U.P. Hare hunt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hard Driving Kennel

Re: U.P. Hare hunt

Post by Hard Driving Kennel »

Jim Stinnett couldn't have said it any better

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

Steve Mikkelson wrote:No problem in my book. Let the boys shoot'em up.

You may as well put me on the list of I can believe they are killing rabbits.

When I take my son rabbit hunting, he will:

1. Hunt within the law.

2. Have an endless supply of shells.

3. Stop shooting rabbits only when he feels like it or he hit the bag limit ... day after day.

4. Shoot white hare on bare ground or black hare on the snow. Shoot them sitting, hopping, running, flying, skipping or sleeping

5. Do it again next year if he so chooses.

6. He will decide when it's not sporting as it's within the law.

Who wants to take the fun away from a child if they are conforming to the law?
My guess is the selfish people that don't want to see their fun limited at the expense of a child.

Are we calling these people adults?
Maybe, but with what respect...

:cool: very well said steve, these guys that are crying probly can't shoot or there dogs are not good enough to run them in a circle to shoot them....when a idiot is running down a young kid for shooting a rabbit, he is not much of a man.

jimd

Post by jimd »

Rob and James 8x10 of the boys first harehunt PRICELESS :D

smokedawg

Post by smokedawg »

Sometimes when I look on here and see all the negative comments thrown out there at folks for shooting the hare or rabbits, I wonder if this is some kind of a darn peta board or animal rights activist page. When you take young folks out and get them interested in rabbit hunting with dogs, the quickest way to get them to open up to the sport is to let them shoot at the rabbit. Young folks like action, plain and simple. Get em hooked now and sooner or later they will also enjoy the dog work part of it. I run a lot of times now by myself and most times never pop a shell, but when a landowner lets me come hunt and he wants to hunt with us and eat the rabbits, we take our limit. If I bring a kid that has never been, I let him shoot at them all he wants. They usually dont hit many if any. When I was a kid my old man took me along and let me shoot all I wanted to if the dogs were running the rabbit. Man, i never seen such b.s. In my opinion, that is a major problem with some of the dogs I see run today, nobody ever shoots over them. Their is more to being a gundog than circling a rabbit in a pen.

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

It looks like you guys had a good time should be a trip those boys will remember!!! Wish I coulda tagged along!!
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Likemfast you like to make alot of comments everywhere but never put your name or number on anything nor do you have any common sense from what i have seen, i may not have much either but at least i know when to congratulate and when to stay off someones topic!!! Quit hiding and being a keyboard beagler!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

My boys are 10 and 11 and want to kill their first hares. I have told them we will wait till the snow falls. I don't think its a matter of ethics, just the way I'm teaching them. Some of you were taught killing white hare on bare ground is the best time to hunt. Who's to say.....

I HOPE as parents we are ALL trying to teach our kids to the best of our abilities. Above teaching them about hunting ethics, I teach them not to worry about what others are doing. Take personal responsibility for your own actions and be willing to stand up for what you have learned to be right.

Its not anyones business to worry about how and when someone harvests rabbits, but if your that sensitive about someone commenting on your thread dont post it on a public forum. When you post you subject yourself to all opinions. Just as you have the right to legally harvest white hare on bare ground, others have the right to post their objections.

Perhaps taking them hunting again in a couple weeks with snow will offer them a different experience. If Al Gore is correct maybe the day is coming when we wont get anymore snow :lol:

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Hard Driving Kennel

Not sensitive here. I just commented back to some of the comments that were made that's all. The comment I made to likeemfast was made before he edited his post, and Mybeagles I would like to thank you for your military service

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

Mybeagles I always enjoy your post and respect you even more. We do not plan our hunts around snow. We plan them around our availability. I do not need too, but will say these hare were all cleaned.
As far as the comment about sporting to kill white hare on bare ground how sporting is it to kill white hare on snow. They run alot faster on bare ground but either way with good dogs snow or not it has never been much of a challenge.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

JBrock

Post by JBrock »

nice hunt fellow's!!! my son used to tag along with me to run dog's and didn't like it much !!! after he took his hunters safety test
and was old enough in my oppinion that is I let him carry a gun with me by his side after he killed his first rbbit he was hooked!!!
that has been 3 years ago he is now 15 and loves to go hunting and is getting more into handling the dogs and the dog work!!!
kid's are just like pup's we have to make it fun and do whatever we can to keep them interested!!!! I say prop's to you guy's for taking your son's and sharing this with them!!!! take a kid hunting and later on you won't have to hunt for them!!!
just my two cent's!!! :lol:
frogpond beagles

tiny timber

Post by tiny timber »

We all have to remember how most of us started. Hunting. Not running dogs. I know these guys well. Ethics is not a problem. The problem is a guys wants to showw off his kid a little and instead of being able to say son come look at all these congradulating you he has to just let it go. Gotta get the young ones hoked. I still want to knows who's bluetick.
LPGRBCH/LPRCH BARTON'S GEORGIA PEACH
LPBCH/LPRCH PATTON'S LIL ANGEL
LPBCH/LPRCH PATON'S TINY TIMBER LUKE'S DUKE
LPBCH/LPRCH THUNDERVIEW ZOE

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

hard driving what a great hunt ! HOPE TO SEE MORE PICTURES LIKE THAT AND SOON ! as for shooting white hares on bare ground, i always found it to be harder. here in the adirondacks when there white with no snow they go out and don't come back. that ever happen were you guys hunt?

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

According to the garmin we had one hare go 3/4 of a mile across a swamp thought we were going to have to drive around to cut him off luckily he made his way back. Had the young pack go 900 yards 3 times on the same rabbit well we did not get this one but saw him numerous times. Watching the garmin he really never deviated from his oringnal track.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

Hard Driving Kennel

jimd wrote:Rob and James 8x10 of the boys first harehunt PRICELESS :D
Jimmy I am like just about everyone else. To me it is all about the kids and the dogs. I like watching everyone's else's videos and thought I would try my luck so I went out and bought a video camera. I followed the boy around all weekend taping and taking pictures. They will be able to look back at the tapes for the rest of there life of there first hare hunt. I am going to try and make a video of the beagles and a separate one of the coyote dogs. Unfortunately it is harder than it looks to get some good footage of the dogs in action