which sex m/f

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

boomer72

which sex m/f

Post by boomer72 »

I am a noob and really wonder which is a better hunting dog? male or female. any and all advice is appreciated.

Dale L.

Re: which sex m/f

Post by Dale L. »

You will find good and bad in both. You will get alot of opinions on this but I personally have not noticed one sex out performing the other. My best dog right now is a male but I know people who have excellent females. Some like males due to the fact they do not come in heat and have to be put up for three weeks (usually right at the start of hunting season). I have both and will continue to have both.

Jon Shea

Post by Jon Shea »

You opened a can o worms here LOL. I like males personally, unless you plan on bulding a kennel then you may want females. Males don't go into heat, but like to mess around pi#3'ing & sh#@ting before they get to work.

nchunter102

Post by nchunter102 »

It's what you prefer, it's not that all females are better than males or vice versa. The thing that I like about females is as soon as there out of the box there hunting, not watering the bushes and smelling all the other dogs.

Crow

Post by Crow »

I prefer females myself, they may be in heat a time or two a year and can't hunt but like mentioned above a male is in heat year round, plenty of good and bad in both.

boomer72

Post by boomer72 »

so its basically a toss of a coin on performance as to which will work. got it. what about spaying/neutering will they lose their drive, really more towards female so you dont lose time with her going into heat. i only plan on starting with a single dog so i will need it to go when i want to go. thanks again for puttin up with the redunant questions,

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

What I have notice is most of the male will run the rabbit better and most of the female will hunt better.Not all but most of them.As far as being in heat I just hunting all female and one came in heat I still hunting her.Another thing a female will have a cleaner pen than the male.The male likes to pee in water his food, fight and like they said.A male in heat all the time.You let a female come around thats coming in heat.That male want be worth a flip the rest of the day.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

i like both and own both. the only difference i found is i think the males have a little more stamina. any one else agree?

YoungPup740

Post by YoungPup740 »

I had a bad experience with a female that was a top notch hound the every time I turned around it seem she was in heat 3-4 times a year for some reason so now I only feed males dogs lol I hate not being able to run a dog bc they are I'm heat

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

I prefer to own and run 15" females
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I prefer females....other than their 2 heat cycles they are all business.....they hunt rabbits not just tail like the males. :lol:

joshy4444

Post by joshy4444 »

I think the odds of getting a good dog are better with a female but when you get the once in a lifetime dog it is usually a male for me.

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

My Uncle was the person who got me into beagles and he had some VERY Valid points regarding Beagles.

The Gyp: Yes she does come in Heat twice a year (Average) 40+ Days. :kiss:

The Male : Takes soooooooooooo long "To do his thing" when you 1st put him on the ground--I personally have seen 30 min

And the BIGGEST thing is he is LOOKING for "LUV" 365 days :hammer:

I have found that you have to go through MORE Males to find a good one than Gyps--BUT when found they are usually "Good Uns" :check:

Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

smokedawg

Post by smokedawg »

I own both. I have a higher percentage of female pups mature into good solid rabbit dogs than I do males. However, after sorting out all the male dogs, the ones I have kept have been outstanding. Hunting a a male dog is like riding a stud horse. They can be aggravating and you will have to sort through and cull some but when you get a good one, he is hard to beat. It is worth the trouble you go through to sort them out.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

I like most females personalities better but like many have said you have to deal with them coming into heat every so often. The males I've had tend to be a little harder to deal with sometimes. Right now I have both and they hunt and handle the way I like after working with them of course. I have personally gone through quite a few of each to get what I like.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."