Something getting my rabbits.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

Something getting my rabbits.

Post by rabbitearl »

OK,been having trouble with this pen for the last two years.Something is getting the rabbits.I ve catch 25 rabbits, in the last 6 nights and put them in this 6 ac puppy pen.No dogs has been in it.Walk around in there this mor and found two rabbits that something catch lastnight.OK, real bad fog last night and they catch it under low thich place not out in the open.Have to rule out owl, and hawk.I am thinking a tom cat because both rabbits only the sholder,back and guts were eat.Back legs and head still there.Fur everywere like the rabbit gave a good fight.Now my Question is .What was it?I have two pens on the left side and two more on the right side.Don t have this going on in these pens just this pen.It just seen to me this thing would go to them pens and catch them rabbits.Why just this pen?I don t no but real down and out when something catching the rabbits.Oh and walk in there to try and jump a rabbit with no dogs and could not jump one.What do yall think is a good thing to do?I set two cage traps.Thanks for any info.

Load Em Up

Re: Something getting my rabbits.

Post by Load Em Up »

My dad had that problem once in a chicken coop. Turned out it was a weasel. Not an easy catch either. Good luck. Hope this can help somehow.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Thanks,now that I think about it.Theres alway a small hole in the wire.What he don t eat they RABBITS get out.But I m 53 and never seen a weasel.But I m not going to rule that out.Everthing eles is coming in here that I ve never seen around here.If it ant one thing its another.

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

When that happens in my pen I always find out there was a cat in there. If they hunt at night, hard to find them in there. I've killed a couple of them, rabbits just as you described maybe not as much eaten every time. Hope you find him.
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

TrippleBFarms

Post by TrippleBFarms »

You done what i would have done set some live traps with tuna, and hope for the best. I have a electric wire around the top of my pen, but i caught a cat in there one day. He wont bother any more rabbits.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselvs aginst tyranny in goverment. Thomas Jefferson

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

I'm thinking cat also. I have not had a dog in my pen for a couple of months. My father put some sweet potato's in yesterday for the rabbits.. As he walked around a house cat was spotted. They hunt night and day. :bomb:

powerstroke85

Post by powerstroke85 »

TrippleBFarms wrote:You done what i would have done set some live traps with tuna, and hope for the best. I have a electric wire around the top of my pen, but i caught a cat in there one day. He wont bother any more rabbits.
you can get a solor fencer at tsc for 125 dollars that well help prevent things going over top of it

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

Might not be a bad idea to place a cheap trail camera in the area where you found the half eaten rabbits.
Then you could deal with the predator accordingly.

dog

Post by dog »

possibly a mink , they are on the rise

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Cat, ferret, weasel, mink

I would assume something small like these listed, a buddy of mine has a pen and a ferret ate just about every rabbit in there before he found it and disposed of it!! Now rabbits doing good!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

warddog

Post by warddog »

I've posted this befor but my elderly friend has about a 5 acre pen that he and I turned over 100 rabbits loose in two springs ago and they were ALL gone in less than a month. He couldn't find hide nor hair of a single one of them. I walked the entire fence line and couldn't find any holes in or under the fence. These were all smokey moutain, missouri cottentail cross with swamp and belgian hare rabbits that he and I raised. Ran good for as long as they lasted. :mad2:

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Trail cam souns like a good idea. Didn't think of that.
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

sounds like a mink to me.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

We have alot of Red tail Hawks here in Vermillion county they will clean out a running ground and theres alot of Bald eagles in are area now but I herd they like fish
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

Combs Beagles

Post by Combs Beagles »

Place that trail cam on a rabbit in cage or very specific baits canned tuna, dog food. That should eliminate all flying predators and attract any on the ground possibilities (mink, cats, etc)

I think its a cat.....but I don't know your setup. If it is the tuna is your best bet......caught many house cats this way.