Solo, The Amazing Cure

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Budd

Re: Solo, The Amazing Cure

Post by Budd »

klrconcrete wrote:Running the same pack of dogs day in and day out doesnt tell me all that much honestly, the dogs conform or "slot up" if you will and what I have seen personally is the same dogs jump, the same dogs lead on the drive, the same dogs pick the checks, etc. My never answered question is the dog that gets 99 % of the checks but 1% of the jumps or vice versa is that really all that capable on its own? What you seem to end up with is having to have an entire pack to run which is what I stated before. If you have a dog that was to be studded out and the person breeding to it wanted to see it run on its own but it really couldnt what would you do in that case?
KL, If your one never answered ? is what all capabilities a dog has when ran alone, then solo it. That's your preference and that's great!!! I like running a pack and hopefully always will, I'm not wrong for preferring that and you are not wrong for running what and how you do. I have as of yet to stud a hound out, or sale a bunch of pups, I'm in this for MY enjoyment, I don't need to prove my hounds to anyone but myself.
I'm happy for you running the way you like and if it's working for ya, who am I to tell you how to run and prove your hounds. I say keep doing what your doing and start getting some of it on film so you can share with the rest of us ;).

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

klrconcrete wrote:Running the same pack of dogs day in and day out doesnt tell me all that much honestly, the dogs conform or "slot up" if you will and what I have seen personally is the same dogs jump, the same dogs lead on the drive, the same dogs pick the checks, etc. My never answered question is the dog that gets 99 % of the checks but 1% of the jumps or vice versa is that really all that capable on its own? What you seem to end up with is having to have an entire pack to run which is what I stated before. If you have a dog that was to be studded out and the person breeding to it wanted to see it run on its own but it really couldnt what would you do in that case?
If one dog is getting 99% of the checks but only 1% of the jumps......that is telling you something.
How much more do you need to know or see??

I've never heard of anyone running a pack because they HAVE to..... seems to me they do it like that because that's how they enjoy hunting their hounds.
I would assume it's the same for the guys that prefer to solo....doing that way because thats how they like it.

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

Budd, stick with your program it works for you and anyone else that is pack minded- if it aint broke dont fix it. Im not wrong in wanting to be able have a dog that can and will do it on its own with nothing to hide behind! I love the clips you post and have tried more than once to get the same results and what I end up with is short shots of the dogs and lots of brush on film with nothing more than audio. I have came to the conclusion that I must have to stand next to the truck on plowed roads,in what I consider very marginal hare cover at the best and run a large quantity of dogs to get decent film! All that doesnt work for me I am usually in the brush with a gun trying to kill a hare for the dog or two that I am running if the quality of the run warrants that reward. It usually does.
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

You dont ever solo so how do you know you dont have to run a pack? Thats an easy question which seems to have an elusive answer.
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

Budd

Post by Budd »

klrconcrete wrote: I have came to the conclusion that I must have to stand next to the truck on plowed roads,in what I consider very marginal hare cover at the best and run a large quantity of dogs to get decent film! All that doesnt work for me I am usually in the brush with a gun trying to kill a hare for the dog or two that I am running if the quality of the run warrants that reward. It usually does.
Thanks Kurt, I enjoyed the little jab buddy. You the man!!!!
klrconcrete wrote:You don't ever solo so how do you know you don't have to run a pack? Thats an easy question which seems to have an elusive answer.
Let me see,I don't ever solo so how do I know I don't have to run a pack. Question don't make sense to me but.......... I COULD GIVE A crap LESS IF I COULD SOLO!!!! Would it make you feel better big guy if I went out and soloed a few of my hounds??? Well to bad, like I said I'm in this for me.....

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

lebro wrote:i dont think solo time is a cureall for the dogs. put them in together and let the cream rise to the top. it is alot easier to tell what a dog is capable of when soloing but not better. every dog in a good pack is not a good dog and figuring out the bad ones without soloing is the secret. i have never soloed the 5 i have now but can guarantee you they will jump and circle their own rabbit. i will run 2 or 3 at a time but there will never be a time when there is not another dog to compete with.

How can you GUARANTEE your dogs could jump and run a rabbit solo if you have never done it!! Thats like saying i have 5 lottery tickets and i GUARANTEE 1 of them is the winner!! "Its not a GUARANTEE until its done!! PERIOD!! Now that being said most dogs that are running can jump and run a rabbit solo but here is my question!! "How good can it run and solo a rabbit by itsself"???? I am willing to bet that a dog that has been soloed can run a better rabbit by its self that a dog that has never been soloed!! Reason is because that dog that has been soloed doesnt have to rely on others to help him or her out!!! Is solo the cure all?? HECK NO but it sure does help a dog account for its OWN game!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I remember when we was in High School, we would go over to the next town and "flirt" with the girls and get the other town boys all stirred up... :lol:
Then they would say, you started it and we would say no, you started it... :lol:

You get your own board of "like minded folks", but that gets boring, so ya gotta go visiting, of course we all have the "pack mentality", so when one shows up, just sit and watch for the rest of the gang to pop in... :lol:

An then, they accuse others of having post lacking substance and being argumentative.... :nod: :dance: :lol:

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

S.R.Patch wrote:I remember when we was in High School, we would go over to the next town and "flirt" with the girls and get the other town boys all stirred up... :lol:
Then they would say, you started it and we would say no, you started it... :lol:

You get your own board of "like minded folks", but that gets boring, so ya gotta go visiting, of course we all have the "pack mentality", so when one shows up, just sit and watch for the rest of the gang to pop in... :lol:

An then, they accuse others of having post lacking substance and being argumentative.... :nod: :dance: :lol:

Cabin fever just sat in a little early this year. :lol:

powerstroke85

Post by powerstroke85 »

We have competishions to better the breed trials bench shows ect i dont understand y any one would want to keep a hound that needs so much special attentioin either a dog has the heart and desire that you like or he doesent y waste your time and money on one paticular hound i turn one hound loose at the farm when im doing something here and there but y would you waste you money to drive one dog to the woods when you got more than one i say if he needs special treatment they dont get fead at my house

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Yeah, it's funny to watch how the ideas and methods change over the years, some years fewer hounds is better, some years a big pack is the only way to go,...some years it is sin to kill a white rabbit on sod, others years it's great to fill the tailgate.
One thing about the beagle fraternity, the only thing constant is change...or maybe it's just the overwhelming desire to argue... :lol:

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

S.R. Patch, Some things have changed and some haven't . What I don't think you realize is that you don't know anything anymore! You are past 20 something years old, ( some still know it all at 35 though) and have too much experience. You have no doubt studied hounds and have made a few breedings over the years, You have followed hounds for countless hours in all kind of conditions, and you have finally got to the point you don't know anything. I am sorry to tell you this, and it has happened to me also, and it will happen to all of us. If you want to learn anything at this point you need to listen to the twenty -something folks who own one maybe two hounds, if you can find one who has only owned hounds for a couple of years it will be a plus, and if you would be so fortunate as to find one who has made a breeding at some point you need to sit at his feet, be still, and learn.

JCM

Post by JCM »

I wonder why those that prefer to solo their dogs have never created a type of trial or hunt where they only run one dog at a time? There are competitions for brace, trio, four hounds, three couple, small pack, and large pack, but none for solo. If soloing was so important wouldn't you think that there would be some type of trial where they solo dogs?

Hhhhmmmm, maybe it is possible to evaluate hounds when more that one is running. Ya think! :bash:

Walls Kennel

Post by Walls Kennel »

JCM I like that

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

JCM wrote:I wonder why those that prefer to solo their dogs have never created a type of trial or hunt where they only run one dog at a time? There are competitions for brace, trio, four hounds, three couple, small pack, and large pack, but none for solo. If soloing was so important wouldn't you think that there would be some type of trial where they solo dogs?

Hhhhmmmm, maybe it is possible to evaluate hounds when more that one is running. Ya think! :bash:
The only instance I can think of this occurring is in progressive pack. They require a dog run solo for a certain amount of time, with minimal amounts of downtime running a rabbit and it gets shot over during the chase as well. Maybe some progressive pack guys can fill in the blanks for me as to the amount of time a dog must run to certify for champion status.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

Chad i think they circle the rabbit once but thats afte they have won 2 trials and have acculate 100 pts
arha pp and ukc pp has this rule of soloing a rabbit
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy