Are some dogs just gimpy?? or just mine...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mo. Beagler 5000

Are some dogs just gimpy?? or just mine...

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

I have a female that is a great dog and runs all day long but every 5-6 trips she comes up up limping.. Its always different legs and areas that seem to hurt. She never acts like it hurts other than not putting pressure on it.

She had parvo as a pup and I have seen her jump from 5 foot fences onto conrete (not puposfully letting her do it it) and will jump up and down from pick up bed if I let her... She is three years old and had one litter of pups...

I feed her well and keep her healthy but its just more than coincidence at this point that she finishes a hunt gimpy.. She lives in a seneca kennel so that shouldn't be a problem and gets out a couple days a week and usually runs one or two times.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

wireman252

Re: Are some dogs just gimpy?? or just mine...

Post by wireman252 »

I've had this happen as well. Dogs are perfectly healthy , well taken care of , nails trimmed , no sign of injury from thorns or anything. I think they just strain themselves at times while running. Just last week I had a young male running in the pack for 5 hours and came out limping when we were leaving. No sign of any problems other than the limp. Next day he was fine. Leads me to believe he just strained a muscle or joint . Kind of like when we twist an ankle or step in a hole wrong. Hope that's all it is with your dog.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

My buddy had a bitch that we ran on hare for 5 hrs up in Wis. She came by in the early evening limping on one front and one rear leg. I told my friend he better pick her up cause she probably wouldn't make another circle of she looses another limb... :lol:
The woods was swamp with lots of dead falls to go over and under, I think all the over/under of the long day took it's tool on her joints and shoulders and she about give out. Uneven or plowed ground really test the joints and shock absorbers of a hound when ask to run for hours..jmho

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

I have a big 16 inch male who always acts 'gimpy' after a hard run and thats the exact word i used to describe him too. My other dogs can run just as long and act fine.

Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around

Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

I came out limping today too.

sunsetredbeagles

Post by sunsetredbeagles »

We were hunting yesterday and one of mine came up lame.When i got to the house gave her some meds and i actually had to carry her to the box.This morning she was up and walking around good like no problems.I thought she was dehydrated but no signs and cramping up.Not sure at this point what happened.I honestly thought she was having a heat stroke it was very hot yesterday in our area.

Mo. Beagler 5000

sunsetredbeagles wrote:We were hunting yesterday and one of mine came up lame.When i got to the house gave her some meds and i actually had to carry her to the box.This morning she was up and walking around good like no problems.I thought she was dehydrated but no signs and cramping up.Not sure at this point what happened.I honestly thought she was having a heat stroke it was very hot yesterday in our area.
My female acted fine today and I took her out for two hours. She didn't even have a limp.

Seth Shipman

Post by Seth Shipman »

Sounds like your dog has lymes disease. Give her medicene called bird biotic you can get it on the bird biotic website and order it. Give it to her for 21 straight days after the first day you give it to her she should feel bettter but keep giving it to her for 21 days. The stuff is real cheap. It has a picture of a parrot on the bottle.

Seth Shipman

Post by Seth Shipman »

one pill each day

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

wireman252 wrote:I've had this happen as well. Dogs are perfectly healthy , well taken care of , nails trimmed , no sign of injury from thorns or anything. I think they just strain themselves at times while running. Just last week I had a young male running in the pack for 5 hours and came out limping when we were leaving. No sign of any problems other than the limp. Next day he was fine. Leads me to believe he just strained a muscle or joint . Kind of like when we twist an ankle or step in a hole wrong. Hope that's all it is with your dog.

Same here.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Mo. Beagler 5000

Seth Shipman wrote:Sounds like your dog has lymes disease. Give her medicene called bird biotic you can get it on the bird biotic website and order it. Give it to her for 21 straight days after the first day you give it to her she should feel bettter but keep giving it to her for 21 days. The stuff is real cheap. It has a picture of a parrot on the bottle.

Definitely does not have lyme disease. I had a dog with it once and the symptoms were different. Plus, she doesn't have fleas or ticks and is on front-line plus. Hasn't had a tick/flea in a year or so...

Black Rock Kennels

Post by Black Rock Kennels »

sunsetredbeagles wrote:We were hunting yesterday and one of mine came up lame.When i got to the house gave her some meds and i actually had to carry her to the box.This morning she was up and walking around good like no problems.I thought she was dehydrated but no signs and cramping up.Not sure at this point what happened.I honestly thought she was having a heat stroke it was very hot yesterday in our area.

My buddy had the same exact thing happen with one of his hounds the same day. He ended up taking him to the vet an he said his sugar dropped he was a 7 yr old dog running hard all day with my younger pack. The vet said he seen it a lot in bird dogs an lot of the old timers would give their dogs a shot of Karo syrup or honey before the hunt to keep their sugar up, said he would b fine an ready to go by morning
Home of Black Rock Kennels
LPRCH Powerhouse's Sarge