Best all around Gundog bloodline

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BullRooster

Best all around Gundog bloodline

Post by BullRooster »

I seen the bloodline post and wanted everyones opinion here too. What is the best blooline you would want in your kennel if there were no field trials? Just a hound that can jump alot of rabbits and run it right to put meat on the table.

east80kennels

Re: Best all around Gundog bloodline

Post by east80kennels »

i have several, branko, jedi, greenbay shooter, 3 jay's jack, shaker, primetime, reggie, bluebarry, weedeater, turbo, just to name a few they all have there on purposes, and do certian things to get the job done but over all when its time to get the bunnies out of the bushes, they git r done lol the main thing is you have to establish a good pack of hounds, they have to have chemistry just like a satrting 5 in basketball without it you'll have nothing every hound knows its role in what he/she specilizes in wheather its jumping, check work, line control, ect

BullRooster

Post by BullRooster »

As far as my pack goes they all better be able to jump a rabbit, run the rabbit, and pick up checks. If I had to depend on one dog jumping the rabbits, another dog running the rabbit, and then another hound to pick up a check when the rabbit is lost, then I would cull my entire pack and start over. I am looking for a bloodline that can do it all and is smooth at it. NO rough running running swinging hounds.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Buzzsaw. Hands down. No nonsense, in the brush while the other hounds are hiking still.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I like the Tadpole and Gunsmoke line of dogs. Seen several dogs out there that can jump tons of rabbits. If your talking about gun dogs then that's my vote.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

I'm with Casey on this. I love Gunsmoke (Tadpole). I own a few of them. They are an all around nice dog. They all do excellent jobs solo and tons of fun to hunt with. kind disposition , easy to handle , retrieves rabbits.
April D
Grantville, PA

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

all my hounds can do everything nessary in the field, as far as jumping the rabbit, geting the checks and working the line, but all i'm saying is dogs all have specialties that they are good at, better things than others. for example dog 1 may be a better jumpdog than dog 2, dog 2 may be better in the check areas than dog 1 thats what i was geting at. not saying i have 1 special hound for check work, line contol jumping ect.... they can all get the job done in everything in the field as far as that goes.but the bloodline i prefer is branko, jedi, primetime, reggie these all provide plenty of hunt brains, power stamina.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Glomski sLittle Skipper has FC Lizard Creek Tadpole it his pedigree and Gunsmoke Blackjack and Gunsmoke Ellymay ,Skipper is the sire to my female that had a litter of 6 and I have 4 male still the mother isa all around rabbit dog loves the brush and runs the line and just keeps the rabbit moving at a good speed
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

They call him "DADDY RABBIT". I've tried many bloodlines, and a couple i have not that i want to, but i went to them last year, purchased 4, and am very pleased. Medium fast speed with intent to catch and overtake their game and they work as a team. They dont bang, cut, and skirt each other. For the money, ..... hands down the winner in my book. I've had most success with Branko bloodlines before, but to buy what i have now in Branko, i'd have to take a loan out of the Banko.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

If u can deal with a little extra mouth than greenbay hounds are what seems the most consistant
Most are little an med speed but run the pee out of rabbits

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Second the Green Bay hounds. Huge noses lead to early mouth, but they hunt well and can run a rabbit as well as any I have ever seen and better than most. No excuses just good little hounds.

I also like hounds heavy in Indian Hill's Majer and Dingus lines. Good hunt, honest mouth and decent track skills.

Both these lines could put a ton of rabbits in the freezer. Just my opinions.

hcaplinger

Post by hcaplinger »

i would say that any bloodline of rabbit dogs out there could put a ton of rabbits in the freezer.if they are bred to run rabbits then they should bring them to the gun.i think that this question is really just a matter of preference,what area of the country you run in will result in different opinons.
Caplingers Brush Bustin Kennels home of:
caplingers machine gun minnie
caplingers fat daddy
caplingers blue bailey
caplingers big city cash

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I know you are asking about bloodlines, but the second best dog I've ever seen in my life was a GRADE dog. She never missed a lick. If the rabbit turned right, she turned right; if he turned left, she turned left; there was no searching around at the turns to see which way the rabbit went. She had no break-downs and no loses, always brought the rabbit back to the gun, unless it holed or unusual circumstances. The guy who owned her didn't know what he had. He got her off of an amish guy, and ran her EVERY evening. Whatever line suits you, it takes experience, experience, experience. I like the Dingus line. The best dog I ever saw in my life was a Boldstroke dog.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

BullRooster

Post by BullRooster »

Thanks for the input guys. I am strictly a gun hunter and I am wanting to get something that I love to hunt with. I recently had a 4 dog pack the last couple years. All the aggrevation of over running track, skirting around the thick stuff, barking and not producing rabbits, and cheating to get in the front has made me cull my entire pack but one hound. I do not put up with stupidity in hounds after I give them a fair chance. The only hound I have left is a Reffetts bred hound with a little Branko. In my opinion the only one worth keeping so I made the decision to keep him and cull the rest. The other hounds were Turbo, Branko (which is where Turbo comes from), and Ace in the Hole breed. I am looking to try some different blood other then Northway just to see for myself. Thanks for the info guys. This gives me some new bloodlines to try out.

Sbadger,
Where does the Gunsmoke line of hounds come from you mentioned? I am guessing its not the old Bluetick Gunsmoke line. I have tried the old line and have been dissappionted in them. To be honest with you I believe they have been line breed to death and its doing nothing now other then creating below average hounds. If they would outcross those hounds I think they would have better results.

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

BullRooster- You and I seem to like the same thing in a hound. I too have tried many different bloodlines that are all the rage just to be disappointed in the ability and brains. I have been most happy with my dogs directly out of Buzzsaw and for that reason I have decided to stay with the Buzzsaw dogs and Reffet's line. I am going to try and keep a few dogs so I can breed my own because I seem to get what I like more often from my own hounds. Everyone has a preference and it is easier once you find a few special hounds to keep them and breed your own in my opinion. But as I said I have not found many better all around gundogs than what ole Buzzsaw poduced.
Also I have heard alot about the Gunsmoke line some have mentioned but have never tried it. I do believe this is a different line than the old bluetick gunsmoke line. I have seen and tried dogs from the blutick line and most now are so line bred that they have major physical flaws such as overbites, underbites, and crooked legs.