arha lil pack ruff swingers or clean rabbit dogs???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mike hoover

Re: arha lil pack ruff swingers or clean rabbit dogs???

Post by mike hoover »

Its all about the sweet sweet music.
Beech Creek Beagle Kennel
Big Meadows Promise (RIP)
LPGRCH Kannons Light Lady Buckingham
LPBCH Prevos Rock n Roll
LPBCH Stones Seldomn Scene Bonnie (RIP)
LPRCH BCBK Give it to me Dirty

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

I personally favor a cleaner dog w/ plenty of drive and foot. A dog that knows where the point of loss is an snaps back and works the check out quickly. I don't mind a dog that reaches quickly in the check, but they need to know where the point of loss is. So my personal preference influences what I look for when at lp trials.

Often the dog that I think is the strongest, best rabbit dog in a lp cast is not the dog that wins the cast. But, I'm looking at the cast based on what I like and the dog that I would want to take rabbit hunting. I don't trial alot - been a few yrs since I've even been, but I've won casts and won trials. And it was with cleaner running dogs in often less than favorable conditions.

I get frustrated when the wild crazy insane overstrung dog that has no idea where the point of loss is and struggles to even hold the line end dominating a cast on paper bc they creates check after check and ends up scoring a check re-hitting the line 50 yards - 100 yds. I'd like to see some of these dogs that win try to circle a rabbit on their own.

I recall being on one cast and the dogs went into a check - one of these types of dog grabbed the line way out from the pt. of loss and within a moment the other dogs got the actual check much closer (in my opinion) so we had a spit track. The judge gave the check to the one dog way out that opened first and told the 4 of us to get the our dogs on the track w/ that one dogs that IMO jumped a different rabbit.

So in the 2 or 3 min it took us all to run our dogs down and get them back with the one dog we find out he has scored 3 checks, running on his own in 3 min. Yep he'd run 100 yards and loose the rabbit, get the check and run another 100 yds and loose the rabbit. I wouldn't own that dog, but you can guess which one won the cast. I believe if memory serves he went on the win the trial.

To answer you question - if you want to consitently win in little pack, get a fast swinging dog that claims quick and early and gambles to reach out there to get the check. But, if you want to kill rabbits and field trial w/ the same dog - look for a cleaner dog w/ plenty of foot. Just my opinion.

-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

bwe007

Post by bwe007 »

a good dog is a good dog clean or ruff, faster or slower, akc reg. or grade. i don't care how they circle that rabbit as long as they do it. i have judged many years and have seen clean line control dogs that have impressed me and wild swingers that have impressed me. i have both at my house.
LPRC LPGRBC COAL HILL'S PRINCESS WILLOW 2010 PA STATE CHAMP 2012 PA STATE RESERVE
LPRC HAWG DAWG'S CUPID R.I.P.
LPRC LPBCH EMRICH'S BLUE WILLIE
RHOADE'S ROYAL BLU BELLE R.I.P.

Brooksidebeagler

Post by Brooksidebeagler »

I would say in the last couple of years there are cleaner dogs that are winning just as consistintly as the ruffer dogs. If you have a clean running dog that is fast in the check area claims quick & is rolling as soon as they hit the line they will win in LP period. It doesn't matter are they fast on the outside or the inside but if they bark standing on their heads once or twice before they roll they are going to get run over by another dog.
A good example of a clean dog that holds his own in LP is Jay Hershberger's Blitz dog he won the Champion class Hound of the Year race for 2012 & he is clean not a swinger at all. Also Ky Lucky won runner up in the Champion class also a clean running dog.
Again go look at all the dogs that have won in LP that have also made FC in AKC in the last 5-10 years just that alone is proof that a clean running dog with enough speed can & will win in LP.
R CH B CH Denniston's Big River May Fly
R CH Hurry Up Curly
R CH Little Valley Claire
R CH B CH Hurry Up It's All Speculation

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

Brooksidebeagler wrote:I would say in the last couple of years there are cleaner dogs that are winning just as consistintly as the ruffer dogs. If you have a clean running dog that is fast in the check area claims quick & is rolling as soon as they hit the line they will win in LP period. It doesn't matter are they fast on the outside or the inside but if they bark standing on their heads once or twice before they roll they are going to get run over by another dog.
A good example of a clean dog that holds his own in LP is Jay Hershberger's Blitz dog he won the Champion class Hound of the Year race for 2012 & he is clean not a swinger at all. Also Ky Lucky won runner up in the Champion class also a clean running dog.
Again go look at all the dogs that have won in LP that have also made FC in AKC in the last 5-10 years just that alone is proof that a clean running dog with enough speed can & will win in LP.
nice reply!!

rock pushin rabbit hunter

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

Josh,you seen what im running now and seen how he runs and what he can do. Question answered. Wanna see a clean running dog make a bunch of swingers look stupid in a little pack hunt? Get a ticket to the BIG SHOW! Jump strikes dont hurt either.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

rock pushin rabbit hunter wrote:Josh,you seen what im running now and seen how he runs and what he can do. Question answered. Wanna see a clean running dog make a bunch of swingers look stupid in a little pack hunt? Get a ticket to the BIG SHOW! Jump strikes dont hurt either.
Wanna eat some dust Joey? LOL how you been ol buddy? Get outta them mountains and come down and run with me sometime.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

rock pushin rabbit hunter

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

You'll be seeing me around this year Bair. Going to the world,ky.state,grand nationals,and autism hunt this year. Aint made the tour in a long time but beleive I got something for em this year. Hopefully work will let me make the trips.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

rock pushin rabbit hunter wrote:You'll be seeing me around this year Bair. Going to the world,ky.state,grand nationals,and autism hunt this year. Aint made the tour in a long time but beleive I got something for em this year. Hopefully work will let me make the trips.
Sounds good man. Look forward to it
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

beagleman23

Post by beagleman23 »

fast