arha lil pack ruff swingers or clean rabbit dogs???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Crow

Re: arha lil pack ruff swingers or clean rabbit dogs???

Post by Crow »

pilotknob wrote:
Alabama John wrote:When points toward winning a trial is based on how many 15 second or longer checks are recovered, it promotes a check creating dog. You can't recover until you lose the rabbit.

If you had one run with very few checks or shorter than 15 second checks, it would get no points and never win.

Interesting to hear folks come back from a cast and say out loud, we did good, had 18-25 checks (loses).

To me and most beaglers, that would be bad, not good.
Well said John,my feelings on the subject exactly.Over the years I have come to firmly beleive that most (not all) checks are mistakes caused by the hounds themselves.I have wished for a long time that there was a format that didn't reward points for checks.I'm not sure there might be one out there I haven't herd of.The question of how to score them without checks is a big one also.I've never came up with a good answer to this either.If there was a way to do it I think it would go along way to promote a better more well rounded,level headed hound.Anyone have any Ideas?
PKC does not score on a check system. It's 100, 75, 50, 25 for 1st through 4th on jump and the same on progressing the race. Example is the rabbit is seen by the majority of a cast and an imaginary line is declared. Then the dogs are scored 1st through 4th as they cross that line (provided they were actually running the rabbit when they cross the imaginary line). Check or no check makes no difference. They can run an hour without a single loss, as long as lines are declared then the hounds are scored as they cross it.

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

S.r. it makes sense. When I said..it takes a dumb dog to follow an a smart one to catch it...that was a qoute from someone who was pretty special to me its not something he ever took to the bank nor would I. Like I said I don't even have swinging dogs any more I have seen dogs cut a pack cause they couldn't hang but the ones I've seen that were really great at it didn't have to swing to have the front i dont like a big swingen dog going a different way these days I tend to like a BAOTB TYPE HOUND
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I had two puppies lived through the parvo when i bred Gypsy to Diamond Ring III., Bredemeier King of Diamonds and Bredemeier Queen of Diamonds. Queenie was a little hunting line running fool, her big brother King was one of them smart hounds, he'd drive ahead down the field and get in the ditch ahead of the rabbit an when Queenie would bring it to him, he'd catch it... :lol: ...that hound was to smart for his own good... :nod:

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

Ya know Sr Matt glomski had two grand pups off diamond ring three about a year or so ago the bitch was like 15 an had two pups but I think a gun hunter ended up with them I guess that will be the end of ole bills dogs..

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Never thought Mcknight or Shavenburger(not sure of the spel) would let them get away. Been yrs since I talked to Donny Graves.
Did the feller Up north ind. that Billy partnered with not keep any thing? What about the lady up near Lafayette that put up Billy's kennels yrs ago?
Ain't seen Joe Craig or if he even has any hounds.
I was always fond of Grandpa Bill, he was so proud of his little hound Trevor. That little hound had a thousand points I bet, don't know if he ever got the first to finish him. We had good times at the Erie Club, I think it was Wednesdays that had the retires breakfast and would run hounds. I was proud to call him my friend.. :nod:

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

Donnie graves hasn't had dogs in years the other people I'm not sure of Albert north of indy has some with a splash he's two good dogs but they are otterbrook he's going with them an patch hounds these days

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

S.R.Patch wrote:Never thought Mcknight or Shavenburger(not sure of the spel) would let them get away. Been yrs since I talked to Donny Graves.
Did the feller Up north ind. that Billy partnered with not keep any thing? What about the lady up near Lafayette that put up Billy's kennels yrs ago?
Ain't seen Joe Craig or if he even has any hounds.
I was always fond of Grandpa Bill, he was so proud of his little hound Trevor. That little hound had a thousand points I bet, don't know if he ever got the first to finish him. We had good times at the Erie Club, I think it was Wednesdays that had the retires breakfast and would run hounds. I was proud to call him my friend.. :nod:
I beleave mcknights are mostly otterbrook now not sure but I think mostly top dog..

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

I have tWo that r half briedmier that I'm liking a whole lot
LP GRCH Skyview Smoke
LP RCH Bryants little buddy

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

Oh satanica an masiah haven't seen em in for ever I know early on those two had a knack for finding rabbits

PrussiaValleyKennels

Post by PrussiaValleyKennels »

I will take a dog that stays tight in the check any day over one that reaches way out,they will check a big reaching dog to death from the inside! PKC is the way to go!JMO :nod:
"Put some power in your pack"
prussiavalleykennels.weebly.com

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

ARHA lil pack ruff swingers or clean rabbit dogs?
The answer is both same as AKC and PKC. I have ran all three and they all have rough
hounds and clean hounds. As far as the formats that think 15 seconds is to long for a
check, I think you guys should stand back and do some counting at your next field
trial. Any pack with foot will lose the rabbit for 15 seconds. If they don't they probably
don't really have good foot. So the answer is BOTH.

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

Parker7 wrote:ARHA lil pack ruff swingers or clean rabbit dogs?
The answer is both same as AKC and PKC. I have ran all three and they all have rough
hounds and clean hounds. As far as the formats that think 15 seconds is to long for a
check, I think you guys should stand back and do some counting at your next field
trial. Any pack with foot will lose the rabbit for 15 seconds. If they don't they probably
don't really have good foot. So the answer is BOTH.
good reply!!!
Another good answer
dont care what everybodys favorite formats are.
I know what formats i like
just want opinons on my question
but thanks for all replys

jeremy rice

Post by jeremy rice »

Jake i would have to say thats why I like you so much u tell it like it is. swinging or running the line it all boils down to the judge there is good ones and bad ones we have all been there. But give me a dog with brains and you can usually make something out of him.
RICE'S BEAGLES
Jeremy, Amy
Zack,Ashlee Rice

jeremy rice

Post by jeremy rice »

but for the record josh I love to watch a clean dog turn a pack and never look back keep driving when the others over ran but thats me
RICE'S BEAGLES
Jeremy, Amy
Zack,Ashlee Rice

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

thanks guys!!!