The complete hound

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chapkosbeagles

The complete hound

Post by chapkosbeagles »

why is it that people would rather have a fast hound that can run the front more than what they would want a complete hound. what I mean by this is the dog doesn't hunt good doesn't check good all they can do is get the front and go when it is hot.
I see more and more people breeding front runners rather than breeding their complete dog. I see dogs that the only thing they can do is when the rabbit is hot jump out front and run it. if they go into a hard loss they can't seem to work it out ever.
if a dog can't figure out a check. The race is dead.

A complete hound will not only jump the rabbit check the rabbit he will run the frontand try to catch the rabbit.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Re: The complete hound

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I want a dog to run with the intent too overtake it's game. Pretty much what the Midwest looks for with Control. Sounds Easy huh? Make a Midwest FC.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Thats why I went with a green bay hound.
TheJohnBirchSociety

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Jimmy
I have seen dogs in midwest that were complete hounds but also seen dogs that could not jump or run a rabbit by itself, and made fc .would u call that a complete hound because it made fc
I dont know u but I bet ur dogs dont warm my feet till the rabbit is up. I bet u dont walk ur dog thew the briers with a stick yelling taliho lol if u do any of this u would feel embarrassed after seeing what im feeding.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

chapkosbeagles wrote:Jimmy
I have seen dogs in midwest that were complete hounds but also seen dogs that could not jump or run a rabbit by itself, and made fc .would u call that a complete hound because it made fc
I dont know u but I bet ur dogs dont warm my feet till the rabbit is up. I bet u dont walk ur dog thew the briers with a stick yelling taliho lol if u do any of this u would feel embarrassed after seeing what im feeding.
I walk through the brush and kick brush with my hounds!! I aint emberassed at all when it comes to hunt!! Now there are times when i wish i could sit on the tailgate and do nothing but you and the hounds are a team and teams play together!! I want my hounds close by me not 300 yards out, what happens when your in a place with little to no rabbits and possibky thousands of acres?? You jist let them wonder off to go find game?? Good way to lose a hound!!! I dont have the hardest hunting dogs but they will get in the brush and find a rabbit!! Just my opinion cause i cant recall the last time i went gun hunting just sitting on the tailgate, it requires the hunter to be out there!!! Some dogs just hunt different than othera i guess, mine like to be closer to me cause of the handleing i do with them. I dont have anything against a hard hunting go out there dog cause i had one in my old lprch boldstroke buffalo bill and he would hunt his butt off but i didnt like it also cause who knows where he would end up!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

chapkosbeagles wrote:why is it that people would rather have a fast hound that can run the front more than what they would want a complete hound. what I mean by this is the dog doesn't hunt good doesn't check good all they can do is get the front and go when it is hot.
I see more and more people breeding front runners rather than breeding their complete dog. I see dogs that the only thing they can do is when the rabbit is hot jump out front and run it. if they go into a hard loss they can't seem to work it out ever.
if a dog can't figure out a check. The race is dead.

A complete hound will not only jump the rabbit check the rabbit he will run the frontand try to catch the rabbit.
you left a few qualities of a "complete" hound out. Conformation, and handling.
Big Mike

chapkosbeagles wrote:Jimmy
I dont have a problem staying with my hounds, just like alot i will talk to em as we walk. Some more than others lol.Very seldom do i raise my voice to a hound, just dont have the need. As far a Fc that cant jump and circle i aint seen many but then again i dont run with many people, just cuz my opinions are strong at times and i am my worst critic. I have shot lots of dogs that probaly alot would have loved to fed. I will say this Bobby and i wont lie about our hounds and aint gonna start now. When we show the hounds are ready to go and they are the ones that made the cut. Pretty simple therory.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

It is ok to have a hound stay in the pocket,but it is not ok to have to jump the rabbit for them

I look for the hound that has the nack for finding rabbits in any country I call it rabbit radar
I said it befor and ill say it again
Number one
1 hunt (must look for rabbits rather u call um to ya all the time or just let um go) if ur beagle just sats there and waits for u to walk him over a track that is not hunt period that is junk. The old timers would cull it.
2jump(a dog can hunt all day but might never jump a rabbit. some dogs got it some dogs don't)

3check must be able to work out losses once jumped

4 pretty much the last factor speed an drive over taking the game
These are the first things THAT I LEARNED AS A BEAGLER
The reasoning behind this theory is if a dog cant do the first 3 speed dont mean crap
If u build u kennel from step 1 to 4 u will not olny have a better gun dog u will clime the ladder to having rabbit catchers faster speed is the easyest thing to breed for
Kind like the turtle and the hair

TrlBustinBeagle

Post by TrlBustinBeagle »

Chapkos sounds like you got this complete hound figured out. I remember you describing a female you sold some months ago named betsy as a well balanced female that can finish in AKC. Well I ran with her with some 7 month old pups and let me first say she had no chance of competing in the midwest association.
Trail Bustin Beagles
Winners Train While Losers Complain

RIP:
Nr FC Juls Trail Bustin Hollie
Fld Wnr. JJ's Magnificent Maggie
Home of:
Trail Bustins Josie Wales
Trail Bustin's Magnificent Maxie

TrlBustinBeagle wrote:Chapkos sounds like you got this complete hound figured out. I remember you describing a female you sold some months ago named betsy as a well balanced female that can finish in AKC. Well I ran with her with some 7 month old pups and let me first say she had no chance of competing in the midwest association.
:shock: Lots harder than it sounds Huh?

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Must have been some nice young hounds when I sold her I descibed the dog to a tee did not lie she was more of a lph hound best in big packs

1 she did go hunting
2 she could jump her own rabbit needed no help
3wasent a great check dog but could get her done
4 she ran to catch (not saying she could) but tryed
Now depending on where she was trialed she could finish

I would not of called her a cull, as she was not great but had 1 2 and 3 covered if she had 4 she would still be here

Jimmy put that dog in thin hare with all ur fc and pack and I lay my money she out jumps them all she was the deepest hunting bitch I seen in hare country times she jumped rabbits 900 yards in the swamps of harrison.

All and all I sold her as I olny keep the best
This ftch bitch I got at the house 6 wins and a second in 8 trial was beating her up a bit :biggrin:

Jimmy put that dog in thin hare with all ur fc and pack and I lay my money she out jumps them all she was the deepest hunting bitch I seen in hare country times she jumped rabbits 900 yards in the swamps of harrison.
Chaps too be honest a dog that goes 900 yards deep on me is considered lost.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:Jimmy put that dog in thin hare with all ur fc and pack and I lay my money she out jumps them all she was the deepest hunting bitch I seen in hare country times she jumped rabbits 900 yards in the swamps of harrison.
Chaps too be honest a dog that goes 900 yards deep on me is considered lost.

:lol: so true!! Thats why i hunt with my dogs!! Letting a dog go hunt like that chaps your lucky you still had that bitch to be able to sell!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

By the way tribustinbeagler I am not going to sell what I call a complete hound to hard to come by
I want to know the guys name that is cause I want them

Hound like these are all over but guys wont sell them
What I am trying to say is that
if the dog possesses the first 3 qualities of a good beagle the fourth 1 will come easy

Beaglers have flooded the market with dogs that don't hunt have no nose and cannot check a rabbit all this to have a hound that you have to walk around and jump a red hot rabbit for them to smoke it

Im I the olny one who sees this? I dont think so

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

lol: :lol:
I said she had 1 and 2 all figured out

Some time that is what it dose take up here
I cant teach them to go hunting but I can always real them in on the shock collar