Shed Hunting Dogs (Antler Hunting dogs)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mo. Beagler 5000

Re: Shed Hunting Dogs (Antler Hunting dogs)

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

How much does a shed go for.. Lets say a 10pt buck rack grossing 140?

I wonder if youcould make your money back
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

Labs can easily be trained to hunt sheds. One of our males we own has a brother that was trained as a shed hunter. We also have pups that we have sold that the new owners are training them to hunt sheds. There are lots of training videos you can purchase and even some on youtube. If you dont have alot of money to put into a dog I would recommend buying a puppy and training it yourself. The finished labs reguardless of what they are trained to do are not cheap! Check out our kennel page on Facebook. Just do a search for Crane Creek Kennels.
Crane Creek Kennels

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Most antlers are sold by weight. But I know there is an antler auction out west someplace that is held by a Boy Scout troop. They make a killing on the auction. A 140 ten wouldnt be worth anything but weight. Now if you have a matching set from a 200" nontyp you would be talking about a better payday.

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

I also trian labs,from time to time,it is not that hard you just have to put the time in him,just like a young beagle.All the steps are the same,force fetch is the hardest.All you have to do is get a video on them and instead of useing birds use antlers.Labs are borning to retrevie and use there noise that why u see them as bomb dogs,drug dogs,hunting dogs just about every thing.I agree with Aaron Bartlett 100% but i do not have a kennel but i do breed labs every couple of years and i have real good feed back on my dogs.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Labs are used most for it here in Maine, i know a few guys that do it. the primary use for the shed dog around here is moose antlers. we have a lot of moose and the antlers weigh a lot. depending on year but i think antlers sell for around $7 per pound.