Finally Trapped a Rabbit!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

MPankratz

Finally Trapped a Rabbit!

Post by MPankratz »

Well, went out at 11:45 to take the dogs out before going to bed, and walked back to check the trap I've been trying to get a rabbit in for almost 2 weeks. I've been seeing tons of rabbits in my yard and in the briars behind that, but nothing in my trap. First I thought it was maybe the trigger, it seemed too tight. So I adjusted that and moved it up by the house, where I had been seeing two rabbits every night when I got home around 2-3am. Nothing.

Thursday I caught a squirrel, so I let him go and when he got far enough away I tried shooting him with my dads old .22 single shot. I missed, which is no surprise, I'm more of a shotgun guy and a bolt action single shot (with no magazine of any sort as well) really means you gotta hit that first shot or have really stupid prey! Anyway, so I walked out back to see if maybe I had just wounded him, but no sign of blood. I stopped to kick my brush pile, which I've been doing here and there for a few weeks now, and bam, out goes a bunny! I drew up to fire, but by the time I had him in my sights he was a bit outside my property. I did go and get my trap though, and set it back there. I threw a handful of carrots in it, and made a trail of carrot bites leading inside.

Tonight it was snowing so I walked the dogs out there, thinking maybe the snow would encourage the bunnies to find "warm" brush piles. Sure enough, I finally got one.

I took Daisy, who already knows what rabbits are back inside before she saw it, and then took Blue back out to see it. He's definitely interested, but he wasn't freaking out over it, so I went inside and got Daisy so he could see how excited that would make her.

I figured I didn't need to leash her, because she was obviously going to see the rabbit sitting in the yard (in the cage, anyway).

Nope, she's retarded. She ran right up to Blue, who was sitting next to the trap, trying to dig under it, jumped around with him for a few seconds, then took off into the brush out back.

I want to kill her, literally. Most days I would be completely fine with her running and chasing rabbits. She ran right past one that couldn't go anywhere, and she didn't eve notice it!!!!! Now she's out back, chasing rabbits howling like crazy, and won't come when I call her because her e-collar died.

And my wife said that the dog I already had was just fine. Ran right past a caged rabbit. That's disgusting.

MPankratz

Re: Finally Trapped a Rabbit!

Post by MPankratz »

Well, I got her back. I ended up walking back into the briars until it started being more scrubby little tree clumps (I'm not sure what they are, they grow everywhere, in clumps usually, and really thick, with really brittle branches and at their tallest, maybe 10, 15 feet, most not more than penny in diameter) than briars, sat the trapped rabbit down, and started calling. It took her 20 minutes before she came around direction, and this time she noticed the rabbit right away.

Now I can go to bed!