What you all worm with and how often?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

matt c

What you all worm with and how often?

Post by matt c »

I was running with an older the guy the other day and I asked him about what he worms with and how often. He told me he only worms unless he sees worms or there is a problem. Myself I worm in summer months I use Ivomec every month and year round I use pyrantel pamoate every other month for worms. Just curious to see what you all do for a worming schedule and what you use?

20guage92

Re: What you all worm with and how often?

Post by 20guage92 »

mat i use panecear. it works well 2 times a year.spring and fall.

scottmi

Post by scottmi »

zimectrin gold once a month

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

Equimax once a month after 6 months old
Jamey

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

i do ivomec in the summer but then I stop using it about september. I dont worm dogs unless I see worms. if I do then i hit them with the wormer pills that I get from chip. PPO wormer

mine get tape worms if they eat rabbits.

http://www.eisenhutdogsupplies.com/medicine.htm
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

Ivermec for heart worms in the summer months and I use Safe-Guard goat wormer if I see worms. Dog dosage of the goat wormer is 1ml for every 5lbs of body weight. Ex. 25lb. dog gets 5ml of wormer, 3 days in a row. This will treat for hook, round, tape, and whip worms
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

was talking to ol coon hunter he uses plug tobacco for worms
anyone else do this
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

foxxy,
I used to know an older fellow (dead now) that said he saved some tobacco leaves every year when he stripped his tobacco to worm his dogs with but I didn't put much into it so there may have been something to it.

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

panacure, the ivomac is very hard on a dogs liver over time so if u love your dog i would not recomend using it. if u have tape worms get tape worm pills.

hookset

Post by hookset »

east80kennels wrote:the ivomac is very hard on a dogs liver over time so if u love your dog i would not recomend using it.
Who said it's hard on a dogs liver? I've heard it said before, just wondering where the proof of that is. My vet says give them 1 cc/month year round. I've been doing it for over 20 years and haven't had any dog of any size show negative side effects. The active ingredient in Heartguard is ivomectin and any vet will prescribe it to any dog for monthly use.

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

had several vets that i know as friends not just as a customer, tell me this and i trust there judgements second to none. just a matter of opinion, just saying every man is entitled to his opinion.

hookset

Post by hookset »

east80kennels wrote:just saying every man is entitled to his opinion.
Absolutely agree.

I was just wondering if there was any proof or examples of a dog having liver problems from it. I've never seen it or had anyone I know have a problem with it. I had a vet tell me one time that Ivomectin would kill a dog, then prescribed me heartguard. When I got home, U looked at the pachage and saw that the main ingredient was Ivomectin. Most vets I know prescribe Ivomec every month.

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

i agree they sure do but like i said b4 had several vets tell me this and i pretty confident in them they have never stired me wrong yet on anything animal related.. i'll stick with the ol panacure threw and threw nothing else will ever be in these ol kennels..but as far as concrete proof, i could not give u any on a graph or any stitisitics on the matter.

hookset

Post by hookset »

What do you use as a heartworm preventative or treatment?

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

east80kennels wrote:panacure, the ivomac is very hard on a dogs liver over time so if u love your dog i would not recomend using it. if u have tape worms get tape worm pills.

Not trying to argue but I disagree. We've used ivomec for years on all our dogs and our hounds live to their natural life expectancy with no complications. Ivomec is better than heart worms and ticks both of wich can kill a dog.

1cc is more than enough for the little dogs. I use 1cc on my big dogs every 45 days or so from May to Sep. Safeguard horse wormer monthly the rest of the year. Safeguards a real good wormer and all the houndsmen in our area use it.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.