Best all around Gundog bloodline

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TickTownBriarBuster

Re: Best all around Gundog bloodline

Post by TickTownBriarBuster »

Well fellows I have had really good luck with dogs that have heavy Weir Creek and Pea Ridge Big Wheel. All my dogs have tons of all day hunt, lots of dogs will hunt good for two or three hours, but I like dogs that will all day. I've tried dogs from all over the country and not seen any that hunt much harder than the lines I am running. Some people say they don't have enough foot, but to me people have Become to concerned with foot and not concerned enough with running the line. I like to see a hound lock on the track and run until its over, lots of times people say the rabbit holed up when the reality of it is more times than not they just lost it. If a dog will buckle down and run with the scenting conditions you'll see more rabbits. Just my opinion on rabbit dogs. Happy hunting to you all and most important GOD BLESS!
Grand Victory Kennels
http://www.grandvictorykennels.com/
Home of:
Shultz Creeks Hillbilly Gauge
FC Crystals Checkered Lilly
FC Huberts Blazing Blue Angel

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

The old Gay breeding, dogs I've seen directly out of linebred/Gay bred hounds were rabbit dogs to a "T" when you think about a gun dog. With good hound mouths!
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Everyone has there own opinion. Go watch some hounds and make your own judgement. I will say from personal experience, I have seen hounds from the lines I have I did not like, but for me the ones I found to be able to hunt and breed from that line are selectively picked and fill my needs, key is MY NEEDS. You have a lot of folks on this board and all boards who have seen one less than average hound from a particular line then they say "didn't work for me". I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on a line of hounds without seeing multiple GOOD representations of that line.

Most of the folks telling me the line "didn't work" for me bought someone else's cull to begin with. Just something that irritates me. I will not say I do not like a certain line without seeing quality proof either way, JMO. Go watch the guys hounds who is winning in the trials and or filling the tailgate full, I would likely find something within that crowd to suit my needs, but again personal preference plays the biggest role.

GO SEE THEM RUN and judge yourself, you will save tons of money and aggravation.

Open invites to Buffalo Creek Kennels any and all times of year.

The dogs will make up your mind for you, not the owner or the breeder!

Joseph J Murphy

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

Bucks Branch Kalagha
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

bcbeagles, Good overall post! just wanted to say one thing though, I can fill a tailgate full without a dog, so tailgates full of rabbits do not necessarily indicate dog power to me, A lot of the time they indicate jump shooting as it takes quite a bit of time to find and properly circle twenty rabbits.But I get your overall point. As some have said that ole Gay Baker line is tough to beat in my opinion also. The old flatcreeks and weircreeks are other similar lines. You have to have balance in your line . As a general rule If you breed for speed you will lack control and gears , If you breed strictly for control you will lack some hunt, I want something in the middle, decent speed, control, and hunt. The Gay line fills this bill perfectly! Not only that but their conformation is better than most.

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

The Gay bred hounds I used to see hunted close and thurough and had medium upper foot and ran the track good noses and good looking hounds compared to a lot of common lines now boldstrokes and daddy rabbit and Elliot Peters has some of Dexter reffets stuff that are just plain ole meat getting rabbit dawgs that live to hunt. The term " a gun dog never goes out of style" is a philosophy to to bank in!!!
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

ohlinger wrote:The Gay bred hounds I used to see hunted close and thurough and had medium upper foot and ran the track good noses and good looking hounds compared to a lot of common lines now boldstrokes and daddy rabbit and Elliot Peters has some of Dexter reffets stuff that are just plain ole meat getting rabbit dawgs that live to hunt. The term " a gun dog never goes out of style" is a philosophy to to bank in!!!

Ohlinger, like the way you put that sentence, "ole meat getting rabbit dawgs that live to hunt" , i would take a kennel full of them anytime.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I would hate to paint myself in a corner and declare one bloodline the best. A bloodline is only as good as the next cross. Proper selection and a little luck will produce another good generation. A top notche bloodline in the wrong hands will produce more of the junk that exists out there today. Dogs without hunt, lack of control, etc.....

Will this be the year everyone takes the kennel blinders off, look at the hounds regarless of bloodline and make the proper selections?

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

mybeagles wrote:I would hate to paint myself in a corner and declare one bloodline the best. A bloodline is only as good as the next cross. Proper selection and a little luck will produce another good generation. A top notche bloodline in the wrong hands will produce more of the junk that exists out there today. Dogs without hunt, lack of control, etc.....

Will this be the year everyone takes the kennel blinders off, look at the hounds regarless of bloodline and make the proper selections?

Mybeagles
Ok what's your favorite hound and what's the bloodline ?
TheJohnBirchSociety

BullRooster

Post by BullRooster »

First thing first. I have tried Turbo breed hounds time and time again and with my experience I would not own another one. All the hounds that I have owned that has been Turbo breed has been cull's in my book. They are fast but rough, over running fools. They did have good hunt but the hunt wide and fast like a bird dog. They cover alot of ground but not very thorough. Same with the other Branko bred hounds. I have given these bloodlines plenty of time to show me they are what I consider gundogs but they never have. As for me I will never pay a dime for another hound pup bred this way. To assume that I have only tried one hound bred one way, and say that blood line is junk is not accurate at all. Personally I believe in culling hard. I really wish more of us gun hunters would do this.

Who here still breeds Gay bred hounds? I might be interested in trying this line. I have never owned a Gay bred hound.

bmgreen91

Post by bmgreen91 »

I am personally a fan of Bachman's tuffer than urs. I have saw the dog run and cant say anthing thing bad about him.
Brian Green

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Best I ever saw was a grade dog with unknown pedigree. I believe it had some Gay breeding does that make it the Gay bloodline if one of the dogs in the pedigree had Gay in his name. Can someone define bloodline.. Does a dog have to be linebred or inbred to be a member of a bloodline or just have same kennel name? How many outcrosses until its my bloodline....lol

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BullRooster

Post by BullRooster »

Mybeagles I think we all know that just because a dog has one dog in his pedigree doesn't make him that bloodline. We are getting off topic with this one. Thanks for the info from everyone who mentioned some bloodlines you think are the best gundogs. I am looking forward to trying some of this blood. Thanks for nothing to the guys that have nothing to say other then smart a$$ comments. Thanks again guys

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

BullRooster, I still breed the Gay bloodline, but I don't breed very often. I bred three females this year and had ninteen pups all born within two weeks of each other in August. All that I had for sale were spoken for but two males and they were sold very quickly. last time I bred was about four years ago and it will probably be four more years before I breed again. Like you I have absolutely no use for Branko hounds. But if I lived and hunted Hare in the Frozen swamps of Canada, Branko would be the first place I would look for hounds!

BG BEAGLER

Post by BG BEAGLER »

I still think the yellow river line is top notch I don't even pack a shotgun during rabbit seAson just a sling shot for the one that cletus and homer don't catch we got 87 last year and I just lost 3 rocks and they retrieve not bad for a bunch of yorkies crossed with beagles
Matt Marple

WFO Kennels