dogs shipped/delivered

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ant

dogs shipped/delivered

Post by ant »

i see adds in the magazine for dog's for sale clean across the US.
i always wonder how are they delivered after they are purchased.
then i see a add for "hound hauling nationwide for $150-$250/dog."

tell me more about it.
anthony

Bob Graves

Post by Bob Graves »

I just had two beagle pups shipped from Indiana to New York :D on Northwest Airlines. It cost $112.00 +tax and it took about seven hours start to finish. For some reason, they had to go to Detroit Michigan before coming to New York. Pups arrived just fine, and shipping charges were paid COD. I would use air shipping again, it seems like a few hours on a plane would be less stressful than Days/weeks in some trailer. And I know that I couldn't drive to Danville Ind. from Utica NY and back for $112.00 Just my experience with air shipping, I'm sure there are some horror stories out there. :shock:

New York Hillbilly

Air ship

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Bob,
Utica? You are 15 miles from me! Who did you get the pups from? I may have some more questions about how you went about air shipping the pups in the future. Did they fly into Syracuse?

NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Bob Graves

Post by Bob Graves »

Hey NYH, where abouts are you from Utica? I got the pups from Scott Smith (DocS) in Indiana. I got a male and a bitch from him. I had them flown into Albany International Airport, it was around $50.00 cheaper than Syracuse. My e-mail is hunt01@dreamscape.com if you want more info on shipping, or just to say hey!

jackrabbit

dog haulers

Post by jackrabbit »

bob........ i sent a beagle pup to new york a few weeks back thru the dog haulers you are talking about. they have large extended bed vans with dog crates set up inside. they travel the country delivering picking up dogs. it can take a little time to get it comleted, but they keep in touch with you the whole time. they make a route out of it. so they may be picking up dogs in florida and will pick up and drop off all the way back to new york. it took them three days to deliver the hound to the fellow in new york due to picking up and delivering in differant cities on their way. they feed .water, and exercise the dogs in route. both the jim in new york and i were very happy with their work...... it cost 150.00 to get the pup to new york and the only thing i had to do was take the pup a convience store here in warsaw, in. we had prearranged the spot. and as far as i know thats how they delivered it to jim. by the way that is the pup that started opening at three and half months.

New York Hillbilly

Dogs shipped

Bob,
I grew up in the city of Utica and graduated from what was UFA. I now live in Sangerfield,N.Y. We have lots of critters to chase out here in the boonies. For a kid that grew up on old copies of Outdoor Life and Field and Stream handed down to me from my uncles, this is a dream come true. I got my start in beagles when I would go to stay in the country with my father. He raised them to sell as pets but I would manage to keep one or two and roam all over with them jumping on brush piles and getting them to chase the rabbits that would run out. We got pretty efficient over the years. To this day I still enjoy beagles as much as when I was a kid and the sound of them doing their work makes my heart swell. They are great hunting partners who love nothing more than chasing rabbits and pleasing their Big, Two legged, Pack mate! ;)

Good talking to you
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Bob Graves

Post by Bob Graves »

Hi Jack, how's things? I'm a little confused by your post, I shipped by air from indy, does NorthWest have a ground transport???????

NYH, I hunt Nine Mile Swamp in Sangerfield for deer and grouse quite a bit, My cousin owns some land in N. Brookfield as well. My younger Brother moved to Waterville 4 years ago, so I'm familiar with your neck of the woods. You must have fun keeping your hounds off deer around those parts, I have seen both cottontail and Snowshoe hare in the swamp, but I have never put my hounds down around there. I also went to UFA, Had I not been such a bonehead, I would have graduated in 87, but I started my family at 17, so I went to work instead. I wouldn't change that situation for the world though, we have been together for 18 years, and have 2 great kids. Maybe we can get together sometime. Good talking to you too.

Bob

New York Hillbilly

ship

Bob,
No doubt I'll look you up for a rabbit hunt sometime. I hunt those Nine Mile deer also. I just wait till they cross Rt12 and head across the corn fields and into our woods. We had a good season this year passed lots of small bucks and took a couple of nice ones. We don't drop our hounds in the swamp because of the numbers of deer. Why tempt fate? I once had two of my hounds get loose and they ran for days before I caught them. Actually I caught the older bitch on day two as she was walking along the Mason road. My younger bitch I caught when my neighbor who was coon hunting spotted her along the edge of a corn field and called me. Guess what she was doing when I found her? Nope not running deer! She was eating one, a road kill. I thought I would fall over dead when I saw that spectacle! She was emaciated and wore pure out. I shuddered at the thought that she might have run this deer for three days and finally ran it onto the highway just to get a meal. :roll: After I fattened her back up and rehydrated her I took her out solo. WE ran in the middle of a deer yard while she was wearing a shock collar. She ran the blazes out of rabbits all day and never showed interest in deer much to my relief. So I guess running them is not high on her priority list, but eating one in a pinch is not beneath her. :shock: :lol:

Till next time
NYH