another dog food thread.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bigdog

Re: another dog food thread.

Post by bigdog »

beaglecrazy-scott. i have a good friend that lives around new bedford,oh. i think that is where he gets his hi standard dog food. not 100%.

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

Joeyman wrote:why would i pay carl $27 when the rural king in salem Ill sells the same stuff for $24.49 then again salem is a lil over an hr away..

what to do what to do?
I assume $27 was OTD price....Rural King is going to charge you tax. At my counties tax rate that wouldn't be a big enough savings difference for me to walk across the street and hand my money to a corporation vs. a man trying a buck or two a bag (if that).
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Kelly i agree i would rather pay a little small town fella than a corporation, but if i can save a dollar somewhere then thats what i gotta do!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

J Lawhorn

Post by J Lawhorn »

I read when this whole recall came around their was at least 10 other brands of dog food on the recall but being diamond is a bigger name that's the one everyone talked about and some of these brands people mention on here would be pretty hard to even know if they had a recall. Now IMO diamond natural chicken and rice is hard to beat all mine and John s dogs do great on it summer or a foot of snow.

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Joeyman wrote:why would i pay carl $27 when the rural king in salem Ill sells the same stuff for $24.49 then again salem is a lil over an hr away..

what to do what to do?
My first thought is can you drive 100 miles on $2.51 in gas?
and he is right the store will charge you tax.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

April costing you to much money taking her shopping . Tell her to pitch in for dog food ! :D
TheJohnBirchSociety

Bellmorekennels

Post by Bellmorekennels »

The 10 different foods were all manufactured by diamond.
Like natures domain and taste of wild and dig food for pet lovers soul.
All made by diamond

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

7 pages on a food thread........
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

I mostly feed Purina Pro Plan . $42 for 37 pounds. I would barely place it into the " good feed" category. With a little work you can feed a darn Good Feed at half the cost you are currently paying. Every dog food mentioned so far is way too low on what should be the main ingredient, meat! I add deer meat at the rate of about a half pound to my dog's diet every day. Here is what you can do. Deer are plentiful, kill some for grinding into dog food , Get in touch with the Dept. of Highways , let them know you will accept fresh road kills from time to time, whatever you need to do, there is no shortage of them! Fill a freezer full , this is not much work and it isn't like you will be doing it very often. Pick your feed and then cut the amount of it you are currently feeding in HALF or more, and give them about a half pound of burger every day. There is no feed out there for less than $3 a pound that can match that! Here is an experiment I have been running, Been buying purina dog chow, giving the hounds about a half cup and giving them the burger. They are doing better on it than they are on the Pro Plan performance alone, why shouldn't they be! I originally fed this group of hounds a bag every eight days . I am now feeding them a bag every three weeks. Purina dog chow is $22 for a 42# bag. Minus 7 dollars for the Purina Coupon and it is $15 dollars for 42#. So I am paying $15 for a food that last for quite a while at a half cup per hound, and has far better nutrition than any food mentioned, makes sense to me!
Last edited by gwyoung on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

casey, I am looking forward to a thread on wormers, it can't be far behind!

warddog

Post by warddog »

gwyoung wrote:I mostly feed Purina Pro Plan . $42 for 37 pounds. I would barely place it into the " good feed" category. With a little work you can feed a darn Good Feed at half the cost you are currently paying. Every dog food mentioned so far is way to low on what should be the main ingredient, meat! I add deer meat at the rate of about a half pound to my dog's diet every day. Here is what you can do. Deer are plentiful, kill some for grinding into dog food , Get in touch with the Dept. of Highways , let them know you will accept fresh road kills from time to time, whatever you need to do, there is no shortage of them! Fill a freezer full , this is not much work and it isn't like you will be doing it very often. Pick your feed and then cut the amount of it you are currently feeding in HALF or more, and give them about a half pound of burger every day. There is no feed out there for less than $3 a pound that can match that! Here is an experiment I have been running, Been buying purina dog chow, giving the hounds about a half cup and giving them the burger. They are doing better on it than they are on the Pro Plan performance alone, why shouldn't they be! I originally fed this group of hounds a bag every eight days . I am now feeding them a bag every three weeks. Purina dog chow is $22 for a 42# bag. Minus 7 dollars for the Purina Coupon and it is $15 dollars for 42#. So I am paying $15 for a food that last for quite a while at a half cup per hound, and has far better nutrition than any food mentioned, makes sense to me!
Well with the price of ground beef these days I'm NOT going to feed it to my dogs in lieu of myself! Here's an idea that just dawned on me, if you are going to the time and effort of butchering a deer for dog food then why not get in touch with your coon hunting and trapping friends and fill your freezer with those carcasses? OH I forgot I used to eat that stuff too! :shock:

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

wardog, I wouldn't feed Ground Beef either, that would be against the entire concept of inexpensive feed. Why would I want to switch from deer Meat? Deer are free and so much larger than 'coon and other small game, very plentiful, easily processed and when they are done you have a good pile of meat. Besides that I wouldn't waste a 'Coon to feed a dog! Just mentioning what I do to attain a Great feed at very little cost, If any do not want to do so, then simply don't do it.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

On average how long will a processed average size doe last feeding a kennel of 3-5 dogs?
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

John, You should get around 40 to 45 pounds of meat. I dont weigh the packages, I guess at them. I just weighed some though and the average weight of them are 6 ounces. So if you are feeding four hounds along with about a half cup of kibble a day one deer should last you just a little shy of a month. I also let them clean up the bones and this counts as their daily ration so think about one Deer lasting you for a month. I have a friend who slaughters a couple of beef and a hog every year , I help him and I get a lot of fat and trimmings from these along with the hearts, tongues, and Kidneys. If we are feeding anything but the more expensive dog foods ( three dollars a pound) your dogs and mine, are missing meat in their diet if we are not supplementing it! We can talk about what the best is forever, but the fact of the matter is none of what we normally discuss is really good feed. Will dogs do O. k. on it yes, I fed it without supplementing it for years but they will do much better when you supplement it. Bright eyes, Shiny coats, Great immune systems, ( saves a lot on treatments and Vet. Trips) it makes a big difference!

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

joeyman,i feed black gold in the black bag also and i was giving 23.00 a 50 pound bag 4 or 5 years ago now i have to pay 29.00 plus tax still a 50 pound bag.i thought i could find something cheeper and tried 3 or 4 other types but they crapped twice as much sometimes it would be runny seemed like in the field they would keep trying to empty out longer and more then normal.i rank black gold right up there with the best dog foods just like purina they raised there price and then went to 40 pounds instead of 50 i only keep 5 or 6 beagles and dont plan on getting any more then that so i am back to feeding black gold and not gonna say i will feed it forever but i would have to find a real premium quality feed for less then black gold........and that would be like buying an A one jump dog for 200.00 dollars.but i hope you find something in your price range that you like if you do let me know i will try it.but it aint just black gold thats went up its all of them,
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel