Swampers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bucks better beagles

Swampers

Post by bucks better beagles »

I saw a guy advertising swampers for sale. I am just wondering if they could live in Michigan for any length of time? We have lots of swamps but also snow. What happens if it snows in the southland?

Owl Creek

Re: Swampers

Post by Owl Creek »

you cut the dogs loose and have a heck of a good time.
we have snow and swampers.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

didion419

Post by didion419 »

What are swampers are they just from a certain part of the country

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

You would not want to get caught relocating non indigenous species. Scampers do best in warmer climates with plentifull access to water. Winters with froze over water would be tough on them. They do live in west ky but those rivers stay open
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Are swampers just big cottontails or are they hares.Or are they their own species.I haven't run them much the first one I ever got after my dogs kinda pecked around on it for a few min. like they wern't sure about it.Then they left straight out of hearing,lucky for them I didn't have shock collars back then.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

We've had dogs from up north come to LP trials here and the cast jump a Canecutter (SWAMPER) and the northern dog not run it. I think they thought it was trash. Also a lot of dogs not used to them do not know to leave the trail when it ends at water and swim.
These rabbits are a separate breed. I've never seen a mix.

jerwane

Post by jerwane »

Alabama John, I've seen some dogs (very few though) that could continue to run the swamper after he hit the water and staarted swimming.

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

They are a big cottontail. and i mean big.
if i remember i will try and post a pic tonight.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

jerwane, you are right.
Some though will continue to open and swim following the trail right across still swamp water. Some used to running Canecutters will stop trailing and cross the water picking back up the trail on the other side.
Some will stop, mill around some, and go look for another rabbit. Those will either learn quick or be sold to a cottontail hunter.

smokedawg

Post by smokedawg »

It takes a dog that will reach a little at a hard check to run a swamp rabbit properly. A lot if times, the track will end at a moving body of water. If the hound aint smart enough to swim over and check the other bank, game over, swamper wins. They are just a different subspecies of rabbit and though craftier than a cottontail, they are much easier for a dog to smell. Our dogs generally run them with their head up on high scent just like a trash race. If you dont have a broke tattle tale dog u can trust, when they go out of hearing, folks tend to get nervous. Much more exciting action that running a little streaker.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

anyone know the latin name so i can google them?

Freeman Beagles

Post by Freeman Beagles »

We have a few pictures of some swampers on our web site at: freemanbeagles.zoomshare.com Click on Hunting pics. You can see the differance in the size of a swamper beside a cotton tail.

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

Sylvilagus aquaticus