Feedback on something I've been thinking about......

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pilotknob

Feedback on something I've been thinking about......

Post by pilotknob »

I don't owne a set yet but with the technoligy with the GPS tracking systems out there why couldn't a format for trialing be set up useing them.Software might have to be created to chrunch #'s but that's doable.What I was thinking score points for the jump,minus points for the dog that was in the front after a given amount of time when a check was created and the dog with the most time closest to the front with the most forward motion time and the least minus points wins.Seems something like this would over time give you hounds that had hunt,and ran a controled line as fast as they were able to.There could be different classes based on pre-established gps distances in a given time they ran, so like hounds could compete......Just something I've been kicking arround.Seems like something like this would take alot of the subjectiveness out of judging and just judge the dogs.And you could go anyplace in the country and say you had Class 3 13in. hounds when you put down you would know you were competeing with the same.......I know there are alot of guys out there alot smarter than me but it seems that if the right criterion was set it would work.What do you think?

Farm dog

Re: Feedback on something I've been thinking about......

Post by Farm dog »

The gps collars don't update at the same exact time to know who is exactly in front. So it won't work like you think.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

That SU#%S!!!!!

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

If you judge by collars that would be like judging sitting on a tail gate!! How would you know if a dog is back tracking or if a dog that is barking in the check?? Way to many areas to even make this close to possible!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Mostlikely dosn't matter because of the update issue,but it would be based on forward motion.Wouldn't matter if a dog was barking in a check if they wern't going any where.Back tracking again not forward motion...There would still have to be a judge or master of hounds or someone in charge of the cast to be there and deal with problems,the dogs and handlers.But it don't matter the technology isn't there to do it yet.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

WIthin a few years-- maybe ten or so with enough R&D involved it could become viable... But right now the tech is NO WHERE NEAR where it would need to be..

My guess is you will always need some sort of a human eye on things to account for uncontrolled variables.... Like what if a dog gets stuck in a fence row and skirts to get over the fence or what if there is a split track on a check area and etc.. etc..

BUT I DO WISH YOU COULD USE GPS COLLARS IN UKC or otehr formats--- It would be a lot easier to score lines and cut dogs off to get more time in. Although I guess that gives you an advantage over other casts...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:WIthin a few years-- maybe ten or so with enough R&D involved it could become viable... But right now the tech is NO WHERE NEAR where it would need to be..

My guess is you will always need some sort of a human eye on things to account for uncontrolled variables.... Like what if a dog gets stuck in a fence row and skirts to get over the fence or what if there is a split track on a check area and etc.. etc..

BUT I DO WISH YOU COULD USE GPS COLLARS IN UKC or otehr formats--- It would be a lot easier to score lines and cut dogs off to get more time in. Although I guess that gives you an advantage over other casts...
I think you see where I was trying to go with this idea.I wasn't aiming for a electronic field trial but was wanting to incorperate real time data into a set of critera that would allow you to use it to measure the hounds against each other.And mabe remove some of the human subjectiveness.

crowtown kennel

Post by crowtown kennel »

Its already in the works. I wont reveal the mans name but he has a prototype collar that he has worked on with a big name gps company. I have seen the collar. It is very interesting and works rather well. It also has a voice detector built in that will tell you when that dog barks. That worked pretty well also. The scoring system is different than any other format. Very simple in fact. We ran some dogs a few times like a field trial with the scoring this gentleman put together. I have to admit when he first told me about it 5 years ago I told him he was crazy. I never thought it would work but everytime we had a mock field trial the dog that won was indeed the same dog that the judge had winning with a judge running behind the dogs! You could tell a lot. As with any new device it had a few quirks but it is closer to reality than what many people would think!!
GRCH GRHBCH Hunter Run Molly
GRHBCH No Luck Red Falcon of Crowtown
Crowtowns Emma
Gabbys Blue Ace of Crowtown
Hurricanes Red Irish Rose
No Luck VA Voodoo of Crowtown
CH Adams Beth

lebro

Post by lebro »

ill stay with real live judges. with all the money in big time sports and camera angles they are staying with humans and the cameras show they are right most of the time and can understand things that are not black and white.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

pilotknob wrote:Mostlikely dosn't matter because of the update issue,but it would be based on forward motion.Wouldn't matter if a dog was barking in a check if they wern't going any where.Back tracking again not forward motion...There would still have to be a judge or master of hounds or someone in charge of the cast to be there and deal with problems,the dogs and handlers.But it don't matter the technology isn't there to do it yet.

I will not be attending any trial that does not care about barking in the check or back tracking!! You can attend those yourself!! How is a tracking unit gonna be able to determine a rabbit that did a double? :bash:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Mo. Beagler 5000

Well if the collar refreshed quick enough and you could see the actual line then it would be fairly easy to see a back track and distinguish what dog took it and if the rabbit double backed or if it was a fault by the dog....

Just sayin, no one thought 60 years ago there would be a garmin astro out or that it would ever be possible

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:Well if the collar refreshed quick enough and you could see the actual line then it would be fairly easy to see a back track and distinguish what dog took it and if the rabbit double backed or if it was a fault by the dog....

Just sayin, no one thought 60 years ago there would be a garmin astro out or that it would ever be possible
let me know when they come out with a Garmin for the rabbits to wear!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Mo. Beagler 5000

more likely there would be a camera or motion detector that located the rabbit and tracked its trajectory and it would be a combination of motion/heat/video..

where theres a will theres a way.. heck they even have bullets that are heat seeking now and lazer guided and your tellin me its an impossibility??

not sayin it will happen but surely it could. my junior high kids built robotic arms last year in 7th grade so anything is possible