Uniary Trac Infection

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hippy

Uniary Trac Infection

Post by Hippy »

Hope there is a Vet that can answer this. My "Measuring SticK" Gyp has a reaccuring Uninary Trac Infection.

Due to back surgery I have had her laid up got to run her a little yeasterday and thought she was just "Rusty" ran again this AM and am positive that she has the infection again. :hammer:

She has always been a SURE MOUTH dog the last two days she is MOUTHY and is running dead last in a trio which she usually had the lead or 2nd. :annoyed:

She definately has pain as she yelps when you pick her up- most of these signs are present on a yearly basics . :bash:

What can I do to keep it from coming bac ??

Thanx,
Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

goodpickens

Re: Uniary Trac Infection

Post by goodpickens »

I had this problem once with a mutt my wife brought home. The vet gave her estrogen pills but she had to get blood tests every few weeks which was a pain in the rear. Ended up taking her off the pills and giving her a cup of cranberry juice every day. The infection cleared up and she never had another one while I had her. Not sure medically how cranberry juice affects the symptoms, especially on a running dog, but it worked for me.

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

A UTI is caused by bacteria or e-coli in the bladder which needs to be treated with an antibiotic and alittle something for pain. Cranberry capsules are the way to go, cranberry juice that's too much sugar but i have used it ,they are used as a preventative not cure for dogs that have a tendency to get UTIs. The cranberries create an acidic environment in the bladder which some bacteria cannot thrive in. Have your dog vet checked as soon as you can, untreated UTIs can lead to crystals or stones forming which require surgery.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

bmills

Post by bmills »

I had a male that had symptoms of a urinary tract infection but when I took him to the vet he actually had a bladder stone. He said it was like a kidney stone but in the bladder. He said that the stone can move around in the bladder and cause them to act fine at times and really bother them at other times. He removed the stone and is just fine now. Might not hurt to have her checked for that.

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

Thanx Guys :check:

I have given AMMOXICILLION in the past - out of all my Gyps she is the only one who gets this

Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"