Cool article.... Do dogs hunt better full or hungry?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mo. Beagler 5000

Cool article.... Do dogs hunt better full or hungry?

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

gwyoung

Re: Cool article.... Do dogs hunt better full or hungry?

Post by gwyoung »

Doesn't seem to be a very exhaustive study, but some food for thought in there. I always feed my hounds before loading them up to go, I like to feed them at least an hour prior. I feed them again at lunch time when I eat. I could never understand how my hounds could run better when ran out of fuel. And as far as their desire to catch their meal, I have owned very few that would do anything more than smell a dead rabbit before moving on to find the next one, ( I guess they just don't " Hate" the rabbit like some folks hounds do. I always thought my hounds ran the rabbit because they were bred to trail( pursue) and not because they hated the rabbit! It appears from the study that for optimal performance one would have to be feeding their hounds every thirty minutes.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

YOU CANT FEED A DOG DESIRE, THEY HAVE IT OR THEY DONT.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

lebro

Post by lebro »

:nod: :nod: :nod:
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

I feed my dogs the amount I feed them at the same time every day. It depends if I go hunting before or after when they get fed. Mine can run all day on the feed they got the evenig before.
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I had my dogs on alto feeders.they done good.It want the dogs that hunting good it was me.fill me up and I aunt worth a flip.

k5blazer

Post by k5blazer »

If I'm gonna hunt daylight till dark I will give them bout half of what they usually get bout hour befor I leave the house. Then If they pound all morning I will give them a little feed and water at halftime when I eat my lunch.now if I'm gonna just go run for two or three hours I just load them up and go
D&A KENNELS

lebro

Post by lebro »

i like for my dogs to get their energy from stored fat not food in their belly. they stay steady all day and dont have energy spikes, and in warm weather the food in their belly will make them overheat easier.feed them at night and the heat generated from digestion keeps them warm in the cold of night while they sleep.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Newt

Post by Newt »

I know marathon runners drink liquid during the race but do they eat as well?
According to Google, most of the elite marathon runners don’t eat solid food or carry food with them, but the elites typically just use liquids rather than solids.

Wild dogs, according to documentarys that I have seen, wait until huger drives them to search for food.
I suspect a dog with a full stomach would be sluggish or would be heaving in a few minutes after running hard.

Did you ever try to run with a full stomach?

Mo. Beagler 5000

likeemfast wrote:YOU CANT FEED A DOG DESIRE, THEY HAVE IT OR THEY DONT.

Thats not the point of the article....or the post. It is seeing if the "desire" is enhanced with or without food....

I think giving a dog some electrolytes and maybe a bit of peanut butter before a long days hunt may not be abad idea.. It was just a cool article I found interesting..

Mo. Beagler 5000

Newt wrote:I know marathon runners drink liquid during the race but do they eat as well?
According to Google, most of the elite marathon runners don’t eat solid food or carry food with them, but the elites typically just use liquids rather than solids.

Wild dogs, according to documentarys that I have seen, wait until huger drives them to search for food.
I suspect a dog with a full stomach would be sluggish or would be heaving in a few minutes after running hard.

Did you ever try to run with a full stomach?
I don't know, no matter what my dogs poop their ever loving brains out before a hunt and two of them try to make themselves puke I think... Probably for the hound chasing game a full stomache would not be the best but its cool maybe one day we could find out.

mcardery2k

Post by mcardery2k »

I know if I go all day and don't eat I sure lose my desire. I am thinking all day long where is the best place to get a couple hot dogs?
Mark~
Mark Carder
skyviewsbeagles.com

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
likeemfast wrote:YOU CANT FEED A DOG DESIRE, THEY HAVE IT OR THEY DONT.

Thats not the point of the article....or the post. It is seeing if the "desire" is enhanced with or without food....

I think giving a dog some electrolytes and maybe a bit of peanut butter before a long days hunt may not be abad idea.. It was just a cool article I found interesting..
IMO it is the same, sorry if you dont think so. Just like where i work, there's the people that eat their 5 or 6 small meals a day, salads, fruits, veggies, broiled chicken, dont drink soda, have memberships to the gym, and i will work my 12 hours and on my way home stop for 2 Big Macs and fries and work them under the table every day of the week. You either got it or you dont.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

jimd

Post by jimd »

well said likeemfast :)

Newt

Post by Newt »

jimd wrote:well said likeemfast :)
X2