young dog hurt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

porkchop

young dog hurt

Post by porkchop »

i went hunting today, just let the dogs out of the dog box and my young tri color bitch started to open. the chase was on. she and the other three dogs were running real good and headed the other way so i decided to slip into the timber and cut the cottentail off. finally after 5 minutes or so the hounds turned back towards me, so i held still and am getting ready to shoot when i see the bunny slip by me.anyway, here comes the hounds hot on mr bunnies trail when the dogs come to a fence,my young year old bitch leading the way. she goes to cross the fence and goes straight up the fence and pulls herself over when all of a sudden i here a yelp. i look over to see her hanging by her back leg. she managed to get caught on the top strand of barbwire. whan i finally freed her she gashed open the inside of her leg about 4 inches long. the hunt was over for that day. i took her to the vet and he sowed her up and she is doing just fine but really sore. she was just now starting to show some potential. do you fellow beaglers think this will set her back?

WSRandy

Post by WSRandy »

I dont think it will set her back other than healing time. Sounds like your hound has the number 1 thing a hound must have, in my opinion......desire to hunt! Once she is healed, the desire will still be there. I would almost bet she would have kept running that rabbit hurt had you not stopped her.....was she done once she got hurt or was she still wanting the rabbit? Good luck with her healing up process.

Randy

porkchop

Post by porkchop »

randy, she was hanging from the fence while i was getting her undone, so i took her to the vet right away. she was trying to jump out of my arms on the way back though. hope she gets a little smarter about going over fences