shock collar training!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bodetis

shock collar training!

Post by bodetis »

i have a collar but have only used on dogs already broke, took my 8 month out today, just got him back from running pen, but this is first time breaking my own to a collar, basically i just wanted him to come when hollared at, if he went other direction or wouldnt come i hit him low and he finially started coming, probaly took about 8 hits, my question is am i training right, is it to much or not enough, he looked more puzzled to it than scared lol but he was running good at the pen dont want to mess him up thanks!

allniter

Re: shock collar training!

Post by allniter »

use a 100 ft. check cord --you will have control and reel him in and pet and REWARD Him --never give a command that you can't rein force it :nod: :nod:
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

Thats fine just allway reward him when gets to you,carry a small bag of treats in your pocket.Give him a tone call his name and give him a small buzz and reward him when he get to you.He will learn but always do it the same way be constant.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

CAP

Post by CAP »

allniter wrote:use a 100 ft. check cord --you will have control and reel him in and pet and REWARD Him --never give a command that you can't rein force it :nod: :nod:
I agree and use this method. Their attention span isn't very long, so I only work with them 15 minutes once or twice a day. The first week I only have them were the collar but it is not active. Teaching them to "come" should be done 1st just with the voice command. Once they show they understand the voice command I begin to use use the tone at the same time as calling them to come. They will associate the two very quickly and you will have to use the electricity infrequently as a reminder.
Carl Post
BeaglePedigree.com
Access to 80,000+ hounds and growing, all available for $12 a year.

Knobstone Kennels

Post by Knobstone Kennels »

Good even. One thing I am good at is training dogs. I would like To help
Start with a 10 foot rope. Walk your dog around and let him play a little then call him over to you
Now when you call him you must have your collar settin on low momentary. Ok so hold the button in calling his name while pulling the dogs rope until he reaches you. Then release the button and praise your dog. Continue doing this a couple times that night. Repeat it the next 2 nights just about 10 - 15 mins each night. Then give you dog about 25 feet of lead and repeat the step. Remember you holding the button down while pulling the dogs rope back to you. Repeat this for 10-15 mins. The next night with the long lead relaxed just call your dog. He will come
You might have to press the button the 1st time but you are building repetition. With short attention spans it takes about 4 to 5 days to complete this buy
You will have it whipped in no time. The same goes for tones. All my dogs run on tones. Let me know if you need more help I will be happy to help. Adam
Adam
Knobstone Kennels

warmule

Post by warmule »

instead of a buzz or tone blow a whisle that way he will come to you when he dont have a collar on blow the whisle then call then bump lightly just enough to get his attention but make sure you can see him when training this way you dont want to bump him if hes started to you or smelling a rabbit like was said in other post give him a treat and make over him like he done the greatest thing in the world
John 3:16

allniter

Post by allniter »

handling is all done in the YARD to start with--- just you and the DOG --after dog knows some --change up training area-- :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: -before you go to the field --sat--heel---come --down --one command at a time until they know the command
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM