Best all around Gundog bloodline

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

littlewoody

Re: Best all around Gundog bloodline

Post by littlewoody »

BullRooster wrote:Mybeagles I think we all know that just because a dog has one dog in his pedigree doesn't make him that bloodline. We are getting off topic with this one. Thanks for the info from everyone who mentioned some bloodlines you think are the best gundogs. I am looking forward to trying some of this blood. Thanks for nothing to the guys that have nothing to say other then smart a$$ comments. Thanks again guys
+1
TheJohnBirchSociety

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

I used to run the guts out of dogs with Elliot Peters we would gun hunt all day then go back at night fall and run more dogs from dark to the next day it was funny when I'd buy a new dog from someone they would end up finding a warm spot in the barn on the property we night ran and curl up for the rest of night the first time out with us the stuff I liked about Dexter's breeding he had was the consistancy in the dogs they started very easy as puppies ands started contributing to the pack and checking very quickly after starting Elliot did have a few stand out play makers so to speak but most of the other dogs were just very complete hounds level headed under pressure good hunters and jump dogs and worked a very nice check area his dusty dog is among my top 5 favorites. I have ever trialed and hunted with..
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

paducahky1

Post by paducahky1 »

HANDS DOWN ! BRAMMLET IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER RAN OR HUNTED WITH,, OEN WOODS OR BRIARS AND WILD ROSES , THEY WILL FLAT OUT RUN ..
never met a horse that couldnt be rode or a man that couldnt be throwd

mjohnson

Post by mjohnson »

My vote goes to the DFJ line. Hardest hunting/ jump dog bloodline. Big noses that can run the fur off a rabbit.

- Mike

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I like Indian Hills dogs that have a cross or two of Ace in the Hole a few generations back.A few are a little rough on the line,want the front.They hunt hard, start easy,arn't prone to trash bad and have a run to catch style thats hard to beat.If you can get 3 or 4 with gears you'll have some meat dogs.I haven't tried any yet but I'm gona check out some of Dexters dogs myself.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

Indian hill, Townline, Patch, Said with a lot of years of running, JUST MY THINKING. GOD BLESS

Seth Shipman

Post by Seth Shipman »

I like the Indian Hills, Dingus, and Gay blood lines. They are excellent gun dogs.

MPankratz

Post by MPankratz »

When I was in highschool, a guy down the road had a beagle he let run. He didn't have any sense of property boundaries of course, so there was a time I was out hunting and he sort of came with. He wouldn't come to me, but he'd work along with me a bit, and I shot a rabbit with his help. I dunno if he was gun shy, but after I'd shot the rabbit, he was gone. Anyway, he was truly impressive. Super fast, his nose hardly came off the ground, and he didn't seem to lose the trail for even a second.

Unfortunately he lost a leg, worse a front leg, a year or two later. I assume it was in a trap, but I'm the only person I know of that was trapping anywhere close to where he roamed, and that was all water trapping, definitely no dogs.

I'd love to have a dog like that. Fingers crossed, though, hopefully my pup will turn out like him.

tdog

Post by tdog »

I like the Jigs stuff.. Very tough and all around solid hounds.. Hunt desire and brains.. I can always count on our old jigs dog to find a rabbit..

tdog

Post by tdog »

I like the Jigs stuff.. Very tough and all around solid hounds.. Hunt desire and brains.. I can always count on our old jigs dog to find a rabbit..

paducahky1

Post by paducahky1 »

pilotknob wrote:I like Indian Hills dogs that have a cross or two of Ace in the Hole a few generations back.A few are a little rough on the line,want the front.They hunt hard, start easy,arn't prone to trash bad and have a run to catch style thats hard to beat.If you can get 3 or 4 with gears you'll have some meat dogs.I haven't tried any yet but I'm gona check out some of Dexters dogs myself.

i did cross my brammlet male with a indian hills female and they are dooing a heck of a job,
never met a horse that couldnt be rode or a man that couldnt be throwd

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

One of my favorite dogs to hunt over. Inabnitt's Briar Bashn Buster. This dog is truly a gun dog and he can tie to a rabbit all day. I am a big fan of his sire and what he has produced in the past. I've seen a lot of nice dogs out of Hitman. Buster is one of the nicest looking males I've ever seen. I have a bitch off him, her mother is bred Turbo on bottom.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

I like the choptalk little cooter(post oak otis) blood. I have a gyp directly out of him and I olso have a grandson of his. Both have post oak little nip otis(in-line black jack) twice within three generations. They are medium speed hounds that dont overun a track very often. Head down chop mouth,little hounds that grub right through the thickets. I know alot of you all like em with a little more foot. I used to run dogs out of turbo by prop,some sundown black bow, andersons t five rocket,ace in the hole. Now i will admit those lines may produce a touch more hunt and speed. But when I got my first of this bloodline I sold all the others. It seemed to me the ones i had just didnt have the line control and the abillity to stay on a rabbit as well. Thanks
Bryan

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

if i was looking for a bloodline just to put meat on the table with
the first thing id look for is a real hard hunting line
because it aint real hard for a beagle to circle a rabbit no matter their style
weither its slow or fast ruff skirty or swingy or weither its true on the line
either style can usally circle ya a rabbit if scenting is fair
so yea id look for hard hunt cause ya cant circle them if ya cant jump em
by saying that id probally go with northway or the kingwoods t rex or haunted hill shaker blood
seen a ton of hunt out of those three bloodlines

BullRooster

Post by BullRooster »

I have tried 3 different hounds with T-Rex on their top side. It didn't impress me at all. Not saying they are all bad but the ones I owned wasn't worth the food I feed them so they didn't make the cut.