Logan Elm Blue Skim

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chris83

Logan Elm Blue Skim

Post by chris83 »

What kind of foot did this dog put into his pups compared to the foot he had ? How would you rate his foot, I was to young to get to see him go.
Thanks for any and all info.
lprc Harlow's To Small Jax's
lprc Harlow's Attila The Honey

Joshua and Stephanie

Re: Logan Elm Blue Skim

Post by Joshua and Stephanie »

He threw both wild hounds and line control I have a male direct out of skim I have him in with a female right now trying to get a pup out of him before he's gone. he is double duck breed. I really enjoyed the hounds that I had out of skim. does ant body have anything direct out of skim anymore.
Home of World Champion WDPCH GRPCH 4 G's Ruby Red
GRHBCH GRPCH SCHAGS HELI PROP CHOP
UP & COMING 4 g's run with swagger .com

chris83

Post by chris83 »

Joshua tried sending you a pm but it wouldnt let me do you have a phone number.

Joshua and Stephanie

Post by Joshua and Stephanie »

Pm'd u
Home of World Champion WDPCH GRPCH 4 G's Ruby Red
GRHBCH GRPCH SCHAGS HELI PROP CHOP
UP & COMING 4 g's run with swagger .com

JCM

Post by JCM »

Skim was a little on the rough side, but he was a hard dog to beat in a cast. He was really successful in Little Pack hunts and a ton of credit should go to Dave and Scott Surber. They ran him hard to get him right and then ran him in hunts all over the midwest.

When Skim was about 8 months old and just starting to run, I saw him blow past a couple of older dogs and steal a check without looking back. He wanted the front and would get it. As he got older he could run a lot of rabbit and he could get on the front and really make a pack work. He was an aggressive front end type of dog that could drag a pack all over the woods and make other dogs in the pack really struggle to compete.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I had to handle this hard-headed son-of-a-gun quite a few times because Dave and Scott would be off judging other casts. I also finished Skim as a Bench champion, much to Dave Surber's embarrassment. He thought Skim was homely. I thought he was well-structured. Very mild mannered on a lead, but once you cut him loose, he wouldn't handle worth a flip, lol. But the dog could run. Holy smokes. It wasn't that he was such a racehorse, per se - even though he had plenty of foot, but Skim used to do the craziest thing, which in my opinion was what made him so hard to beat in a cast, and backs up what Jim says about him being rough.

Most rabbits will run it's own particular pattern. Straight ahead, turn left, turn left, turn right, straight ahead, etc., and often repeat that if it has proven to save them from capture. A nature thing, I guess. Skim was considered a second half dog. In other words, he didn't really come on until the second half hour of the cast, but when he did ... And then Surbers explained it to me, and I saw for myself, that Skim would spend the first 20 minutes or so learning the rabbit's running pattern, and the second half of the hour executing it. He gambled some, cut corners some, took risks ... because he knew which way the rabbit was going to turn, lol. He was right about 90% of the time. It was always a toss-up when Faith (Surber's other dog, who was a very good dog in her own right) and Skim ended up in a final cast together. Would Faith win with her honest running habits and excellent nose? Or would Skim get over on her by cutting those corners. He often did ... we felt so sorry for Faith those times, lol.

I bred him to Dolly. McCleese's Duck was Skim's sire, and Dolly's Grandsire. I will say this for the litter - I lost foot when I doubled up on the Duck. As opposed to Little Pack speed, they ended up as quicker-footed PP for the most part. It was a good litter of hunters, though, and produced the dog that Josh is speaking of (Skimmer).

Here's a pic of Dave and Scott Surber with Skim after he made Grand. Between the two of them, Scott did most of the actual "handling" because Dave is (yes he is) allergic to dogs!

chris83

Post by chris83 »

Thanks to all that replied, thanks bev for posting a pic.

AV Spencer

Post by AV Spencer »

My judged Skim a few times. My brother, Matt, had Skim for nearly a year at his house. I had him for 3 or 4 months at mine.
I honestly did not think he was rough. I watched Skim from about 5 years old or so. He was tight in the check, sometimes too tight. I thought he ran a clean line as well. He was fast. He had decent search. Dave said if was laid up a while, he hunted pretty good.

I was running Skim one time. He was around 7 years old. I had 2 young dogs that were doing pretty well, I thought. I saw the race begin and ole Skim got so far out ahead of my young hounds, I thought he was crazy. Sure enough, the rabbit came down this lane and not far behind was Skim. He left my dogs.

Skim was a good one. His blood is my kennels today.

AVS
Run for Fun

Jim Stinnett

Post by Jim Stinnett »

Adam,

I agree with you 100%.

I never seen anything out of Skim I would call rough.
BRIAR BUSTEN BEAGLES
jstinnett@upgen.us
AKC & NKC REGISTERED BEAGLES
LAKE VILLAGE, IN
HOME OF: BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER
PCH CHAMPION / GRAND SHOW CHAMPION

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Bev that Story and that pic sure brought back good memories
LP GRCH Skyview Smoke
LP RCH Bryants little buddy

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Ol skim and Jackson ran against each other 6 times, split the pot. The times skim won was a site too behold. I really liked the brothers great guys and great dogs. I miss them days and shared a lot of laughs with them . Thanks for the pic Bev. On subject of Skim.You had to beat him he never beat his self. He could fly on track and hunted hard enuff. I still got a pic of Skim and Jackson standing 1 and 2 on the bench. Tough pair of hounds.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

That was my whole point about the story. Skim wasn't rough on the track; he knew exactly where the track was going, lol. He ran a lot like my ol' Rowdy dog. Rowdy was one of the fastest running dogs to run as much line as he did. You guys remember him? I bet Jim does.

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Jim I sure would like to see that maybe
U could post it on here
LP GRCH Skyview Smoke
LP RCH Bryants little buddy

JCM

Post by JCM »

Mark H wrote:Bev that Story and that pic sure brought back good memories
Yeah, it sure does. Those were two of the best guys to ever come into a clubhouse to run beagles.

JCM

Post by JCM »

:?:
Bev wrote:That was my whole point about the story. Skim wasn't rough on the track; he knew exactly where the track was going, lol. He ran a lot like my ol' Rowdy dog. Rowdy was one of the fastest running dogs to run as much line as he did. You guys remember him? I bet Jim does.
It's kind of funny about Skim. We started him and as a young dog he was rough as a cob. He would never run behind other dogs ever. Skim and his littermate Scam would do anything and everything to get to the front. In fact, my old man traded Skim because he didn't like how he would cheat to get to the front.

As Skim got older he ran more and more rabbit. He was much much closer on a track and a much better dog. By the time he had most of his success in competition he was just a good solid track running rabbit hound. Probably a lot of this had to do with the fact that he was rabbit hunted a lot and didn't hit the competition until he was older. By then he settled down and made a great dog.

As for Rowdy, he was just a good medium speed dog, until somebody wanted around him. He wouldn't give up the front. He just ran and ran and ran. You don't forget good dogs like that.

Plus his handler was always the crowd favorite. :D