The Gray Scale

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bucks better beagles

The Gray Scale

Post by bucks better beagles »

For any of you who may not have read it, Jim Lane has a very good article about Elmer Gray's breeding techniques in The American Beagler this month. Ties in nicely with information given in the post "the Perfect Hound" before it went off the tracks.

Has anyone had first hand experience with this method? Seems simple and not too scientific to scare off users. I used a variation of this point system to buy dogs in the old days.

KesslerBeagles

Re: The Gray Scale

Post by KesslerBeagles »

I really like Mr. Lane's articles. I met him when a bunch of us beaglers met to run in Coshocton, Oh and ended up getting a pup from him. On the Laneline website is a copy of the article and the evaluation chart to go with the article. According to him, Elmer Gray, Willet Randall, Frank Reese and LM Watson were all men before their time. He named a few others, but these are the ones I can remember. Here are the direct links to both the article and evaluation chart right off their website. I copied the evaluation chart, good stuff!

Article: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9 ... 7A9F7A!226

Evaluation Chart: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9 ... 7A9F7A!225

MPankratz

Post by MPankratz »

Excellent! That's more or less what I was talking about in systematizing the process, though I'd add many additional data points.

I don't think it's as simple as a scale though. I could easily see reasons why a dog that didn't meet the standard in some areas would still be bred because he had excess in another. Of course if those pups did not pick up whatever quality he selected for, there'd be no reason to attempt that with him again (though of course statistically one trial is meaningless, it's hard to breed statistically meaningful numbers of dogs without being overrun).

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Elmer always said his "keepers" always had three things in common,... They were always ready for a pan of food, a dog fight or a rabbit race. :biggrin:

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Pan of food
Dog fight
Rabbits race

Patch u just described my hounds

allniter

Post by allniter »

I think a lot goes into training --and how the pup was hunted ---just like your kids they start out the same 1st_ grade --if they they don't go to school and feed right--etc--- you know the results -------also I think you need about [3 ] breeders at least- one breeder can't keep and train the # of dogs to get good results ---TIME INVOLVE --that train and know what each is trying to breed for ---also think you have to keep the whole litter ----for intense if half of the pups go as house pets --how do you know PCT. of littler was good ones or duds ----if only one good in a litter --that isn't what I want to breed to ----if the whole litter makes above avg-or better dogs is what I want to breed to --I don't want a MAN made dog I want the naturals ---8-12 week old pup chasing and braking on rabbit --sight chasing ----how many good pups are damage for life from training ---BE HONEST AND KEEP A GOOD DIARY -----TRAINING AND BREEDING IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

S.R.Patch wrote:Elmer always said his "keepers" always had three things in common,... They were always ready for a pan of food, a dog fight or a rabbit race. :biggrin:
I knew a old guy that had line bred Jiggs hounds.They would fight at the drop of a hat.I asked him once why he liked such hot blooded dogs.His reply was When I drop the tailgate I know one of three things is gona happen they are either gona fight,screw or go find a rabbit.Anything else their days are numbered.He was a ornrey old cuss,I always got along with him pretty good(Most didn't unless you had dogs bred like his or part pit bull you couldn't run dogs with him).Most likely alot of sense to his way of thinking.He always had fine hounds and grit didn't begin to discribe them.They had no quit,they would be going just as strong at the end of the day as when you turned them out,no matter how bloody or torn up they were.

Woodhavenrabbitdogs

Post by Woodhavenrabbitdogs »

this sounds like a great way to take personal feelings out of evaluating your dogs. Of course you have to be honest first but I am going to use this on my kennel, worst case it may help you stay objective best case over time your dogs will continually improve, whats to lose
Rodney E Miller
Central Ohio
Woodhaven Captain Howdy
Woodhaven White Trailer Trish
Wapajo Hermione

underdog

Post by underdog »

Outstanding article Jim.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Buck I like this scale it is a great way to grade I think my hounds run according to the conditions so what would be a good way of factorying this in to the scale?

Exsample if senting is high than one might run the body(head high) but if senting is low one might run a little slower with head down

underdog

Post by underdog »

Has anyone used this scale on their hounds yet? I'm not asking you to share scores I was just curious to see if anyone
else has benefited or learned something about their dogs strengthes and weaknesses.

nchunter102

Post by nchunter102 »

Chapko to me this scale isn't done after each run..It's from your observation..If you have a dog that will hold it's head high and run in good scenting and when scenting is bad it will stick it's nose down and progress the line then it should get a score in each of those categories.

Woodhavenrabbitdogs

Post by Woodhavenrabbitdogs »

I am using it at this time. I am going to evaluate every one at 6months, 1 year, 11/2 year and 2year. then average the scores for the final score. that should hopefully factor in the skill level growing at different speeds for the dogs, it should help average out my bias for a perticular dog and it gives plenty of time for viewing different running conditions so I can score fairly ex pack,solo,night,day.. also will try to score dogs brought in new to the kennel and stud dogs at least 3 times that way its fair across the board. Whats the worst thats going to happen < you having to be honest with yourself?? you dont have to show the scores to no one >
Rodney E Miller
Central Ohio
Woodhaven Captain Howdy
Woodhaven White Trailer Trish
Wapajo Hermione