go in hole or get ate
John 3:16

beaglerof4

Post by beaglerof4 »

I have only heard that from a few guys that got :mad2: because there dogs got picked up at a trial. My understanding of the saying is if a dog is way out in front of the pack running the rabbit by its self instead of running it with the pack. True meaning is that the dog was way to fast and rough, and got picked up for that reason and the owner got mad :lol:

warmule

Post by warmule »

them the kind i like red and rough :dance:
John 3:16

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

the dog is too fast
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

dog

Post by dog »

What that means is your dog is better than mine and that is the only excuse i can come up with :nod: no such thing ,

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

When I was told that my dog was way out in front but not running rough, he was doing it the right way but the other dogs were running where he had been and trying to catch up but were having no luck because the scenting was good and he was not loosing the scent.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

beaglerof4 wrote:I have only heard that from a few guys that got :mad2: because there dogs got picked up at a trial. My understanding of the saying is if a dog is way out in front of the pack running the rabbit by its self instead of running it with the pack. True meaning is that the dog was way to fast and rough, and got picked up for that reason and the owner got mad :lol:
Dogs don't have to be rough to be fast, just smart and fast. What I say"haul azz fast". I have seen dogs make packs look silly, if scent is high, they can't be caught. Too me I will take a running too much rabbit hound anyway. Conditions don't always allow it but katty-bar the doors when it does.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Good question Ky. Hunter as you and i are from about the same generation and i hear these things that just don't seem to sink in. Another one I hear that don't compute is barking early and some call it mouthy. I have a hard time knowing exactly when the rabbit is jumped if my dogs are out trying to find and jump one. I've never smelled a rabbit track to a squat to know exactly when that bunnie decided to take a squat or went into that brush pile to determine if it just went in there or had been there awhile. Is the track on the other side of the rabbit not a track in which it takes a little better nose to smell than the one that would be red hot when it was tracked up to the squat in which to jump it up? When I coon hunted I loved them cold nosed dogs that could open on an ole bad feeder track, drift it and work it up to put a tree on it! Game over or plus points on the scorecard, ain't that why they do it? :???:

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

It means the dog is running two at a time.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

to me a rough dog is not fast if he she swings slaashes to get to front means he can't run with other dogs has to cheat to get there i know alot want agree with me thats o k but im entitled to my opinion always sell or kill front dog and last dog then u will have agood pack. again (jmo) I HATE A SWINGING DOG .
BIGDOGPACE

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

It seems to me that "running too much rabbit" is a polite way of saying your dog is running rough. Its pretty silly to me that people say that and confuse people rather than just saying your dog is rough that day.

But I have heard of cases that in AKC the dog simply was picked up because it was faster than the pack... Its one reason people started other formats to run in...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Too rough is one thing, but no where in any rule book does it say a dog is too fast. As long as the dog is dong it right it cant be too fast.

To me if a dog is rough and does alot of swinging then it is leaving alot of track untouched, Therefore it wouldn't be running enough rabbit. A dog they say runs too much rabbt is a dog they have to admit is doing it right, and leaving the other dogs in its dust.

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

Bring a mid west style dog to western pa and you will know in the first AKC SPO trial you drop them in. I had my derby picked up last year at my home club for being 40 yards in front of the pack no missing a beat. He wasn't "cooperating" with the pack lol. I have heard of many others with same style dogs as me having the same issue.

Thats the only thing I can think of and even then their not running to much rabbit they are running to much rabbit for that trial or group of hunting dogs.
Contenderized