Cold Weather Specialties

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DIXIEDOG

Cold Weather Specialties

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I'm sure we've all got a few cold weather tricks to keep the dogs going strong without losing weight or getting sick. I make a couple changes

1) Beagle soup....every meal I fill their bowl of kibble with warm water to keep the dogs hydrated...they love it and it insures they get plenty of water.

2) Once the temps really drop they get a big biscuit covered with peanut butter for extra calories

What do you different?

Dillinger09

Re: Cold Weather Specialties

Post by Dillinger09 »

1.)I feed "slop" with hot water over kibble. what is just left-overs thrown in a big tub with oatmeal and chopped beef suet added.

2.) And then another serving of dry kibble because I think its essential to there dental health

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Tonight I chopped up a 3lb beef heart,... they'll take your fingers off it your not careful... :lol:
Last night the had beef tongue, that's the toughest stuff I ever tried to cut, dulled my filet knife. the skin would make good sole for moccasins... :nod:
Heat is made from fat.

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

looking for other threads i bumped into this one and will keep it going as we have just gotten ast 3 weeks of basicly never getting out of the negatives.

1. hot food as you do.
2. heated water bowls or fresh water twice a day.
3. i worm the dogs going into the winter so that they get there best bag for the food.
4. meat left overs, or like you peanutbutter.
5. when it gets below zero and dogs will alow it i double up dogs.
6. fresh dry straw bedding.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

X2
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Crow

Post by Crow »

S.R.Patch wrote:Tonight I chopped up a 3lb beef heart,... they'll take your fingers off it your not careful... :lol:
Last night the had beef tongue, that's the toughest stuff I ever tried to cut, dulled my filet knife. the skin would make good sole for moccasins... :nod:
Heat is made from fat.
Patch, the heart and tongue are not very fatty pieces of critter are they?

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Crow wrote:
S.R.Patch wrote:Tonight I chopped up a 3lb beef heart,... they'll take your fingers off it your not careful... :lol:
Heat is made from fat.
No but extra protein and it's usually parts most people don't eat anyway. I know an old farmer who would make pickled deer heart........you wanna talk about something GOOOD!! That stuff was awesome!! Just a little slice on a ritz cracker.......mmm, mmm good!! Had a buddy make tongue soup one time too and said it was pretty good but I've never had tongue.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

I like to heat up chicken and beef broth,make it like a hot soup.Also peanut butter treats.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Mine would feed there selfs if we had a bit more snow than I could cut back on the feed :lol:

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Mine are on self feeders, so they can eat more when needed.
Heated water pails so they have access to water 24 hrs/day, hydration is extremely important in cold weather.
Good insulated houses with doors to keep the heat in and the cold/wind out.

My kennels are also right up against the east side of my shop with a retaining wall to the north and east and a roof.
Pretty much out of the weather except when there are high winds and the snow drifts in the front half of the kennels because of the wind break.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

My hound stay in the house at night because where I live . They get spoiled by my wife .
TheJohnBirchSociety

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Crow wrote:
Heat is made from fat.
These were feeder beef, there was a good 1/2 pound fat round the lower lobe of the hearts. Gives a good understanding what the doc says about what you eat and a lack of exercise can do to your body.
Yes, the tongue was quite lean and tough to get at past the skin. Grandma used to boil or pressure cook, then trim it out for gravy but I wasn't about that for hounds.
Yes, they are organs we normally don't eat or ask for, but the hounds thought they were grand.

beagleman23

Post by beagleman23 »

this post makes me remember years ago when i used to give dogs gravy train and table scraps warm in the winter. i doubt anyone feeds it anymore these days,